HybridZ
luckygerman

V8 vs L28/3.1 vs SR20DET

You guys are killing me with the price of chevy tranny comments. Just because the motor is so affordable for what it is doesn't make the transmission "expensive". Getting a T56 onto ANY ford engine will cost just about double what it does for the LS chevy engines, used vs used, or new vs new. I routinely see T56 transmissions out of camaros on craigslist for well under 1k, usually closer to the $500 mark than the 1k mark. You can actually FIND those from time to time in wreaking yards even. A good manual 5 speed is also easier and cheaper to find too (let it be known that the T5 for the 5.0 is easy to find, but for anything in a reasonable price it'll probably grenade with sticky tires).

I'm not saying it's "cheap", I'm just saying let's make sure it's understood it's not crazy expensive. It CAN be done on a budget if you look around instead of in a catalog.

I'm not completely sure those LS1 weights are accurate. To me that looks like a weight with ALL off the stuff you probably won't use bolted to the engine (power steering, AC, etc). That also might be with flywheel and clutch.

The reason I say that is because from what I've read the bare weight of an all aluminum LS engine is closer to 400-420 pounds, which isn't far off from the stock L series engine which is much taller and longer.

1) Scale in that weighing is NEW, was calibrated new, i.e. IS accurate! hearsay of what others "claim" regarding LS1 weights?!?! Phewy! I put absolutely NO faith in hearsay weight claims!

2) The weight I posted for the complete LS engine was an LM7 not an LS1. The LM7 is the 5.3L iron block variant in the LSx family, the Aluminum block LS1, LS2, LS6, etc, comparably outfitted will be approx 50-60 lbs lighter, so 420 lbs for an LS1, LS2, LS6, (aluminum block LSx), falls right in line with our weighings. :wink:

3) A list of the items REMOVED from that engine for those weights was also quoted, labeled as "MINUS", meaning not there, removed, missing from..." such as P/S, A/C, etc.

2001 GM Vortec 5.3 RPO LM7; IRON block, WET, with Intake & TB, fuel rail, injectors, all 8 coils, water pump, motor mounts, stock IRON exhaust manifolds. As removed from my wifes 01 Suburban.

MINUS;

Flywheel, A/C pump and bracketry, P/S pump and bracketry, Alternator and bracketry.

Scale was zeroed with lifting chains for each weigh;

516.8 lbs.

(Pictured edited out, see original thread)

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=125246

Same as above minus IRON exhaust manifolds;

490.4 lbs.

(Pictured edited out, see original thread)

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=125246

Same as above minus motor mounts, coils, intake, (just the long block w/water pump and damper);

447.8 lbs.

The T56 tranny also doesn't cost $2500 if you're comparing to a used SR tranny. I found a LS2 + T56 for rustrocket's project (you can find it in the project section of this site) for well under $2,000. That's darn close to the cost of a SR20DET.

As Gollum mentioned, LSx T-56’s go for well under $2000. You can regularly find them for $1500 in excellent condition. Picked up my LSx low mile T-56 out of an ’01 WS6, with LS6 flywheel and clutch (less than 500 miles on the clutch and flywheel), for $1650!

Edited by BRAAP

Sorry to dig up old thread, but...I wonder if he ever considered a VQ series motor... I'd imagine they're pretty light, low COG etc etc...

Oh you are so about to get flamed. SEARCH http://sites.google.com/a/vq240z.com/www/twistedsixx

user name on here is 240hoke. Have you ever tried youtube? You will find stuff on there as well.

Oh you are so about to get flamed. SEARCH http://sites.google.com/a/vq240z.com/www/twistedsixx

user name on here is 240hoke. Have you ever tried youtube? You will find stuff on there as well.

I think you misunderstood me. I KNOW the vq swap has been done, I researched it as a swap for my Z. I was simply wondering if the OP ever considered it since it wasn't mentioned...

It's usually better to bring up old dead threads, asking simple questions, rather than starting new threads asking questions that have been asked time and time again. You obviously did some searching by finding this thread, and for that I commend you.

I can't speak for the original poster, but I can definitely mention that the VQ prices have changed dramatically in recent years, so it's consideration over other swaps is in an unstable state. I think eventually (maybe not long from now) the VQ will be a cheaper swap than the L28ET, and other swaps using engines that have long since ended production runs. Though this post isn't incredibly old, the OP might just not be aware of current VQ prices.