HybridZ

maf carb

No. That's not how carbs work. They are not electonically controlled so the MAF signal would have no place to go and nothing could be adjusted by it. In a sense carbs are already controlled by the air flow mass, as the more air goes through them the more fuel it takes with. It's just that the jet/needle sizes don't work exactly right at all flow rates.

Could you make a plenum for carbs, with a an maf sensor in it, that controls the fuel injection?

Just to give you a heads up, carbs don't have fuel injectors. Carbs are basically controlled chaos in terms of fuel delivery.

I am assuming you have SUs (could be totally wrong) but watch those videos, they explain how they work.

Just to give you a heads up, carbs don't have fuel injectors. Carbs are basically controlled chaos in terms of fuel delivery.

I am assuming you have SUs (could be totally wrong) but watch those videos, they explain how they work.

That's a close second to what I've heard: That they're "barely controlled fuel leaks"

Carbs are basically controlled chaos in terms of fuel delivery.

If you setup the carb properly and dont just take it out of the box, change the jets and set the idle, they can be fairly efficient at what they do, no where near as efficient as aftermarket EFI systems, but you can't beat the price tag on a carb though.

(not trying to start anything, just saying)

For the cost of just a set of SU's that came straight off the car you may be right. But trip side drafts are pricey! If you get a good mani and unless you find a scorching deal on a set of carbies, you spend big bucks, especially re-jetting one. When I looked at the cost of just a good set of mains for the Mikuni's I would need to budget from 50 bucks up.

Re-jetting Megasquirt is free ;)

For the cost of just a set of SU's that came straight off the car you may be right. But trip side drafts are pricey! If you get a good mani and unless you find a scorching deal on a set of carbies, you spend big bucks, especially re-jetting one. When I looked at the cost of just a good set of mains for the Mikuni's I would need to budget from 50 bucks up.

Re-jetting Megasquirt is free ;)

I was being general with carbs, as your average new 4 barrel carb is around $350 and around $30 for a complete jet kit, and well triple's go anywhere from $500-$1500 used and i have no idea what the jets go for, but they must be expensive as hell though.

• Administrators
You couldnt somehow put the fuel injectors in the carb, so you could use a computer to control the a/f mixture, and it wouldnt get off at high rpms?

One of our members has converted his SU's to Throttle Body Injection... http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=136397

Another member is using the SU manifolds with 280ZXT throttles (could use SU's) for Multiport Injection... http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=124201

Regarding MAF... It may not be worth the expense and trouble to use a MAF sensor. Most people will be happy with a MAP sensor providing the load data.

Edited by RTz

One of our members has converted his SU's to Throttle Body Injection... http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=136397

Another member is using the SU manifolds with 280ZXT throttles (could use SU's) for Multiport Injection... http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=124201

Regarding MAF... It may not be worth the expense and trouble to use a MAF sensor. Most people will be happy with a MAP sensor providing the load data.

Hmmm, I may do that system, its EXACTLY what I was trying to describe in my post. (although I didn't have the tb idea). Could the injectors be welded in with a mig welder?

i would like to do two performance throttle bodies, on the dual su intake manifold, with fuel injectors in the manifold, and a mega squirt laptop tuned setup. Is this do-able?

We already have the intake manifold, and fuel injection system for the car.

Sure it is. You'll need to find the right TB's like the member that RTz linked to. But it looks like he took the SU mani and cut off the bottom of an EFI manifold and welded them together. If you just wanted to add injectors I don't think it would be too difficult, but I would def. recommend that you TIG it or have someone else TIG it. I'm not sure that you could get away welding alloy that old without cracks. Or at least I couldn't ;)

Sure it is. You'll need to find the right TB's like the member that RTz linked to. But it looks like he took the SU mani and cut off the bottom of an EFI manifold and welded them together. If you just wanted to add injectors I don't think it would be too difficult, but I would def. recommend that you TIG it or have someone else TIG it. I'm not sure that you could get away welding alloy that old without cracks. Or at least I couldn't ;)

Alright what kind of shop would I talk to about welding it?