HybridZ

Anyone ever put a L24 in a 280z before?????

• Administrators
Ok im currently swapping in my turbo L24 into my 280z and was wondering does anyone have any diagrams or something of reference that i can go by i've searched and can't find anything. What do you guys think

Diagrams for what exactly? shrug.gif The L-24 is identical to the L-28 in its footprint, mounting, accy drives, etc. It goes directly in place of the L-28. :wink:

• Like 1

Guest Rolling Parts
What?

If you're going from EFI to carbs, why would you need diagrams?

Spot on.

You're dad is more on his own by turbo + carb (instead of continuing with more reliable and tuneable EFI). That's fine, you'll learn a lot changing it all over. Save as many parts as you can. The more you get into it the more you'll be switching back when you want more power....

Not much at all as far as diagrams, your setup will be very "physical" and seat-of-the-pants for plumbing. Just connect the alternator and gauges and use a low pressure fuel pump and fab up the hew exhaust and DISMANTLE the mechanical advance on the dizzy.

Guest Rolling Parts
thats all i have to do rolling parts

Is that a question?

If so, then my answer would be No, there is a bit beyond just changing the fuel pump and doctoring the mechanical distributor advance for the turbo application.

The settup of lowering engine displacement and changing to turbo pressured multiple carburetors is certainly the road less traveled for making reliable power. It's going to be a fun project but will also be awfully quirky to tune and then maintain.

Most successful projects usually investigate and plan things out BEFORE starting down the path of an engine conversion process. I'd suggest you might search on the Corvair websites for info on doing such a "retro" project with carbs and turbos. Lots of good stuff there on getting carbs to play with boost on small displacement 6 cylinder engines.

Guest Rolling Parts
Opinion??

BRAAP already answered your question.

Not hardly. There is a LOT more to his conversion than just getting the block in the car and attaching the alternator. He's hanging a turbo on a non-turbo L24 and complicating it by requiring a pressure box for multiple carbs is not answered by "it all fits" (though I think BRAAP had tong firmly planted in cheek with his answer)

Getting that to work right means fabricating the airbox and getting the carbs sealed up, changing the fuel pump or pressure regulator, addressing ignition advance, maybe changing the cam for less overlap, getting an oil line and drain for the turbo, fabricating a new flange from the turbo downpipe to the tailpipe, getting a turbo oil pump, and even adding a WB O2 sensor so he can try to tune the thing somewhere close without detonation.

It's a real project.

Not hardly. There is a LOT more to his conversion than just getting the block in the car and attaching the alternator. He's hanging a turbo on a non-turbo L24 and complicating it by requiring a pressure box for multiple carbs is not answered by "it all fits" (though I think BRAAP had tong firmly planted in cheek with his answer)

Getting that to work right means fabricating the airbox and getting the carbs sealed up, changing the fuel pump or pressure regulator, addressing ignition advance, maybe changing the cam for less overlap, getting an oil line and drain for the turbo, fabricating a new flange from the turbo downpipe to the tailpipe, getting a turbo oil pump, and even adding a WB O2 sensor so he can try to tune the thing somewhere close without detonation.

It's a real project.

Ok on your list i've already done: I've got a plenum, theres already a fuel pump and i have a NRG fuel pressure regulator, i have msd for the ignition and all thats done,already have flange and exhaust installedi have all the oil lines for the turbo and it has an O2 sensor

Guest Rolling Parts
Ok on your list i've already done: I've got a plenum, theres already a fuel pump and i have a NRG fuel pressure regulator, i have msd for the ignition and all thats done,already have flange and exhaust installedi have all the oil lines for the turbo and it has an O2 sensor

OK,

So what ARE you asking about?

• 2 years later...

I sorta see where TurboHLS30 is coming from on trying to put the L24 in a 280. I am thinking about doing the same, minus the turbo. My thought was to bore and stroke the L24 to 2.8L but leave the carbs on it. Hoping this will turn out like 175-180 horses. Will this even work?

Might just find an L24 in good shape and swap it in. Numbers I saw on the my 78 280Z said it only has like 135 horses and the L24 out of the 70 240Z should have 150 to start. My thought is if I bore and stroke it to the 2.8l displacement or even 2.9l with the L28D crank it would turn out like 180 horses. Hoping like 200 horses with freer exhaust and intake. Is this even worthwhile?

Might just find an L24 in good shape and swap it in. Numbers I saw on the my 78 280Z said it only has like 135 horses and the L24 out of the 70 240Z should have 150 to start. My thought is if I bore and stroke it to the 2.8l displacement or even 2.9l with the L28D crank it would turn out like 180 horses. Hoping like 200 horses with freer exhaust and intake. Is this even worthwhile?

Of course it is worthwhile, but boring/stroking and otherwise custom building an engine is fairly expensive. In that case, you might consider starting with an L28 block.