HybridZ

I wonder how your all feeling about this...

78280z

Honestly, I type this style because it was in the rules, most other forums I am registered on I use no caps at all, but since it is in the rules here and I have seen enough complain about it that I try to do my best to use capitals, correct punctuation, and spelling when I post on hybridz.

I have also been working on my "your" and "you're" because I started noticing how often I was getting it wrong.

That's actually the same reason I do. If you look at some of my first posts, there's no caps. However, I decided I like this better, so I do it at most forums now most of the time. I've always paid attention to you're/your they're/there/their, etc. though.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrong cases, apostrophe abuse, muddled contractions, lack of punctuation, capitalization...

Look, my writing and speech isn't perfect, .....

And let's not forget to rant about subject/verb agreement while we're on the topic. :)

Dennis

You all guys need to learn hows to spell. I have a been working on english for all my years thats i has been able to speak it... So Why Do You No Like It When People Type Like This??????

That was really hard to type like a 4th grader.

Guest conway240

I hope my spelling and syntax are up to snuff, here. Sure, we all have pet peeves, and I agree that the borderline illiteracy rate in this country is alarming. No offense, but I'm glad I'm not one of the guys who had his post or ad pasted into the forum as the brunt of a joke.

BTW.....this is the "most bestest" forum ever.

irregardless of your feelings...

more education suposably will make it all better...

it's prolly never going to change...

(Multiple Periods Normally Indicate an Incomplete Thought, the verbal equivalent of stopping in mid sentence and inviting someone else complete the thought or phrase, usually an obvious conclusion or sometimes not-so-obvious. Example: "Well, when I got there and saw him with that sheep, I thought 'man where did he get those boots'...")

Yes, I had fun typing this...

Regarding the original post about the McDonalds receipt, does it really matter if it is grammatically correct or not, because most people who eat McDonalds garbage wouldn't know if it was grammatically correct to begin with or can't read anyway! Just an other indication of how intelligence is on the slide. My 2 cents worth!

To the OP - so did you purposely use "your" instead of "you're" in the subject title? Because yes, it annoys me :-)

Yes I did that purposely. :mrgreen:

Regarding the original post about the McDonalds receipt, does it really matter if it is grammatically correct or not, because most people who eat McDonalds garbage wouldn't know if it was grammatically correct to begin with or can't read anyway! Just an other indication of how intelligence is on the slide. My 2 cents worth!

Yes, I believe it matters regardless of the stereotypical McDonalds customer. Maybe if McDonalds had it right, customers who may be less educated might have a chance to learn the proper usage. Anyway, McDonalds is a business and should conduct itself professionally (should be responsible for using proper English in all ads, documents, and so on).

Well, I'm glad that other members here share my pet peeve and others related to using proper English.

I think its great that many members have actually learned about professional writing and proper grammar here on HybridZ. Thank you to all of the administrators who have made it possible for members to get a free grammar lesson while learning about the great Z car. :wink:

Guest conway240

Yes, I believe it matters regardless of the stereotypical McDonalds customer. Maybe if McDonalds had it right, customers who may be less educated might have a chance to learn the proper usage. Anyway, McDonalds is a business and should conduct itself professionally (should be responsible for using proper English in all ads, documents, and so on).

It's McDonald's (w/an apostrophe).

while i often dont use capitals or apostrophes when typing on the intrawebz, its usually for speed and the rest of the syntax and spelling are there at least.

as for those that completely butcher the language i blame texting and instant messaging. you get lazy doing it and there is almost never anyone to correct it. people become comfortable with incorrect spelling and grammar and it is passed on. and the best excuse i hear to explain it is "its the internet, who really cares?"

It's McDonald's (w/an apostrophe).

Guilty as charged. :mrgreen:

We all make mistakes here and there, but my overall point is that grammatical errors are allowed to slide way too often these days (especially in professional situations).