5 replies to this topic

#1 stony

stony

RB Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 4286 posts
  • LocationSyracuse Utah

Posted 26 August 2009 - 09:42 PM

I have 2 options. cut and trim to the point i have a butt weld then weld in the panel in or use a tool like this
Posted Image
cut fabrication time in half with this useful two-in-one tool.

* Heavy duty head rotates 360° to easily crimp flanges or lap joint sheets and pipes
* Punches accurate 3/16" holes for fasteners or welding
* 16 gauge steel capacity

Basically create a flange that the replacement panel sits in then weld it in. to me it seems if i had the flange tool it would be much easier and forgiving when the welding starts.

5.3 truck motor, BTR stage 2 cam, BWs480, custom intercooler, AEM Infinity, 2 speed powerglide, Fully built Ford 8.8, 4:56 gears/spool, 4 link suspension.

#2 Mike kZ

Mike kZ

Super Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 2521 posts
  • LocationAtlanta GA

Posted 27 August 2009 - 05:09 AM

I would go with the flange tool. Are you going to replace the whole quarter panel, or splice in part of one? You can use the tool to punch holes along the edge for the whole panel, or flange to splice one on.

Edited by Mike kZ, 27 August 2009 - 05:33 AM.

#3 johnc

johnc

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9739 posts
  • LocationLa Habra, CA, USA

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:01 AM

You will have to use both methods because you won't be able to flange every seam. A lot also depends on how original you want the replacement panel to appear. Butt welding and grinding will give a more original appearance when the panel is viewed from inside the car.
----- John Coffey, Fabricator at Benton Performance, LLC

#4 stony

stony

RB Moderator

• Super Moderators
  • 4286 posts
  • LocationSyracuse Utah

Posted 27 August 2009 - 09:43 AM

here is a pic of how i plan on cutting and flanging. not real worried on how it looks on the inside. I may not cut around but above the fill cap. might use some sheet metal and cover the gas door area anyways.

Attached Files

5.3 truck motor, BTR stage 2 cam, BWs480, custom intercooler, AEM Infinity, 2 speed powerglide, Fully built Ford 8.8, 4:56 gears/spool, 4 link suspension.

#5 Roostmonkey

Roostmonkey

HybridZ Supporter

• Donating Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • LocationPepperell Ma.

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:16 AM

I would put the weld seam on the body line just above your marks.

#6 johnc

johnc

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 9739 posts
  • LocationLa Habra, CA, USA

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:44 AM

I just did a 1968 Camaro and I'll post some pics here of how I did the rear 1/4 panel. I went over the top of the upper body seam to make sure the width of the new panel (how far it stuck out from the body) was the same as the other side of the car.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
----- John Coffey, Fabricator at Benton Performance, LLC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users