HybridZ

how can I make it faster

Hello, I have a 73 240z that has a l28 and a 5 speed. It has su carbs and original air filter. Ive had it tuned up, but it just doesnt seem to have the power I thought it should.Maybe its just me. Around 4500 rpm it seems to be maxed. Maybe some of you know an easy or inexpensive way to increase horsepower until I can afford more.I just spent all my money on rims(axis bonzai) they come in, in a few days.If anyone has advice please let me know.

100_3154_thumb.jpg

Not smart ass answer:

Were not totally being smart asses.

Were encouraging the use of the search function, because its ALL there in the archives.

And discouraging the spoon feeding of people who are to lazy to search for themselves, because again, its ALL there in the archives.

Guest Rolling Parts
...it just doesnt seem to have the power I thought it should...I just spent all my money on rims

First off, find out what you have. Your car has already been modded with an L28 so find out what kind of L28 was tossed in there, what head was installed, what distributor is in it, and what needles are in the SU's.

For a little help in getting a ball park idea on mods, have a look here first:

http://datsunzgarage.com/engine/

When you find out what you have, you can ask where to go from there.

I'd do some work on your SUs. I have almost the same setup and I can twist mine up to 6000 with power. I used to top out much lower than that (maybe it was around 4000) when my SUs werent balanced.

Not smart ass answer:

High compression flat top pistons

Upgraded exhaust manifold and carburetor

High flow exhaust and headers

Racing Camshaft

Wow, i'd like your budget if you consider those inexpensive! :mrgreen:

Instead of being a total smart ass, I am going to post some helpful info on why your car might be falling on it's face at 4500rpm. What an interesting thought on a bulletin board.

Ben, if you want more power you should take a good hard look at what you have now. Your L28 should not be maxing out at 4500rpm. It doesn't matter what you add, unless you find out why it's falling on its face, the addition of more parts won't help you much! I'd start by taking a good look at the basics and make sure they are ok, or simply swap with new if they are questionable. Spark plugs, fuel filter, distributor cap & rotor, air filter, ignition leads... you should likely replace all of these as peace of mind. (esp. fuel filter!)

I'd take a good look at the size of your exhaust system, a 2.25" crush bent system works very well on a street build L28. Anything smaller than that is likely costing you some power.

After you are sure everything is in good mechanical condition, THEN tune your carbs.

Biggest bang for the buck for a faster car for you:

- Make everything work properly

- Exhaust

- Increase rear differential ratio (at the sacrifice of highway speed a little)

Hope that helps.

Edited by Drax240z

I'd do some work on your SUs. I have almost the same setup and I can twist mine up to 6000 with power. I used to top out much lower than that (maybe it was around 4000) when my SUs werent balanced.

Wow, i'd like your budget if you consider those inexpensive! :mrgreen:

didnt read the inexpensive part lol

These old cars are notorious for rusty junk in the fuel tanks. I'd check the fuel filter and make sure you are getting good fuel pressure. Once the fuel delivery is straightened out, a little more cam would help extend your RPM range. Due to your low compression you'll need to stick with a short duration cam (stage 1-260 advertised duration) similar to the Nissan "C" cam.

This motor doesn't gain much performance with cheap mods. If you want real results, save up your pennies and do a PROPER upgrade [turbo, cams etc] or do a swap [V8, RB, whatever].

Saying you want a lot of performance for not a lot of money right after you said you spent a large portion of your budget on aesthetics [rims] doesn't help.

There is plenty of information on here and if you would have read the forum rules it already says this and directs you to use the search function and stickies.

Good luck with your project.

Edited by Drax240z

thanks for the info guys. The car runs well, thats why I bought the wheels. This is definetly not the first mod Ive made but I do find it foolish that I dont know if the fuel filter has been changed.Ill check it out.Thanks and Ill post the og bozai wheels when I get them.(if the rules allow it).

thanks for the info guys. The car runs well, thats why I bought the wheels. This is definetly not the first mod Ive made but I do find it foolish that I dont know if the fuel filter has been changed.Ill check it out.Thanks and Ill post the og bozai wheels when I get them.(if the rules allow it).

There is a thread called "Wheel Show" :) Post 'em up!