HybridZ

best way to weld in 1/4 panel???

stony

I have 2 options. cut and trim to the point i have a butt weld then weld in the panel in or use a tool like this

01110.gif

cut fabrication time in half with this useful two-in-one tool.

* Heavy duty head rotates 360° to easily crimp flanges or lap joint sheets and pipes

* Punches accurate 3/16" holes for fasteners or welding

* 16 gauge steel capacity

Basically create a flange that the replacement panel sits in then weld it in. to me it seems if i had the flange tool it would be much easier and forgiving when the welding starts.

I would go with the flange tool. Are you going to replace the whole quarter panel, or splice in part of one? You can use the tool to punch holes along the edge for the whole panel, or flange to splice one on.

Edited by Mike kZ

You will have to use both methods because you won't be able to flange every seam. A lot also depends on how original you want the replacement panel to appear. Butt welding and grinding will give a more original appearance when the panel is viewed from inside the car.

I just did a 1968 Camaro and I'll post some pics here of how I did the rear 1/4 panel. I went over the top of the upper body seam to make sure the width of the new panel (how far it stuck out from the body) was the same as the other side of the car.

LR-1.jpg

LR-4.jpg

LR-5.jpg

LR-11.jpg

LR-12.jpg

LR-13.jpg

LR-14.jpg