HybridZ

First Drive, LS2 V8 Miata

Finally, it's been 3-1/2 years since I started my project and it runs great and I went for a short run down the highway!:cool:

I said I was going to finish the car completely before even statrting it, however boredom & frustration got the better of me. So, no 4 wheel alignment (just tape measurements on the floor), no skid-plate and open headers, I jump out on the 4-lane highway near the house.

The solid feel of the entire car, the freaky smoothness of the clutch and transmission and the tremendous, linear acceleration are ALL GREAT, reminds me of a Suzuki GSXR 1100, but with more integrity than any of the Cobra's I've built or been in and with power windows and a real, convertible top!!

Anyway been a long while since I've posted in here, though I tell you guys, and Thanks Davy for always making me feel welcome in here!!:D

Finished under-hood July 25 2009_thumb.jpg

First Drive 2_thumb.jpg

First Drive 3_thumb.jpg

Rear-end July 2009_thumb.jpg

Rear-end support_thumb.jpg

I remember when I was looking at Miata suspension into the Z I came across a whole raft of sellers for aftermarket Miata gear, including a few mobs that did V8 conversions, including tubular crossmembers to mount in the LS Engine!

Just curious, what is the car like to drive now with the V8 conversion? does it still handle? does it take a nose dive under brakes? how does it compare?

Thanks for your comments guys, I'll try to answer here;

The drive-shaft's about 36", a Z-28 modded unit.

The conversion is a one-off design / fab, there were No Kits when I started 3 years ago, however there are 2 great kits available today just expensive, as you guys probably can imagine from your own experiences. I always get the; "Why didn't you just Buy a Vette or Build a Cobra" comments, YOU guys all know the answer to that one.

The conversion only adds about 118 total pounds to the front end, but is offset by the iron diff Ford 8.8 IRS and added tubular steel rear subframe reinforcement, Balance still very close to 50/50, Total Weight around 2700 Lbs.

I have 3 friends with Ford 5.0 Monster Miatas that I have ridden in street and on track days, I DID steal the idea, except I'm a Chevy Die-hard and like the idea of "starting" with 400 HP Stock.

I think it's a Modern Day; "Sunbeam Tiger":biggrin:

Wicked sick!

The added weight is well worth it I bet. And as much as I'm more of a Ford than a chevy guy, this makes more sense I'm afraid. The LS is considerably lighter than the 5.0, obviously comes with much better heads out of the box, and won't split the block when you start pushing the numbers to the extreme.

Oh, as good as the pics are....

This Thread Is Worthless Without Video... I need to FEEL those open headers!

The LS is considerably lighter than the 5.0, obviously comes with much better heads out of the box, and won't split the block when you start pushing the numbers to the extreme.

Do you have any tech to back up your assertion here? I thought they were really close to the same, or the 5.0 might be just a touch lighter.

Just tons of experience around the 5.0. Obviously they came with iron heads, and they generally weigh in around 500# in stock trim depending on what's bolted to it.

With aluminum heads most guys are HOPING to get them down bellow 450# at best in running trim, and I believe there's proof enough that the all aluminum LS is significantly lighter than that.

The LS engines have about the same bore, and are all around only larger when it comes to deck height, which is about 1" taller.

The LS comes with much lighter intake options which I think helps a bit.

If we were comparing an iron block V8 from GM right now I think the 5.0 would definitely start to fair better, but I fear the strength, or lack there of, of the 5.0 block would start to show greatly in that comparison.

Do you have any tech to back up your assertion here? I thought they were really close to the same, or the 5.0 might be just a touch lighter.

From here: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=128402&highlight=terry

I'm getting that a 289 weighs 454 lbs with aluminum flywheel.

From here: http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/lt4-forum/15290-lt-5-vs-lt1-lt4-weight.html

Although I don't trust it as much as Terry's info, you're looking at 457 with a flex plate and 497 lbs with a flywheel.

It would be nice if our "definitive weight thread had an all aluminum LSx without a trans attached... Regardless, they look pretty close to me, but the 289 (which really should be damn near the same weight as a 302) looks to be a tad lighter.

That's also a carb'ed 289. Those intakes are less than half the size of a full 5.0 EFI intake setup. The later 5.0 blocks are "slightly" lighter, but definitive weight differences are hard to come by. The two engines should be within spitting distance.

Terry's engine is very light for what it is, remember that too. Sure he weighed it with everything on it, but it's also not a steel flywheel, no power steering, no ac, etc.

LS weight came up in another thread in the last few days and Paul (braap) agreed with my ballpark range of a LS being around 410-430 or there abouts.

Both are close enough to not argue about, but something about the LS just makes me give it the benefit of the doubt (and I'm a die hard Ford guy at heart).