HybridZ

Dodge D600 help

mobythevan

I have a 1974 D600 2.5 ton truck that is in pretty good shape overall and runs good. There are a couple things I need to get fixed and I'm not sure where to go. I need to get the brake booster and master cylinder rebuilt. I also need to get the emergency brake band re-lined, it goes around a drum on the driveshaft. Do you guys have any shops that you use for this kind of stuff? I checked a couple local bearing type shops figuring they would know where to get trucks worked on, but no luck yet. I'll keep checking around.

BTW, I am not sure the booster need rebuilt. It works OK, just makes a lot of squeaking noises when I let off the brake pedal and the air has to get out around the rod from the pedal on the inside of the cab. Scares the hell out of me sometimes. It just squeaks and oscillates like a siren, maybe something is blocking where air goes in and out around that rod??

Nevermind, after running all over town I ended up talking to a knowledgable guy and I got a new/rebuilt booster and master cylinder ordered for $500. Cool, can't wait to get this beast on the road again. Also found a shop to re-line the parking brake band. What are we going to do when these older gentlemen no longer run shops to rebuild parts like this??

Guest Rolling Parts

Wow, interesting truck!

I have the same thoughts about Z parts in the near future being harder to come by. You just can't go to AutoZone and find a 74 260Z brake booster either these days.

• 1 month later...

There is a place in Kansas that still rebuilds the master cylinders and brake boosters. If you local heavy duty truck parts dealer doesn't know about them then PM me and I give you the phone number of the shop I went through and they can hook you up with the contact info.