HybridZ

Anyone ever put a L24 in a 280z before?????

Might just find an L24 in good shape and swap it in. Numbers I saw on the my 78 280Z said it only has like 135 horses and the L24 out of the 70 240Z should have 150 to start. My thought is if I bore and stroke it to the 2.8l displacement or even 2.9l with the L28D crank it would turn out like 180 horses. Hoping like 200 horses with freer exhaust and intake. Is this even worthwhile?

A stock L28 has more power than a stock L24. Horsepower was rated differently in the two engine plates you looked at.

I feel like necro-posting should be encouraged here...

The only way he found this thread to comment in was by searching! B)

Plus, Leon was able to give him some direction on the difference in power ratings and Nathan (SleeperZ) were able to speak about the implications of making an l24 stroker.

Necroposting is a good thing here!

When I was new years ago, people were patient enough to answer some of my questions and and point me in the right direction. I was wholly uneducated about cars when I came here, and now my Z is on a rotisserie getting way too much of a restoration and I'm selling and developing a few different products in the vendors forum! I'd like to think that I'm pretty knowledgeable about Zs and fabrication/modification now. It was the attitude of the few who took the time to be welcoming and point me in the right direction that really made a huge impact, and for that I'm thankful.

Haha, I made this thread 2 years ago, and my Z still isn't running. I'm having a wiring problem and can't find some of the power wires in the harness :( I printed the necessary pages out of the FSM for a '75 280z, but that isn't really helping. Any suggestions?

What route did you end up taking? L24 or turbo-ing your L28? I hope you knew that you could put carbs on an L28 and make better power that way. I am putting a ZX L28 in my 240z, and putting triple webers on it. It's a very common thing to do... But I assume you went with the L24. What problems are you having? It's really simple to get a carbed engine to run. As long as you have fuel coming to the carbs, spark, and a starter, you should be able to get it. Be more specific so that people can help you. Or try searching... this has been covered about as many times as the police officers in super troopers could say "meow" in a sentence.

Well I've changed my mind multiple times since this thread was started, and after all of that I came right back to this engine setup. I'm running my L24 with motor work and SU's. My problem is that when my harness (the one that goes to the alternator, head lights, etc.), there's no power to anything. I put in a brand new battery in, and still nothing. I can get it to turn over by jumping the starter, but when I turn the key, I get no power.

I didnt know you COULD put carbs on an L28 setup for EFI. Def. going to look into that to get some horses back

http://datsunzgarage.com/engine/ That site has a wealth of info on this. I would still say you should use EFI or a standalone like mega squirt if you are set on using a turbo. But read up on that site, it taught me a lot. Some info is incorrect... But the vast majority is right

Of course it is worthwhile, but boring/stroking and otherwise custom building an engine is fairly expensive. In that case, you might consider starting with an L28 block.

Thanks Sleeper, just my thought,a man has to do what's best in these lean day of economic disaster. However it's obvious the guy is a rookie in this business and if he was using an EFI Turbo set up in a 240Z then he would be in shits hell.His swap is easy, all he has to do is bolt up the motor to the trany, wire in the Ign coil to existing hot wires primary and secondary and away you go. I hope my2cents helps.Good luck with your swap. Merry Christmas all.