HybridZ

What to do?

Vette Powered

I'm posting this thought in a couple of the Datsun forums. Now I know this is a Datsun forum and not a Lexus/Toyota forum but I know ya'll can help. I have a SC300 with all the goods and making about 730 HP at high boost as my daily driver. I also have a 1972 240Z with a 383 stroker in it. Both cars run good but I find myself liking the old Z alot. Keep in mind I am married and have two kids. K... So I really want to build a couple of 510 or at least one sedan but I can't do it unless I sell the Lexus.(If I do sell the Lexus I'm going to build the sedan as the daily driver.) The thing I really like about the old Datsun is that they get smiles all over town and really are pretty cheap to build. Don't get me wrong, the Lexus is a monster and a very cool car. So what do ya'll think? Lexus or a couple Datsun 510 builds?

Pictures of the Lexus please.

I would keep the Lexus. Youll never have a 510 that rides as nice as the SC300 would for the amount of money youd put into it. Right now I assume you have a super fast, 4 door, semi luxury, smooth riding sedan... thats a pretty nice DD to me.

I agree, but I think it entirely depends on how you approach the build. If your goal is to make a street monster then yes it would be more difficult.

One of my co-workers is a big 510 guy. He's had race prepped 510s before but right now he's got a 510 wagon with a SR20DE that he drives everywhere every day. Its got all the essentials - heat, radio, AC, power locks, power windows, he's in the process of adding cruise control too. Rides very smooth and not obnoxiously loud... but pretty quick too.

That being said he's put in a lot of time and money into it, he hasn't cut any corners and has been extremely thorough with his build. He could have something almost as good with a lot less time, but then it wouldnt be as good and reliable of a DD as it is. Overall I think its possible to build whatever you want if you set the goal ahead of time and work towards it, its just a matter of doing it and spending the money... which is another issue entirely...

510's have a lot of suspension issues when you lower them, which everyone wants to do. There are workarounds for all of the issues, but it's a lot of hassle. If you just have to have a 510, get a 510. They are definitely cool little cars and I grew up with guys that raced them so I have a lot of love for them, and I understand why you want a pair. If you just want a cool car to drive around in, sounds like the Lexus already fills the bill, it's safer for the kids assuming you drive nicely, has much more power than a 510 is likely to be able to use, smoother suspension, less NVH, etc.

The 2JZ is a spectacular motor, I would certainly keep the Lexus as a DD. I currently have an older DD ('88 MR2 Supercharged), even with heat/ac, leather, a decent iPod stereo and a quiet exhaust it's still not the same as my '05 Altima SER was. So much more car around you, a lot quieter, and my Altima was just amazing to cruise around in on the highway. Your Lexus has all the amenities of my Altima and then some... and then 400+ hp more haha.

Lexus>>>510 for a DD :)

You will never get near what you have in the Lex when you try to sell it. I say you keep the Lex and build the 510 slowly as a fun car for a while, etc. If you have the basics sorted and still want to go further, then consider parting out or selling the Lexus. Right now is not a good time to try to sell a really deeply modified car.

The Lexus is a beast man, I've honestly never been in a car so fast... If you do decide to get rid of it, make sure you give me a ride with the race gas first :)

Oh, and pictures too please

What's up Chris? The only way I'm doing this is if I build a monster 510. I just really like that little 510. Maybe I could sell some of my kids for the 510!! Haaha.. JK... Don't tell on me! Race gas is on order!!