HybridZ

4 to 5 lug swap options

Alright I did some quick measurements to verify the different offset.(For whatever reason I still have the stock 4 lug setup lying around).

These measurement were taken from the back side of where the caliper bolts to, and to the front of the hub. This was the easiest measurement to gather with my equipment.

Unfortunately the batteries in my digital caliper were dead so here are the results.

Z31 hub

078.jpg

S30 hub

Note: I did not install the inner bearing as I didn't feel like pulling the seal out of the z31 hub to get the inner bearing. This measurement was taken with the hub almost flush(~1mm) against where the dust shield would bolt.

080.jpg

These two measurements come out to ~4.2"(z31 hub) and ~3.4"(S30 hub). Take in to account that my s30 measurement may not be exact and you get roughly ~.75"

So the Z31 Hub does in fact push the outer most part of the hub outward ~3/4"

Just to be clear, does anybody know if the rotor mounting surface is also moved out by 3/4", 35mm, or some other amount?

I realize that the rotor spacers were stated as 35mm, but it's not clear whether this is purely from the hub offset, or from a combination of the hub and the Z31 rotor.

From eyeballing the pics above it appears that the two hubs are roughly the same distance from wheel mounting surface to rotor mounting surface, but its hard to tell for sure.

I didn't feel like taking the hub off the car to measure it for the Z31 hub but It looks to be 18mm. The 280z S30 hub is 25mm.

Crappy picture but it gets the point across. Z31 hub:18mm.

The 280z S30 hub: 25mm.

I forgot to mention it when I first read your response, but thanks for the quick reply - it was very helpful.

F5LUGSTRUT.jpg

Anyone have a set of these that they could fill in the measurements on the sheet?

tech-wheelfit2.gif

A. Caliper Overhang Distance

Used to determine if wheel dish is adequate (in some cases a spacer is required for clearance)

B. Diameter of Hub Center

Required if wheels are hub centric

C. Wheel Stud Diameter

Required along with bolt circle

D. Height of Hub Center

E. Length of Lug and Thread Type (Fine or Coarse)

Required to determine if longer studs are necessary

F. Distance from CL of Hub to Caliper

Used with A to determine if a spacer is required for proper fitment

G. Width of Caliper

Used with F to determine if wheel ID is adequate to clear rotor/caliper package

H. Diameter of Hub Mounting Face

Used to determine if hub is adequate to support wheel/spacer

Also does this setup put the rotor face in the stock location??

• 3 years later...

Super revival!

Been looking around and im curious I havent found my answer.

So Looking at the z31 hubs, it is pentagonal shaped. My 76 280z front hub is round. I already have the 4x4 setup, so upgrading the hub is as simple as getting the 5lug hub+rotor and possibly a bigger spacer. My real question is looking at the z32 hubs (which are also round like the 280z hubs) are they compatible with the 280z, while using the z31 or z32 5 lug rotor? Assuming I still use the 30-35mm spacer? Or will the design just not work like it will with the z31 hub and rotor? Not sure how much bigger the hub and rotor of the z32 is compared to the z31 or even my 280z. Any info would be cool.

Also di the po ever find out which inner and outter bearing he used during the install (s30 or z31)? 

• 2 months later...
  • 5 years later...
29 minutes ago, Neverdone said:

Thanks Neverdone, but those spacers will not work with Z31 hubs as they are specific to 240Z or 260Z/280Z hubs.  I am specifically looking for the 35 mm spacers for Z31 hubs.

• 1 month later...

I’m going another route to upgrade brakes and 5-lug hubs on my ‘78 280.  I purchased an entire S14 setup that included front spindles, hubs, rotors, calipers, rear differential, hubs, rotors and calipers.  Basically it was a complete rear subframe with the front component thrown in.  I have mocked up the front suspension by removing all the factory S30 coilovers, steering knuckles.  I then installed the S14 left spindle on the right side of the S30 and vise versa.  I fitted custom BC coilovers (280 upper and S14 lower).  It was necessary to switch the spindles sides due to the fact the S14 rack is behind the crossmember.  The steering arms on the S14 spindles turns in so this means the current tie rods were too long so I removed the stock S30 outer tie rods and cut a 37mm section out of them then welded them back together just so I can roll the car around...still looking for a permenant solution for this tie rod issue.   I am waiting on parts from Techno Toys Tuning to mock up the rear, TTT also manufactures a shorter outer tie rod I will likely go with to solve my outer tie rod issue up front.  I’ll end up with 4-wheel disc brake, 5-lug hugs and a vastly safer rear hub that doesn’t rely on a stub shaft to keep the wheel from departing the car.

For the time being a friend offered me a set of 300zx wheels so I can keep her rolling until I buy my Rota RKRs.  

9C7B4FCF-F246-4F19-84F9-A924E94797D3.jpeg

B153E3B4-B0F6-4F1D-9DA1-C3DA4B357FBD.jpeg