HybridZ
sq_creations

Turbo LS1 240z Build

That intake / elbow looks bad to the bone! Will it fit under the stock hood? What throttle body are you going to run?

I laid the hood back on and it does look like it will clear. I have a hole in my hood so its really easy to see. I have to track down a stock hood now.

My Infinity Q45 90mm Throttle body came in on Saturday. The OEM Camaro (76mm) would not fit on the Edelbrock elbow. There was a gap at the bottom. This was one of the cases were things cascaded. I bought the stock throttle body for the Weiand manifold I decide not to use after reading some reviews. Then bought the elbow to match the stock throttle body but it didn't fit. Finally I ended up back at the Q45 throttle body I wanted. What a mess right? So now that I have the Q45 T-body I have to make it fit the Edelbrock elbow. Here is how I did it.

q45tbody1.jpg

q45tbody2.jpg

q45tbody4.jpg

q45tbody3.jpg

q45tbody5.jpg

q45tbody6.jpg

I put the intake manifold on and hooked up and tucked the injector and coil wires out of sight. The fuel lines are all hooked up. I got the turbo mounted and the driver side header on. I'm still doing wiring on the passenger side. I also have to come up with a plan on how I'm going to run the intercooler piping.

v8turbo1.jpg

v8turbo2.jpg

v8turbo3.jpg

Dude, I love reading this thread and looking at all the pretty work that you do...

also, I do have a stock hood off of my 260Z, A cowl hood from my 240Z (needs to be touched up a bit) Or a hood off of my 280Z without the hood louvers. Let me know if you're interested we can work something out.

No sure, soon I hope.

I started building the intercooler piping for the car. I picked up 5 feet of straight 3 inch aluminum pipe and 2 slivers of solid 3 inch to cap the original intercooler inlets. I'm routing the pipe into the back of each end tank. I primarily used 15 degree cuts so that 2 put together the would equal 30 degrees. I did this in an attempt to keep the bends smoother. The u bend coming off of the turbo on the hot side of the intercooler is mild steel to accommodate the blow off valve flange that is steel. You will also notice in the pictures I got the rest off the exhaust installed. I also got the bumper cut and remounted.

Intercoolerpipe1.jpg

Intercoolerpipe2.jpg

Intercoolerpipe3.jpg

Intercoolerpipe4.jpg

Intercoolerpipe5.jpg

That looks really nice. I like your mounting bracket too. I already cut up my intercooler so I'm going to stay my course.

Alright guys I would like your input. I'm really on the fence between 2 brake set ups.

The vented 300zx w/ toy calipers

$445 for a 10.8 inch rotor

or

The AZC kit

$790 for the 12.2 inch rotor

What are other higher powered z's running? Does any one know the actual weight difference? I have read that the azc need to be shimmed, do the 300zx need to be?

I found this thread so far but would still like input.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=146171

Go with the AZ Zcar parts, you'll be much happier in the end.

With the amount of power you're going to be making it you'll have piece of mind when stomping the WOAH pedal. Don't sweat the shimming, just have the rotors turned (slightly) after installing the hats on them, I had no problem with mine.

Test fitting the hood to make sure everything clears.

hoodon1.jpg

hoodon2.jpg

hoodon3.jpg

I hooked up my breather/catchcan setup. I'm running a line from each valvecover and a line from the valley cover. Two 5/8 lines and one 3/8 hose. I also hooked up the tps sensor and wired in one of my sqc boost solenoids as a idle air control valve. In an attempt to keep the engine bay looking cleaner I'm running 3 lines off the bottom of the edelbrock elbow. They go to the IACV, intake air temp, & blow off valve.

breathercan1.jpg

breathercan2.jpg

iacv.jpg

underedelbrock.jpg

I got the new blow off valve flange/pipe welded, painted and installed. Here is a picture of the ams-1000 boost controller solenoids. I just finished reading the manual and this thing is wicked!

bov1.jpg

bov2.jpg

boostcontroller.jpg

The coolant lines are installed. I was chasing my tail on this one. I had one line I couldn't install because the compressor housing was in the way. I pulled it off, installed the line then couldn't get it back on. Finally I loosened the turbo bracket and undid the exhaust. I was so sad. But I got it all in there now. 2 steps back to get 1 step forward. It's almost there now. I got the engine oil in, the trans fluid is good to go. I need to get the intercooler back on, fill the coolant, gas tank, check the rear diff, and hookup a couple more wires inside the car.

waterlines.jpg

waterlines2.jpg

almost.jpg

Go with the AZ Zcar parts, you'll be much happier in the end.

