HybridZ

Driveshaft Length

NCZZZ

I have a 1971 Datsun 240Z. The car initially still had the straight mustache bar resulting in the old incorrect drive angle problem. I have since installed an R200 Diff. and installed the curved mustache bar. The car also now has a 5 spd. transmission from 83 ZX. My problem is that I do not have the appropriate drive shaft to measure (to have one made) as the original one is now too short.

I know that I need a driveshaft from a 72'-74' (72'-73' 240Z/74' 260Z) Coupe. I am looking for the measurements from the correct driveshaft from the end of the transmission slip yoke to the face of the rear pinion flange. I have one measurement at 29 7/8". Just looking to verify.

Thanks, Nigel.

The driveshaft shop I am working with has a length of 29.875" on file as the length from end of slip yoke to the face of the rear flange. This is equivalent to 758mm. Based on your measurement, I'll have to say they are probably close enough to go with that. I was looking to verify their measurement before I spend the money.

NCZZZ

When I had my driveshaft shortened for my 240SX transmission swap, the original length between the U-joint (yoke) centers was 22.5" (I had it shortened to 20.5").

Steve.

Which is ~50mm, which is the difference in length of the two transmissions, and also the early and late 240Z driveshafts. The Japanese are typically pretty good about rounding part dimensions to the nearest 1, 5 and 10mm’s depending on the part. So, for example, it’s unlikely that you’ll find something that’s 448.469mm. This makes it really easy to take measurements with a simple ruler or tape measure and be confident that they’re accurate. Unlike if your dealing with parts designed in inches where it could be 17 & 5/8 of an inch, 17 & 21/32, or 17.600, which is kind of hard to determine with a tape measure.

Fortunately, driveshaft dimensions aren’t that critical…

Nigel

'73 240ZT

• 3 years later...

Used the search function!!!! bringing this back from the dead since it was close but didn't for sure answer my question.

I'm pretty sure that if you do the 4 to 5 speed conversion you need the 5 speed drive shaft correct? I'm currently having some vibration issues and before i go out and buy a drive shaft from a junk yard i want to make sure I get the correct one.

The later (Type B) 4 and 5 speed transmissions are the same length and use the same drive shaft. For example, I've had a 78, 80 and 83 5 speed in my 76 car that came with a stock 4 speed and the original 4 speed shaft worked fine. Plus it was identical to the drive shaft that came in the car I got the 78 5 speed from (bought a parts car).

Pretty sure that the early 4 speeds are the same length also. The drive shaft length changed with the diff mounting position. Early is about 28 3/8", later is about 29 3/4". I think that it's been determined that the measurements in Nigel's picture in Post #2 are off a little bit.

Not sure if that's your question since your sig says RB26DETT, 2-speed Powerglide, etc. Different car?

Edit - B followed by parens = smug face apparently. (Type B)

Edited by NewZed