HybridZ

New weatherstrip alternative

malus_rex

Its leaking in the middle of the door at the top. Im going to work with it and see what happens and if I cant finess it to fit then ill look up that link you sent t-bone.

GeeZ- As of right now I do not have the funds to spend that much on the seals seeing as I am moving at the end of the month. If worse comes to worse I will just buy them when I get the money.

• 2 weeks later...

I should probably be more specific.Are there any other alternatives for the rear hatch and trunk area weatherstrip options?Anyone tried anything?The hot ticket for the doors seems to be kia sportage stripping.what about the rear hatch?

Im wondering about this too. My black dragon crap wont let me close the hatch flush. It locks, but it doesn't fit flush and I am MAD!

So I went to replace my latch mechanism in my door that I thought was broken. After an hour or so I gave up because I really did not want to take the whole door apart. Once I got it put back together, for some reason I decided to twist the little plastic adjustment screw coming from the outside door handle. After I did this, whadayaknow, my problem is fixed. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that it was not the mcmaster-carr weatherstripping that was the issue for my problem. I still have not addressed the issue for it not sealing completely on the drivers side though. But overall I am pleased so far with it.

After reading this whole thread I went to the salvage yard and picked up a set of 98-03 Calvalier door seals. They do fit a little loose and for the 90 deg in the corner is where I butted them together. When my kids find my camara I will post some picks. I notched the upper piece so it goes all the way to the rear went all the way around and then put the other piece up against the top one. I am going to get some of the black tar sealer to put in the weather seal channel to hold it better. Doors shut great with no issues.

Great info, keep it coming. I for got to bring a piece of the hatch to see if I could match that one to something.

Thanks

I found the Kia seals in the JY and installed them. They do fit really well. Although I went to a touchless car wash and when the jets were shooting at my doors.. both sides at the top middle were leaking water. Granted these jets are shooting out at super sonic PSI lol.. but I wanted to know if anyone else had this issue with the Kia seals? Does anyone know where to find the small seal on the top of the door frame? Mine is not there and might be the cause of the leakage. I do have a spare set of the Kia seals if anyone is interested!

Edited by wigenOut-S30

I know this has been mentioned several times on this site (probably several times in this thread), but the Hyundai Elantra door seals work great. The 90-92 look exactly like stock and solve the door slam issue from what I have gathered here. I am currently using door seals from a '95 Elantra and they solved my door issues. The seals on the 93 to 00 four door Elantras all looked the same. The soft part is a little bit bigger than the after market Z ones, but it is much more plush. You just cut out the excess at the only sharp corner in the door jamb (top rear). If I were to do it again I would cut the seal with a razor knife at 45* angle. Glue it together with super glue or perhaps black RTV and it would look great! For about $12 a pair at my local pick a part it's a good deal.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Today I went out to my junk yard and the was about 8 or 9 of them in there so me and my friend went and took about 10 door seals from them. I payed 14.06 for all 10. The seals on the doors work great. I will put some pics up tomorrow.

• 1 month later...

Just installed soem weather stripping the other day, I used sportage for the front and a Suby Legacy for the hatch. The doors have issues closign with the stripping so I had to cut about half of the spongy rubber off the bottom of the sill on both sides to get them to close, probably just a unique issue to my car. Still, compared to no stripping at all its a lot better.

The hatch is tight with the legacy stripping. I had to use GOOP on the top corners to get it to seal and keep water from leaking under the stripping. I ran some goop all the way across the top for good measure, no leaks with a hose.

the fumes in the cabin were reduced to an unnoticeable amount, very happy with the results!

Try Magic Mounts weather strip from Pep boys p/n 3554. It has a pinch strip that holds well and is flexible enough to fit the 90 deg corner without cutting. You will need three packages as the strip is about 10 inches short. So the third package is to cut in a 10 inch splice for each side. I placed the splice on the forward door jam. Doors close easy and there are no leaks.

You can see this at http://www.magicmounts.com/products/3554.htm

Edited by Miles

Installed Sportage gaskets on my doors, much better than the aftermarket ones they replaced. Haven't noticed any leaking yet. My buddy (JimCanuck) who installed them bought a bunch from a Kia dealership on the West Coast...around $46/seal if I remember correctly. Much cheaper than anything he could find around Calgary. I tried the local JYs, no used Sportages to be found.

Based on my experience, I'd say the Sportage gaskets are the way to go.

Markham

• 1 month later...

Just installed soem weather stripping the other day, I used sportage for the front and a Suby Legacy for the hatch. The doors have issues closign with the stripping so I had to cut about half of the spongy rubber off the bottom of the sill on both sides to get them to close, probably just a unique issue to my car. Still, compared to no stripping at all its a lot better.

The hatch is tight with the legacy stripping. I had to use GOOP on the top corners to get it to seal and keep water from leaking under the stripping. I ran some goop all the way across the top for good measure, no leaks with a hose.

the fumes in the cabin were reduced to an unnoticeable amount, very happy with the results!

Any chance we can get a little more info on what year legacy? I'm really needing something for the hatch seal. Thanks!