HybridZ

280zx V8 Progress / Pics and Wiring Questions

Whats up everyone? Got some pics to share with you, as well as some questions about some wiring!

So my 83 ZX has been through a lot these past few years. Initially I swapped in a T3/T4 E , along with a few other goodies, and was going the megasquirt route. Eventually lost interest, and decided to drop in a 350. I purchased two long blocks from a guy who worked on base, and put new gaskets on the cleaner one. I got deployed shortly after that, and when I got home, I found a good deal on a decent setup.

GM crate motor

Trick Flow 23 degree aluminum heads

Scorpion 1.5 anodized roller rockers

Edelbrock performer RPM intake

Holley 3310 vacuum carb 750cfm

Comp Cams 268XE cam/lifters

MSD pro billet distributor

MSD 6AL box

MSD plugwires

Rebuilt TH350

and a Hughes 22-2500 stall converter.

(pics are attached)

First question is as follows,

MSD 6AL , from looking at a couple wiring diagrams, there seem to be a couple different options for my IGN source. I think I'll go with the hot wire to the old IGN coil. Does this make sense to anyone other than me? haha.

Secondly,

Should it be a problem if I modify the original alternator harness to fit the GM alternator? It seems simple enough, and that is what I plan on doing.

Finally,

If you look at one of the pictures, you will see I am using an engine driven fan. There is not a lot of room , so I will not be using a shroud. Will a short distance between the radiator and the fan eliminate the need for a shroud? I know it would probably be better to have a shroud, but this vehicle is going to be used in the northeast, and it doesn't exactly get over 100 here :)

Thanks for reading guys, any help would be awesome! This thing is almost done!

Shawn

DVC00083_thumb.JPG

DVC00084_thumb.JPG

Edited by shawn83zxt
Grammar

• 1 month later...

I have my ignition hooked up to the stock + for the coil and I also have the stock - hooked up so the factory tach will work. I also have the alternator hooked up to the factory wiring but I have the 1 wire alternator. I do have an additional wire hooked up so the factory batter gauge works though. I'll try and remember tomorrow to look and see which one and what terminal it goes to.

Good luck on the first fire up!

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like a nice setup.

flex fans are noisy and suck hp. You will be better off with an electric fan.

A stock Ford fan or a Black Magic Fan will both work well. Used ford fans can be had for 25.00 at your local junk yard. Fans from 90's T-bird or a Taurus. Black magic fan can be had from summit racing.

Need a big relay to run these fans. 50 or 60 amp would work the best. Can easily get by with a 40 amp if you only use the low speed part of the ford fan. do a search of the ford fan. A 40 amp relay will work on high for awhile but will fail with in 6 months.

what turbo did you have? want to sell it?

Need a big relay to run these fans. 50 or 60 amp would work the best. Can easily get by with a 40 amp if you only use the low speed part of the ford fan. do a search of the ford fan. A 40 amp relay will work on high for awhile but will fail with in 6 months./quote]

the 40 amp relay on my taurus fan for the high function, lasted 10 years, before i rewired my car from scratch.

Thanks for the input on the relays. I wonder if anyone here can help with this alternator? In particular, the spade terminal. I know one is signal, the other goes to an indicator light. Anyone know which is which? I've been looking at diagrams online for a while, but can't really determine which spade needs the 12v. This may sound dumb. Sorry!

Well I looked at the wiring today and totally forgot to look at which terminal it goes to on the alternator. Anyway, the thick white wire goes to the "s" terminal I believe (should be your main charge wire) and the small blue wire goes to one of the terminals that have a connector that go in the top (this gives you the correct effect on your gauge with the light, ie if the alternator isn't charging your voltmeter will show your actual volts and the light will come on saying it's not charging). I'm sure this is common knowledge somewhere on here because I certainly didn't figure it out myself so I would think a search would put you in better shape than my poor memory.