HybridZ

early 240Z cruise control level?

If I remember correctly the some of the early Zs do have mechanical cruise control (hand throttle) by lever located in the center console. The cable links to the accelerator pedal, thing is it doesnt release the pedal even if you step on the brake so it is very prone to accident. I advise you not to hook it back up.

I can see that being a possible problem. I cannot find a single reference to the cable being still connected. My 68 Datsun 2000 has the same thing built into the dash. Its a neat idea.

I will have to consider not hooking it up now.

The next thing to tackle is those 2/3 switches that are just rearward of those 2 cable levels. One is parking lamps on the passenger side and the other is the rear defroster/defogger.

Thanks

Guest Rolling Parts
If I remember correctly the some of the early Zs do have mechanical cruise control (hand throttle) by lever located in the center console. T.

That picture does not look like a U.S. spec 1971 Z car.

Since this is a 1971, the cable connects to the lower part of the carburetors.

It's not a chock per se; but it does accomplish the same effect by lowering the nozzle in the carbs to allow more fuel than normal for starting/warmup.

Same with the throttle cable on JDM cars, it was not a cruise control per se, it was fixed throttle setting. Kinda nice in some situations but no wonder it did not make it to U.S. market where drivers expect auto-disengage on BOTH the clutch and the brake...

I have both levers in my 11/70 240Z. To clear the issue, there were some 240Z's produced with two levers in the center console. The closest to the driver (LHD) was the enrichment lever. Most call this a choke but that is not how it functions. The second lever, right next to the enrichment lever, is actually a fast idle control, NOT cruise control. It is there to kick up the idle so the fuel enrichment can be disengaged. This prevents the spark plugs from loading up with excess fuel while the engine is warming up. It is usually used only when the car is sitting static, not being driven. This single cable attaches to the top of the throttle pedal. The cable housing is held in place by a bracket spot welded to the firewall above the throttle pedal. Most 240z's do not have that bracket. If you choose to hook this fast idle control up DO NOT use it for cruise control!!!! It does not disengage when you remove your foot from the throttle pedal or when the brakes are applied. The possible results of doing so could kill you or someone around you.

Guest ttoude

maby I can help my 77 came with some kinda wierd cruise control option. I gonna toss it but it's still installed, Let me know what you need a pic of i cant tell the location of the cable from the orig post.

That picture does not look like a U.S. spec 1971 Z car.

Since this is a 1971, the cable connects to the lower part of the carburetors.

It's not a chock per se; but it does accomplish the same effect by lowering the nozzle in the carbs to allow more fuel than normal for starting/warmup.

Same with the throttle cable on JDM cars, it was not a cruise control per se, it was fixed throttle setting. Kinda nice in some situations but no wonder it did not make it to U.S. market where drivers expect auto-disengage on BOTH the clutch and the brake...

All the 1970 and early 1971 240Zs I have ever seen have had this hand throttle, or at least the spot in the center console for it. I dont know when it was no longer used, but it was part of the Fiberglass center console as the backing plate is all cut for the 2 levers and the plastic cover plate is also cut for the levers.

On the Roadsters the throttle cable is attached above the pedal to the beginning of the pedal linkage.

I have both levers in my 11/70 240Z. To clear the issue, there were some 240Z's produced with two levers in the center console. The closest to the driver (LHD) was the enrichment lever. Most call this a choke but that is not how it functions. The second lever, right next to the enrichment lever, is actually a fast idle control, NOT cruise control. It is there to kick up the idle so the fuel enrichment can be disengaged. This prevents the spark plugs from loading up with excess fuel while the engine is warming up. It is usually used only when the car is sitting static, not being driven. This single cable attaches to the top of the throttle pedal. The cable housing is held in place by a bracket spot welded to the firewall above the throttle pedal. Most 240z's do not have that bracket. If you choose to hook this fast idle control up DO NOT use it for cruise control!!!! It does not disengage when you remove your foot from the throttle pedal or when the brakes are applied. The possible results of doing so could kill you or someone around you.

I kinda figured it would not disengage like electronic/pneumatic cruise. What is funny is that your right about the lever on the LH side... Even though they are all marked "Choke" on '72 -'74.

Thanks for the insight behind its actual use.

ray

The hand throttle hooked to the throttle pedal. A little 'c' shaped bit of metal was tacked on the side of the pedal to hook the hand throttle ball into (kind of like the hood release lever, but 'not a box')...

Actually the enrichment lever on the SU's did kick the throttles open a bit but the hand throttle could be used to overcome that and open them even more.

It's a holdover from the development of the 165HP Triple Mikuini PHH Carburettor Option that never made it to our shores. They used a 'starter circuit' as well, but did not have a fast idle cam, so having a hand throttle to hold the carbs open further after starting the engine using the starter lever was necessary till the coughing of lean emission-jetted Mikuinis got some heat into them... (Somewhat like the SU's if you open the throttle on mikuinis while cranking the car and engaging the carb starter system, you kill the vacuum to that circuit and render it useless)

Like Paul Harvey says: And now you know...the rest of the story.

Litigious nature of the USA got those hand throttles removed Post Haste!

Same as our 83ZX's got foot on brake to shift the damn Automatic solenoids well before Audi and the Nannystate Mandate that you have to have a device to make you put your foot on the brake before you can shift the car out of park....

Incidentally, the Camry I have as a rental right now has a manual bypass for the foot on brake function. All I need to do to put the car in a gear is press the button (reached with a fingertip when my hand is on the shifter) and shift away! Think the '09 Camry's got that in the North American Market???????

Incidentally, the Camry I have as a rental right now has a manual bypass for the foot on brake function. All I need to do to put the car in a gear is press the button (reached with a fingertip when my hand is on the shifter) and shift away! Think the '09 Camry's got that in the North American Market???????

If they did, it would probably only be accessible through a keylock like turning off the passenger airbags in Chevy pickups...