With the amount of power you're going to be making it you'll have piece of mind when stomping the WOAH pedal. Don't sweat the shimming, just have the rotors turned (slightly) after installing the hats on them, I had no problem with mine.

I have run the 4 lug and the 5 lug in both 12.2 and 13.06 and I would say dont waste your time on the 300ZX or Toyota calipers. The Wilwoods weigh WAY less, look and work WAY better. Agreed, you will be much happier in the end. I can tell you from experience that you will love your AZC Wilwood brakes.

I cant believe you can run the exhaust that close to the coilpacks, are you sure they can handle that much heat?

breathercan1.jpg

Man looking at this photo makes me wonder if there was any way you could exit the (pressurized) side of the turbo and go to the drivers side of the car to the IC then exit the IC and go straight to the throttle body seems like less criss crossing tubes but Im not standing there.

bov1.jpg

On this photo below are you sure that black tyvec will hold up to being so close to the exhaust manifold? Take no chances with the WG and BOV plumbing, I did mine in hard stainless line where it was close to the exhaust manifold. Ask me why? Ok Ill tell you, I already lost a motor to melted/failed WG plumbing.

bov2.jpg

All I can say is WOW that exhaust is close to plastic parts. Hope they dont melt, you can still get some more exhaust wrap, or make some swanky heat shield. Maybe you already have it taken care of, and I didn't see the photo.

waterlines2.jpg

I have run the 4 lug and the 5 lug in both 12.2 and 13.06 and I would say dont waste your time on the 300ZX or Toyota calipers. The Wilwoods weigh WAY less, look and work WAY better. Agreed, you will be much happier in the end. I can tell you from experience that you will love your AZC Wilwood brakes.

Thanks for the info.

I cant believe you can run the exhaust that close to the coilpacks, are you sure they can handle that much heat?

I am concerned with the coil packs. I'm contemplating relocating the coils on that side. I had though about doing an additional heat sheild but there isn't alot of room.

Man looking at this photo makes me wonder if there was any way you could exit the (pressurized) side of the turbo and go to the drivers side of the car to the IC then exit the IC and go straight to the throttle body seems like less criss crossing tubes but Im not standing there.

My logic in routing the piping was to keep the hot pressurized air near the hotter part of the engine bay and the cooled off air away from the exhaust. That is why I ran the only steel pipe (because of the bov flange) on that side of the car. The rest of the system is aluminum. If I went straight back it would go directly over the turbine housing.

On this photo below are you sure that black tyvec will hold up to being so close to the exhaust manifold? Take no chances with the WG and BOV plumbing, I did mine in hard stainless line where it was close to the exhaust manifold. Ask me why? Ok Ill tell you, I already lost a motor to melted/failed WG plumbing.

I talked to the techs at my local shop Action Hose and they assured me it would be okay. I agree and my still change this out too. It has atleast 2 inches from the header and exhaust and is anchord so that it shouldn't move.

All I can say is WOW that exhaust is close to plastic parts. Hope they dont melt, you can still get some more exhaust wrap, or make some swanky heat shield. Maybe you already have it taken care of, and I didn't see the photo.

Not sure which plastic parts you are talking about. Nothing is actually touching the hot parts. The engine bay is cramped for sure and I know heat is going to be a problem. Thanks for all your input!

Thanks everyone.

I got the intercooler and piping back on and they look great. I fill the coolant, got the last few wires inside the car hooked up. I also had some fun with sheet metel. I made a battery box to hold my Odyssey PC680 battery and some air diverters in the front grill area.

batterybox.jpg

together1.jpg

together2.jpg

together3.jpg

together4.jpg

Oh yeah.. It Runs

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/Turbo-LS1-LQ4-240z_716451.htm

She is getting SO pretttttyyyyy! Dyno numbers soon I hope??!!

It will definitely be seeing the dyno. I'm hoping in a week or so. I want to get a conservative street tune and some miles on the motor first.

I love the build man. Car looks sick! I'm hopefully going to be getting into a Z car sometime soon, and it's going to get nothing other than an LS motor. :mrgreen:

Awesome, good luck.

Awesome dude!!! How do you like the EMS?

So far so good. I really liked it on my integra.