HybridZ

280zxt cv axles are shot. what now?

jeffer949

Hey guys I had a cracked boot in one of my cv axles so i ordered all new boots and was going to tear them down and clean them up and put the boots on, But when i got them apart i noticed that they are very worn and very sloppy. So here is my question. What is my best option here. can these be "rebuilt" by having it welded up and machined down or something or should i just look for another used set? I also thought of ordering a set from autozone even though i know they wont be the correct length on one side and then just swap over my axle shaft to the bearing and carriers from the new ones. Does that make sense? If i go to the junk yard to find a set to do this with also i can get the NA Z31's also right but ill have to swap the shafts. Well I await your input. Thanks

Jeff

Mine were pretty sloppy when I cleaned out all the grease too. I was concerned. When I put in new grease and installed them, you would never know there was slop. I am not sure what the tolerances are but I was surprised that they are quiet with as much slop as I had in them. Of course, there is a clunk in the drivetrain but it has been there since the car was like new. I have changed EVERYTHING in the drivetrain, and the clunk has never changed. I can't blame the sloppy CV's because the clunk was there with the U-joints as well.