HybridZ

vg30et road racing

200sxdatsun

• 2 weeks later...

I was putting together a VG510 oil pan today and finally remembered to stop and take some pics before I tacked the sump to the trimmed Z31 oil pan. You can see that except for the trap the sump is only tacked at this point. This first pic is the diamond trap with a hinged trap door in each wall. Note the stops welded above each door so they can't open far enough to hang up on each other. This also insures that they cannot end up above the pickup screen bulb should you install the pan while the engine is upside down on your engine stand. :mrgreen: The door toward the RR of this pic is propped open with a piece of SS filler rod.

DSCN8604.jpg

This is a close up the slots behind the hinged doors. This one is also propped open with a piece of filler rod for better contrast in the pic.

DSCN8605.jpg

:burnout:

If you pour oil into the pan (off the car) outside the trap doors (and far enough away such that the pouring energy does not affect test) , does it easily push them open?

Since pressure is measured in vertical inches of a liquid, how many inches of oil level does it take to open them?

Not a critique......we have a very similar setup on some very high hp mustangs in our shop.

Been keeping an eye on this thread to see where it might go. I have not done any serious searches recently, but I have not come accross any "bolt on" kits other than the dry sump full race stuff. I'm am starting to think of playing with a spare pan. I've seen the trap door ideas before, and have been interested eversince my "incident". Except any mods will neccessitate another rework of my new bellypan. I should have had that "while I'm at it" thought before I redesigned the pan.

Anyone have pics of what a stock pan looks like WITH the pickup tube in place? It may be useful for pre planning/mockups.

Thanks for the great info so far!

HowlerMonkey asked:

If you pour oil into the pan (off the car) outside the trap doors (and far enough away such that the pouring energy does not affect test) , does it easily push them open?
Yes. I filled my first fabbed sump with room temp 20-50 oil and you can't pour oil in from two big-neck quart bottles fast enough for the level to be measurably different on opposite sides of the trap doors. In fact, just sitting static the doors don't touch the sump walls. They are free-swinging and don't have springs or anything. G-force pushing oil around seals them on one side and opens them fully on the other.

I have Nismo race oil pans for L-series engines as well as a Moroso oil pan kit and all are similar in oil flow area. For what it's worth, I've been producing this particular oil pan for ten years and the one in the last pics is #93 if I did my math right. These are built specifically for the Datsun 510 VG30 conversion kit that I produce. Space constraints limit it to 5 quarts while keeping the kit "bolt-in".

ZR8ED asked:

Anyone have pics of what a stock pan looks like WITH the pickup tube in place? It may be useful for pre planning/mockups.
I don't but I'll try to shoot some and post them here for you. I'm going to be out of town for a week so it may be a while. The prototype Z31 competition pan I built uses the stock pickup tube. Again there isn't room to add much capacity in a Z31 if you want it "bolt-in". I don't actually know what the capacity came out to as I'm waiting on the customer to install it and tell me. I have parts for another one and I'm getting tired of waiting so I may build it up and stick it in one of my parts cars to double-check the fit and measure capacity.

Here's a shot of the tacked-up Z31 sump:

DSCN7841.jpg

This is sitting level and you can see that the doors are not aren't fully closed.

Here are a couple pics of the finished Z31 prototype before powder coat:

DSCN7846.jpg

DSCN7847.jpg

I'm not real proud of the fitment where the stock pan meets the custom sump. If you zoom in you may get sick.... please remember this is a prototype! The notch in the front edge of the sump is to clear the power steering hard line on the rack. This is a drop-in oil pan requiring no mods to anything in the car.

Here's a shot into the sump through the pickup tube slot in the factory windage plate:

DSCN7849.jpg

One thing to keep in mind if you build a custom oil pan for a street or rally car is that most "competition" oil pans as well as the Moroso kit are made from really thin material. They have beadrolls in the flat panels to reduce the amount they flex and "oil can" due to oil slosh, especially vertically. I ran a Datsun Competition steel road race pan on one of my L-powered street cars and it cracked three times in 50k miles! I replaced it with one of the original cast, finned aluminum ones with my very first diamond trap bolted into it.

At my "real job" I design racecar parts for a living so I fully understand the importance of saving weight. I think saving a pound or two at the lowest point in the car, which gets hammered by rocks and knuckleheads with floor jacks is kinda silly. All the oil pans I build are .062 (1/16") steel sheet so durability is a non-issue.

200sxdatsun: I'll start hacking on your oil pan in a couple of weeks. I've got an out-of-town family emergency I have to deal with.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Any of you guys selling any of these Oil Pans?? Im getting a Vg30 next week and im going to need one of these..

To which oil pan are you referring? If it's one of mine they are available on a built-to-order basis. Turn around should be about three weeks as I'm almost caught up. In a month or so I should have them in-stock again. Family stuff's been a real mess so I've gotten waaaaay behind.

• 1 month later...

Do any of you that are keeping an eye on this thread have a Z31T that needs/wants a competition oil pan? The first prototype that I built (shown in a post above) has not been installed by the customer yet. I really want to know *for sure* that these oil pans fit without any issues in a turbo Z31. I went ahead and finished the second one and it's identical to the first except I built it on a turbo core so it's got the oil return fitting for the turbo drain. It goes out for powder coat tomorrow. I would be willing to hook somebody up some kind of 'deal' if they were able to immediately install this oil pan and take a few pics for me. I can't believe that I don't know anyone in the Seattle area with a VG30ET Z31! :banghead:

• 2 weeks later...