HybridZ

78 280zx ISMA Vintage class racer

frank280zx

As some of you know

I have a zxr that houses a m60b40 with an m5 6 speed aswel.. however im still working on some ends on that car...
It has been put on the backburner as i picked up track racing a bit more seriously.
And for that a car needs a different basic built approach than the weekend warrior mindset taken for the ZXR.

I bought the car last year just before MSA of a LT from 29 Palms, who (used) to post here.. In the end he screwed me and Tony D over.. but Mark Butler.. if you believe in Karma your time will come and you owe me a title and say 500 usd orso.
The car made its appearance at the MSA autox and show in 2008

This is the driver at MSA 09

IMG_7639-L.jpg

And the car on the new XXR 15x8's that will sport the slicks.
In the class the car will be built for im allowed bigger. but slicks in 15"are everywhere, and in other classes i could use the car in ( with a l6) it is not allowed.

IMG_7597.jpg

IMG_7534.jpg

The Specs sofar:

* Full Fia Cage
* Poreterfield R4 pads and Motul oil
* Steel brake lines
* MSA 'big'swaybars
* Beta motor sport GF zx Hood
* Sparco rev seat
* OMP steeringwheel
* sparco steeringwheel release
* 15x8 XXR '513' (wantanabe rip offs)
* gutted doors
* whale tail

to do:
* paint
* install 35 gallon Fuel cell
* Install 305 v8 and its Megasquirt ( from parted s30, i bought a new s130 JTR kit)
* install lexan windows
* Coil overs (bught just need some fabbing)
* Poly bushes
* install a zillion ods and ends

New plans as of 2012

* 8,5k RPM l28

* 45 Carbs

* Special grind isky Cam

as it sits now .. a heap and a million mile from completion ...

0102.JPG

00212.JPG

Edited by frank280zx

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Since I still havent decided to go with the isma kit (if i would it would be for weight reasons) i tried to convince myself I got new wheels to fill out the body kit.
In Europe we have the saker cup they run 4 x 114.3 10,5 rear and 8,5 front with ET6,5
So they are easy to get tires for + they are close to the rim widths the Bob sharp and elektramotive cars ran.

They are a Simmons racing sectional wheel, and the styling actually suits the s130's 80's look.

http://http://www.sakereurope.com/12/Contact/default.ecms

I bought set of Wilwood gt 6000's and superlites (1,88"and 1,75"pistons) with a 1,25 disk that i have adapted on the stock ZX hub.

I’ll shoot some pics of the wheels an brakes and upload them asap.

Right now she is on stands and being gutted! the stock engine is out.. and the weight saving will begin!

I’m looking for 1000KG total weight

Edited by frank280zx

• 1 month later...

Some updates!!

foto_3_.jpg

foto_4_.jpg

foto_5_.jpg

foto_2_.jpg

Yesterday i figured lets make some pictures!

foto_2_1.jpg
The complete wiring harnes (as seen on this picture) is now completly removed, as this particular picture has been made a week ago.

Anyway still along way to go.. but it is a really fun project sofar !

Let me take this oppertunity to revise my to do list set in the first post:

The Specs sofar:

* Full Fia Cage
* Porterfield R4 pads and Motul oil these wil be swapped out for Wilwood GT 6000's with a 1.25" disk upfront and superlights in the rear
* Steel brake lines
* MSA 'big'swaybars
* Beta motor sport GF zx Hood
* gutted doors
* whale tail

to do:
* prep chassis for flares and to save weight.
* Dual brake masters with Biasbar
* Painless wiring (or something among that line)
* paint
* install 35 gallon Fuel cell
* install s13coil overs.
* Install Wilwood GT6000's and Superlights
* Build l28
* install lexan windows
* Poly bushes
* install a zillion ods and ends (seats etc etc )

The big plan is a ~300 rwhp durable power output from this l28

It should be a engine build with track use in mind, but i dont need to max out power outputs to a point the engine wear will increase to a point its lifespan is measured in hours simply due to the cost it would bring to run my car.

Next to that im in a learning curve so this would be a handfull on track as is! Keep in mind i have to run against e36 m3's and various newer porsches in the DNRT cup. so the competition is strong and some are experianced!

Edited by frank280zx

• 1 year later...

I finished the suspension mostly, on to modyfying the the front and rear control arms now.. but not a whole lot new sadly, most energy went into my zxr Time attack tool.

The zxr got a 406 SBC so this car will get a prepped l28 with forged internals Japanese ported head, special cam, ITB's etc.. i have all those covered.

This give me admission to more race classes than running the v8

But im collecting parts here and there and will take a week of work somewhere in the future months to make a big leap.

Edited by frank280zx

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well basically we are building the engine now.  It will be a 300 HP l28.. the welding is mostly done to the wheelwhels to accomedate the isma flares.

The pictures that  tony is getting are of my e36 GTR M3 ... as it is my actively campaigned race car it gets first priority.

And it may sound funny but it is way cheaper to build than a z over here. so the z is my long runner project.. and it has to be perfect when done!!

The ZXR needs some minor things and hounestly a gearbox that is up for the abuse to make it driveable.

I'll upload some pictures after february as that is the deadline for the GTR m3

Edited by frank280zx

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

update:

Since my time got devowed by racing in a dutch class last year with the M3 the project has been sitting around a bit.

Though the last months i figured lets hire a good welder!  He has been working on th echassis, reinforcing, seam welding, and making the wheelwells to accept the ISMA box flares!

i'll shoot some detailed pictures soon!

The goal is to have the body at least painted inside and undercarriage around october this year!

On the other had i have an ex nismo employee working over the engine, to stick in class rules for vintage racing im going with a 2.8 line six, according to him we can reach 8500K rpm reliably and make around 300 to the wheels on carbs..

So there is progress just overshadowed by my GTR racing campaign.. (moneypit)

So i expect to be more active here agian soon

Edited by frank280zx

• 3 weeks later...

The plan has changed abit over the years but now the time has come to get more serious, I have a competative M3 GTR so thi swil become the vintage class racer, meaning a high strung l28 s13 gearbox, carbs, classic theme!

Some teaser pics of the chassis prep!

post-373-0-92959700-1365668240_thumb.jpg

post-373-0-61787200-1365668481_thumb.jpg

The wheelwel adapted for the box flares.

post-373-0-66593300-1365668504_thumb.jpg

Front leg reinforcement

post-373-0-52643300-1365668515_thumb.jpg

Engine bay, shaving the firewall.

post-373-0-51099200-1365668856_thumb.jpg

The chassis needs to be seam welded, and mediablasted, and the cage wil be connected to the front struts, Like this original ISMA car had.

The rear cargo floor will be cut out and made flat to house the fuel cel

post-373-0-95628100-1365668676_thumb.jpg

Edited by frank280zx

• 1 month later...

Since it is high season campaigning my BMW GTR and I have focused on getting my ZXR on the road.

I needed some space, Most metal work for the ISMA flares is done. so now left to do is seam welding the cabin and undercarriage, and extending the existing cage to the front struts before it can be media blasted.

I plan on doing this as time permits, so it will be slower process. The goal is to have the car blasted late summer

Meanwhile i needed some space and the car out of the way.. So what better than winch it to the ceiling using two electric winches. So i can have it down within 5 minutes to work on it if I feel like it?

post-373-0-48604700-1368444350_thumb.jpg

post-373-0-54604500-1368444521_thumb.jpg

post-373-0-01751700-1368444545_thumb.jpg

When i have updates naturally ill post them! but first i need to install the 6 speed in the 406 ZXR

Edited by frank280zx

• 1 month later...