HybridZ

Turbo LS1 240z Build

It was a mad dash to get the car ready for the sqc dyno day bbq this past weekend. I had a lot of customer cars along with a faulty trans cooler fitting to deal with. I took the friday before the show off and finished up the car and got the tune up drivable. I made it to the show with 30 miles on the motor. We dynoed 45 cars that day and I decide it would be smarter to put some more miles on her and change the oil before I put it on the rollers. I will get it on there the week after valentines day. Here are some shots of it all together when I drove it to work yesterday.

frontcorner.jpg

engrun1.jpg

engrun2.jpg

engrun3.jpg

engrun4.jpg

How many pounds are you going to tune for?

15~20 or when I run out of fuel. which ever comes first. lol.

Hoping to get on the dyno thursday. Waiting to here back. I know they are trying to get there shop car ready for some test runs in phoenix this weekend.

Here is another video that just popped up.

I’m very happy to be alive right now. The Z burst in to flames last night. The injector on cylinder 8 popped out enough that it sprayed fuel that ignited. The night started off with the dyno acting up. The first few pulls I did would not show any graph. Scottie figured out the speed sensor was being cranky and got it working. So I started doing some tuning. Now the car would hit about 5 psi on the street on wastegate. My past experience is that most cars will be 2~3 psi lower on the dyno. This is my first time playing with a car that has a glide in it on the dyno. I was surprised that the car would only build 0~1psi of boost. After a few runs I got it up too 380whp on like 0.5 psi @ 6500. I think the glide might be robbing some power but what ever. I notice that I need more base fuel pressure after reviewing the logs. I thought I was at 45 but with the car at ldle it was only 30. My pump should be good for 120 so I took the base pressure to 60. I figure at full boost it would be no more that 80psi of fuel pressure. Well get the map dialed in again and then turned up the boost. I went to do a pull and as the boost came on I heard a noise and saw a blanket of fire flowing over the the windshield like a river. Its kind of a blur but I jumped out of the car hit the kill switch and got to the extinguisher and put out the fire. The whole engine bay was a blaze. The room was filled with yellow powder. I went out of the room but saw more flames so I rushed back in to put them out. Now at this point Scottie had left earlier to get us some dinner so I was alone. The visibility was that of a dense fog and the second time coming out of the dyno room I felt myself blacking out so I made the call 911 to see if I had just poisoned myself. As the call progressed I came back too. I had just deplete all my oxygen. About that time Scottie rolled back up. He total helped me call down. Thanks bro you’re a good friend. The end result was like 420 @ 4000 on 3~4 psi. Now its time to rebuild the harness and see else needs to be replaced. I know I need stronger brackets holding the fuel rails. I’m going to go clean up the mess today.

Dude, that is terrible, BUT I'm glad you are still alive. The car is replaceable. I'm making a mental note to myself to make sure all of the fuel connections are tight before ignition :shock:

I never want to experience what you did.

Davy

Man, glad to here you are ok.

I had a friends car do the same thing due to some of the wimpy fuel rail tie downs out there for the LSx cars. They seem to flex under pressure and then the injector pops out enough to spray fuel. His car was totaled unfortunately.

Sorry for the misfortune.

Glad to hear you're alright man. That is the first thing on my shopping list, for both my cars, a fire extinguisher. It would KILL me to watch my car burn to the ground in the return late at the drag strip. Keep one in the shop at all times, for just that reason.

Look forward to some more #'s!

Thanks for all the well wishes and support. I'm still kinda freaked out. I know I'm going to have to redo the engine harness. It looks like the throttle cable is f-ed. I'm sure ill find more once I dig into it.

Here is a shot of the problem. You can see the bracket in the background got tweaked up. In hind site not the best designed mount. I have an idea on how I will make much stronger mounts. That is all the o-ring came out to create the blaze.

firestarter.jpg

Here are some shots before the dyno. I put the car on the corner scales to see how much it weighed. 2608 with a full tank. 2827 with me in it. I want to get coilovers in the front so I can adjust the corner balance.

scales1.jpg

scales2.jpg

Wow! It is awesome to see that you didn't get burned! Don't stress, you will have the Z purring in no time. Good luck. i am trying to plan a trip to Socorro once the weather warms up. I am going to visit some relatives whom I never met in the Alb on the way back.

I would love to stop in and see your most awesome Z.