HybridZ

carbuerated LS1?

Guest tom sixbey

Hey Tom

It's my understanding the GM stoped using reverse flow heads when they designed the LS1. Also the LS1 uses a distributor that is mounted behind the water pump and works in conjunction with the cam shaft sensor and the crank shaft sensor, which both work with the computer. So I'm not sure how you would get a non computerized LS1 to fire. icon_rolleyes.gif

[ July 15, 2001: Message edited by: Lone Star 1 ]

Guest tom sixbey

hmm.. - i didnt know they stopped using the reverse flow cooling on the ls1. - that sucks. i figured the ignition would be a problem without the computer.

Is there any other way to build a carbbed, all aluminum reverse-flow SBC without spending 5 grand on an aftermarket block?

- are you absolutely sure about the reverse flow issue? - i thought surely thats how they were getting all of that compression from the ls1 off of pump gas. i guess i was mis-informed.

thanks for the post, lone!

Any thing is possible... An intake could be fabricated real easy, as for the cooling and the accessory drves they should be ok the real problem will be the ignition ... you will have to use a crank trigger and some form of timing computer as the ls1 has no distrubitor to speak of....Elecromotive coil packs maybe....any one else have any ideas ????

oh ls1 heads with a 292 roller cam ...... can you say lots of hp....just have to run race gas....

[ July 15, 2001: Message edited by: Ray ]

In an article from GM High-Tech Performance

" One of the most notable engineering changes on the new motor was the discontinuation of the LT1's revolutionary reverse-flow cooling system," "As for the LS1, its heads are so much better that they make more power without the emissions penalty." icon_biggrin.gif

Guest tom sixbey

hmm. so no reverse flow.... thats ok... If an ignition-exclusive computer could be had, there could be some sweet building possibilities.. (i'm seeing 327 LS1 with forged pistons and a speed demon!)

doesnt MSD make a crank trigger ignition system for the LT1 that uses a seperate ignition module?

Keep posting guys, and thanks for the help!

[ July 15, 2001: Message edited by: tom sixbey ]

Guest tom sixbey

here's one for you guys to chew on - is it possible to build an ls1 without the computer? - i want the reverse flow cooling and aluminum block, but i'd like the simlpicity of a carb as well (and possibly MSD ignition).. do i have any other options? - those aftermarket aluminum blocks are just too expensive!

Guest tom sixbey

thanks for info adam.. it seems the reverse flow cooling with an aluminum block cant be had... - i dont guess they ever made an aluminum LT1 block - correct me if i'm wrong.

i wonder why they stopped using reverse flow on the LS1s - it was such a good idea.