HybridZ

1/4 mile half shaft CARNAGE!

DREW RBZ

Well...first time this car has been to the track. I have not done any quarter mile stuff in years...and now I know I need practice. First run was done at 19psi with drag radials. (dynoed at 445rwhp at 18psi.) Not sure what car weight is

Reaction: .926 :icon56:

Sixty foot: 2.031 :icon45:

1/4 mile: 11.86 @ 111.159mph

Completely missed 4th gear and coasted in neutral through the traps. Second run....launched at 4500rpm and snapped a half shaft...let off before any further damage. Here are some photos of the carnage below. Snapped the shaft in half. End of my day:mrgreen:

So...time to upgrade the shafts...likely going with Wolf Creek Racing CV's

Any guesses to what this thing might run with someone who can drive??

_ATS1689_thumb.jpg

_ATS1682_thumb.jpg

_ATS1683_thumb.jpg

_ATS1684_thumb.jpg

:2thumbs:

How long were you running those shafts before they broke. Im only pushing around 300hp/tq and was wondering if the stock shaft will take some abuse on street tires before breaking. I've been babying them and seeing you post makes me think they can take more abuse than I thought.

Not sure of the history of these shafts but my guess is they are well used! There are guys putting down a lot more torque than I do without doing this kind of damage. Ive seen quite a few posts about broken half shafts and most are the result of extreme shock such as drag racing with sticky tires or road racing. I would think you will be alright on the street as long as you dont dump the clutch too hard at higher revs. I will not do any more quarter mile stuff until I get the CV conversion done...I think I am lucky to have not done any damage to the underside of the car/lines etc. when it let go...

Seems the stock half shafts don't like hi rpm, rb launches. especially with a strong clutch and traction. I was ok with mine till i started adjusting tire pressure to hook up. the V-8 auto guys dont seem to have half the problems we do with twice teh HP:icon56:

God Drew that looks nasty. Like you say lucky that didnt tear through the floor. The guy who fitted my fuel surge tank has positioned it above the drive shaft which I wasnt too happy about - now I'm definitely moving it.

The CVs you mentioned - what are they, do they fit an R200 etc etc

regards

Canadian Z: The diff is a 3.7 lsd. Tires are Nitto Drag radials at 16psi.

Mike Rowe: The Wolf Creek Racing axles I refer to are here: http://www.wolfcreekracing.com/wcrcvhalfshaftaxlekit.pdf You have to specify that they are for the R200 when ordering.

Speaking with a couple of people who have run these they seem to be very tough but also mention that they are a bit "loose" describing the play in the shafts?" Not sure how this occurs but I was hoping one of the benefits of these CV's would be to tighten things up. I might go with the 300zx shafts I have for now...not sure yet.

those are some heavy duty axles.

i bet those nittos hooking had something to do with the those axels going poof!

the looseness or play in the shafts is probably from the CV design. perhaps being of a different design they require a lot more free play to operate at higher power levels.

who do you know that runs these and what kind of power/tq are they making?

Drew: Not sure if you have a 300ZXT R200 CLSD but Modern Motorsports (MM) has BEEFY Stub Axles that replace the 280Z stub axles (Eliminating design weak spot in 280Z stub axles). These together with 300ZXT half shafts should take MUCH more torque applied to the rear drive. They were designed to eliminate MM customer repeatedly SNAPPING new MM 280Z replacement stub axles.

Normally the failure mode is at the U-Joints.

It appears there was a section there which had a 'crack' previously. Hard to tell from the photos, but that would be my intuition. Especially since it looks like you have the 'zerk style' U-Joints, which generally frag-out at the tapped holes for the zerks!

Put it on the "Offerings to the Gods of Speed" Shelf.

Everybody has one.

You should, too.

It has only begun!

Canadian Z: The diff is a 3.7 lsd. Tires are Nitto Drag radials at 16psi.

Mike Rowe: The Wolf Creek Racing axles I refer to are here: http://www.wolfcreekracing.com/wcrcvhalfshaftaxlekit.pdf You have to specify that they are for the R200 when ordering.

Drew these look excellent and are good value I think - just expensive for freight to us in Aussie. I may get a set of these

I make upper 300's and only broke the aftermarket Zerk'd U-Joints. I bought stock axles with stock U-joints for both sides and have given them hell on the street and on the track with street tires. Lots of clutching action and they still haven't grenaded.