HybridZ

Spin off of spin offs... Lysdexic Palyer haters, untie!...

BRAAP

• Administrators

So how many of you guys used to give swirlies to the gamer geeks in high school? :lmao:

Thank goodness I'm old enough to have missed the gamer era in high school otherwise that would've been me walking out of the boys room with an Ed Grimley hair doo... :shock:

5595902270.jpg

you'd be really surprised how many jocks are active games nowadays.

I just remember how good it felt to walk into a software store at age 21, see my former classmate from high school that used to make fun of me being a geek, behind the counter, trying to be a computer salesman. He tried to make some sort of a joke at my expense. I laughed, and informed him that I was making 4x his salary. Shut him up pretty well.

Being a video game developer, I work with a lot of people that are proud of their nerd-status. We often talk about the nerd-line in the sand that we won't lower ourselves to cross. For me, it stops with tabletop RPGs. I consider LARPing to be below that on the nerd totem pole...tabletops are still just like advanced board games, but dressing up in costumes and yelling "MAGIC MISSILE!" is past my nerd-threshold.

I think there's a misconception that you had to be one or the other. I didn't really claim a set in high school. I got down with the nerds, but I got my skate on too. I don't get to get out as much as I used to, these are from last year:

OSPmax1.jpg

OSPmax10.jpg

While I'm definitely atypical in the specific "other hobbies" I have (skateboarding, dj-ing, z-rodding)in my office, I'm not that atypical in that i have "other hobbies." One guy is really into mountain biking and improv comedy, another guy is in a band, one of our artists is in a softball league...I think one of the good things about being an adult (as opposed to high school) is that you no longer have as much pressure to identify yourself with a particular lifestyle in order to determine your social value.

• Administrators

My wifes son is one of the most recognized names in cooperate Apple... and Nike. He's a Geek and a 21 time world record holding athlete.

CB1-1.jpg

CB2.jpg

CB3.jpg

Like father, like son...

QB1.jpg

(Pictures courtesy of BRAAP)