HybridZ

Dodge Engine in a 240Z - Can it be done?

JD'sZ

I have a great running 6 cyl. Dodge engine and I am wondering if anyone has ever dropped a dodge motor into a 240Z ?

Not looking for a super fast street rod here, but this Grand Caravan motor pulls strong and certainly has more power than this original 73' 240Z motor. Can anyone give me some advice - thanks

If it's the 3.0L It's the Mitsubishi 6G72. It's mighty brethren in twin cam form comes in the 3000GT and with twin turbo is good for 300hp. Great motor. Finding a RWD trans for one could be a pain though. The 3.3L is the chrysler EGA? (sounds right) engine and is pushrod all iron and may be a bit of a lead sled. Though I've never seen those motors close up so I couldn't tell you.

they are pretty good motors...... I should know I have the Chrysler T&C with the 3.8L. Yes laugh it up I own a mini-van.... :)

But I would think if you don't want the fastest Z on the block, sell the motor, buy a RWD motor set (even a 4 cyl) and fab that in there. Not that I am trying to discourage you. By all means DO IT!! but i am thinking money and time factor.

Let us know what you decide to do!

they are pretty good motors...... I should know I have the Chrysler T&C with the 3.8L. Yes laugh it up I own a mini-van.... :)

But I would think if you don't want the fastest Z on the block, sell the motor, buy a RWD motor set (even a 4 cyl) and fab that in there. Not that I am trying to discourage you. By all means DO IT!! but i am thinking money and time factor.

Let us know what you decide to do!

Not a bad idea there - O.K. one 2002 Dodge 3.3 Liter Complete Motor AND Tranny - will trade for a SB Chevy V8 (not blown) lol

• Administrators
The Dodge motor is a 3.3 Liter that came in a 02' Grand Caravan, it manages to power a 4,103 lb. van and pull a 2,000 lb. trailer stock, over 3,000 lb. with the tow kit - so I figure it should REALLY move a 1,900 lb. 73' 240Z.

'73 240z minus the engine might weigh 1900 lbs, or a very skillfull race car builder, but not a street Z. More like 2400 lbs. :wink:

• 10 months later...