HybridZ

My DIY paint job thread...

piston

we carry the 3m pads here at work. in fact we carry everything 3m makes. just kinda pricey. haha. i heard of nason paint also. cheap and affordable but better than dupli color paint shop. ughhh. that stuff is junk. will be wet sanding and buffing out doors next week.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...
I'm fighting the same time constraint. Want to get mine finished before the cold (New Hampshire cold).

I've got just one fender and the lower rear quarter to respray. Had an issue with the base coat lifting in those areas for some reason. I think I didn't allow enough flash time between base coats.

Here is a pic:

P9200019.jpg

Man thats juicy, love that color

holy crap. thats fken sweet and a clean ass engine. i never notice the n/a rb25 comes with the same style 2jz n/a manifold. whats the hp rated at on the rb25 n/a? somewhere on youtube, someone has one wih itb setup in a s30 also.

Edited by piston
edit

I think the powder & ceramic coating(inside & out) would add a few HP :lol::mrgreen::lol:

Looks awesome Pete. Seeing Pistons' and Petes' car has got me primed to tackle a Z myself, I hope I can come even close, both your cars came out awesome.

Chris, you did a great job on the coating. You'll be getting more from me to do soon!

I must say Mad skills .....

I work at a truck (the big ones) body shop and even tough we dont spent that munch time on sanding and such ive always wanted to get a paint job just like that on a peterbuilt classic .... tough our only goal is to not have runs thats all.

i know theres a lot of time u must put on a paint job to not get a ny orange peel and mirror finish .. so mad props to you for showing us how to really show love to our Z's

i am looking foward to see the finnish produc so dont forget to take day & night pictures

• 5 months later...

The paint code is KAD. I personally thinks it's a bit flashy in the sunlight and a bit too modern. It has a lot of metallic flakes sparking in the sunlight. Now i come to look at it, I should of went with a Mica color paint job with one size flake instead of metallic with a bunch of different size flake. Anyhow it does look sick ass hell in light or no light. Not moving yet so still no outside pic's. I for sure will post and update pics when I get it moving or put back together completely.

• 1 year later...

Quick update pic of my almost finish GTR metallic DIY paint job 260z. Have more pics of it in the toyota L6 engine forums here. Looking back at this thread, Man I am so glad paint is all done. I still have the hood to do. Its still metal. lol

SDC12436.jpg

Edited by piston

• 6 months later...