HybridZ

Same side inlet & outlet end tank radiator

jakeoster

I got a radiator that has end tanks and has the inlet and outlets on opposite sides. Now I was going to cut off the outlet and move it over so that it's the same as an RB type radiator. Now my question is if both the inlet and outlet are on the same end tank, would coolant simply bypass the radiator cooling fins for the most part and go through just the end tank, thus making the radiator highly inefficient? Or would thermal dynamics cause something different to happen. I have an electric fan and an effective shroud. Thanks in advance.

Cutting the hose outlet and moving it won't work. The coolant will take the path of least resistance. A radiator with the outlets on the same side have the water flutes going top to bottom vs from side to side as what you would find on a radiator with outlets on opposite side. Or they have baffles built in the radiator causing the water to flow the correct way.

A radiator with inlet and outlet on same side and cooling passages that run side to side is called a double pass radiator. The end tank with the inlet and outlet on it has an internal wall seperating the top and bottom. The only way the water can flow, is to pass across the core to the opposite tank, then pass back across to the other outlet (double pass).

See the welded section on R/H side below shows the seperation.

I think the water would simply bypass the core unless you seperated the two outlets. Maybe your on to something...a double "bypass"...:mrgreen:

randys-racemart_2070_27945732.jpg

Gord

great info. who makes that radiator pictured above?

I run the same radiator, it works great and is not expensive at all (under $200 when I got mine). Its a GM Double Pass 24"x19" Part No: 2111100 from PRC Racing. The only thing you will have to do is fab up some brackets to mount the radiator.

Here are some pics I took of the radiator when I got it that show the various measurements.

Here are some pics of the actual install, I also mounted a Moroso recovery tank onto the radiator.

PRC%20GM%20Double%20Pass%20Radiator%20022.jpg

Very nice installs guys.

synthtk, is that recovery tank acting like an overflow reservior?

Anyone have any experiences with the PRC double pass with the oil cooler?

BTW, how big is your IC piping size?

Yeah the recovery tank is basically an overflow, most "overflow" bottles you can buy though will not siphon back into the radiator, this one will since it has a tube the goes into the tank to allow the radiator to suck the coolant back into the radiator.

My piping is 3" on both sides.

Nice job on the recovery tank synthtk :icon14:

I still need to add that and a drain valve. What hoses did you end up using?

Thanks!, I used a part of an old radiator hose that I had laying around my garage for the upper hose and used one of those universal bends (has the kind of accordian look) for the bottom, I just measured the inlet/outlet and the length I wanted and picked one up at NAPA I believe, a formed hose would be nicer but this seems to work.

+1 for the PRC radiator.... you can order direct from them and its cheaper than anywhere I found online. I opted for the one with the built in oil cooler, been great so far.

31.jpg

You can see my oil cooler line going to the other tank of the radiator.

photo%203.jpg

Sweet!!! +1 on ordering through those guys. They are easy to deal with. Waiting for mine.

RS Speed, let's meet up sometime and let me take a look at your build. I am in the process of the same build. Thought I might be able to pick your brain for some advice and tips. I'll get your coffee.

PM me.

I love the oil cooler addition, Do you mind me asking how much extra that was. I Cant see where you put the oil though?

I believe it was like 50 bucks extra so its not too much, I ended up paying another 100 for lines and block adapter so $150-$200 is cheap for an oil cooler setup in my book. The oil cooler works just like any external oil cooler so you don't fill them with oil really. The lines going to the -AN fittings feed and return the oil through a regular oil cooler core which is welded into the cold entank of the radiator as opposed to being external for air to cool it. I don't have any pics through the cap but you can see a standard oil cooler just hanging out in the endtank and the fittings are just welded through. Its gets its oil supply from the oil filter housing just like any aftermarket oil cooler.

My personal theory is you don't need a thermostat to control the oil cooler this way since your coolant will heat up the oil to operating temp and pretty much hold it there so it sorta ties your normal tstat into the oil circuit. Obviously it will add some heat to the cooling system if you are running higher oil temps through the radiator (which has a cooler water temp) but thats why we bought a huge aluminum radiator because it can handle it lol

T S30 H - hit me up with any questions on PM or in person Ill be glad to help. I'm harder to make appointments with than the president though, these 24 hour days just don't cut it :)

I believe it was like 50 bucks extra so its not too much, I ended up paying another 100 for lines and block adapter so $150-$200 is cheap for an oil cooler setup in my book. The oil cooler works just like any external oil cooler so you don't fill them with oil really. The lines going to the -AN fittings feed and return the oil through a regular oil cooler core which is welded into the cold entank of the radiator as opposed to being external for air to cool it. I don't have any pics through the cap but you can see a standard oil cooler just hanging out in the endtank and the fittings are just welded through. Its gets its oil supply from the oil filter housing just like any aftermarket oil cooler.

My personal theory is you don't need a thermostat to control the oil cooler this way since your coolant will heat up the oil to operating temp and pretty much hold it there so it sorta ties your normal tstat into the oil circuit. Obviously it will add some heat to the cooling system if you are running higher oil temps through the radiator (which has a cooler water temp) but thats why we bought a huge aluminum radiator because it can handle it lol

T S30 H - hit me up with any questions on PM or in person Ill be glad to help. I'm harder to make appointments with than the president though, these 24 hour days just don't cut it :)

Sounds good. I will definitely be hitting you up.

First question tho, what adapter did you buy for your oil cooler fittings? I am also running an oil pressure and oil temp sensor, what do you recommend for that?