HybridZ

20 year old Turbo

showa

Picked up a 240z that has been sitting for 20 years. Previous owner said it ran when parked with this motor package.

280Z Block

240Z head

Cartech Turbo

Holley 4 Barrel Carburetor

4 Core Radiators

Electric Fan

Thats all the details I have until I pick it up next week.

Any advice on prepping the turbo to try a startup ??? I've neve had one before and don't want to smoke it if I can help it...

Thanks

Kurt

Make sure the turbo still spins you might want to pull the coil wire and crank it to get the oil flowing again. Make sure the engine is not seized. Chances are the turbo should be chucked in the trash though. I dont know if they used waste gates back then. I know the old ray jays did not and they would boost to crazy numbers.

That's a long time to be sitting idle. I would guarantee a fuel leak with the carb...either internally and/or externally. Pull it off and do a thorough rebuild with a kit etc. It's not hard, just consider it essential!

Replace all the fluids as well....and flush out all of the old fuel and replace the fuel filters. I see a good couple of hours work before you get too excited about starting it.

Cheers and good luck.

Guest Rolling Parts

"Ran when parked" makes you wonder WHY they parked it.

Chances are 100% that the engine "ran" but had serious problems which caused it to be abandoned for 20 years. The last 2 cars I did not buy had the same spiel of "running when parked" but after 16 years they were complete trash.

Do the basics of oil change, ignition system inspection, pre-oil the camshaft, swap fuel and change the fuel filter, new battery, radiator fluid, etc, etc and just give it a try. Seriously there is nothing to loose if you swap fluids and it inspects OK.

I hope you get lucky.

Worth considering doing your oil change full synthetic. Whatever's been done to that turbo, it basically can't not appreciate some good synthetic oil, especially just as far as getting oil on the bearings before it actually spools at all.

Definitely also worth taking the turbo off just to eyeball it, and maybe even to measure the shaft play. On two of my L28ET's, I've had the PO's assurances that the turbo was rebuilt, and in one case, it obviously was, but they still oil starved it after the rebuild and blew the damn thing right back up.

Also, I like to spray in some penetrating lube (like PTFE type, etc.) and keep that up for a few days and then hand crank it over a bunch while having someone keep spraying in lube (via spark plug ports).

Also be sure to look at the cam; I have seen ones rust severely over long term storage.

When I bought my 83et motor three years ago it had 120,xxx miles on it. The turbo is a t3. The turbine had a little play in it, but since then I have had not one problem with the turbo or motor. I just change the oil regularly with conventional and run it hard.

Well, we'll try again this weekend to fire it.....Carb had to be rebuilt .....

That's a long time to be sitting idle. I would guarantee a fuel leak with the carb...either internally and/or externally. Pull it off and do a thorough rebuild with a kit etc. It's not hard, just consider it essential!

Told ya!