HybridZ

-6AN lines to NPT earl fittings?

tech9

I can't seem to figure out how to go from my pallnet fuel rail (1/4NPT) to -6AN on my aeromotive FPR. I bought what I thought was correct fittings, but after reading some things, I guess you need o-ring fittings on the regulator side?

Now i'm very confused, I do have some -6an oring to -6an (regular) fittings, and some -6an (regular) to 1/4NPT fittings. Summit has tons of fittings, but I can't seem to find a oring -6an to 1/4NPT, would I need to go from an to an then an to npt? http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EAR-916106ERL/

I guess you don't put sealer on the oring parts, but you do on the non oring parts?

I was going to put braided all the way from the metal lines, through the rail, back to the metal, but after this confusion, I just want it hooked up to test :P

Any help is appreciated.

I am confused by your confusion. It is rather simple: 1/4-in. NPT to -6 male adapter on the fuel rail, two o-ring to -6 male adapters (assuming an A1000-6 FPR) and 1 o-ring plug. That's it, unless you are trying to connect the rail directly to the FPR. It is unclear where the FPR will be located.

If you are trying to connect the rail directly to your FPR, you simply need the fittings I stated above as well as a -6 female to -6 female union. The fitting you show in the link will work and will eliminate the union fitting.

They do not make fittings for every application.

Let's break it down.

Fuel rails have a 1/4" NPT thread cut into them

Fuel pressure regulator has -6 ORB (o-ring boss) ports.

Most stainless steel hose fittings have female -an swivel fittings.

So.

Run 1/4" NPT male to -6AN male adapters from the fuel rail to the fuel line.

Run -6orb male to -6AN male adapters on the fuel pressure regulator. This will allow your female -6an fittings to connect your fuel pressure regulator to your fuel rails.

This is assuming your fuel pressure regulator is not mounted directly to one of your rails.

Clear as mud?

Takes a deep breath.....

I was going to mount directly on the rail, not sure exactly what to do. Any reason I shouldn't? I can think of a few now.

Maybe I should mount it on the firewall and just use as DeleriousZ said:

rubber hose to the barb on the front of the fuel rail

from rail 1/4" npt to -6an to a braided line (female both ends)

then to another -6an to -6an to a braided line

then.... to -6an to -6an oring to FPR

and then the same thing going to the return.

and a plug on the bottom.

Now to make it tougher, how can I get all braided line instead of rubber?

Thanks for the help guys!

Takes a deep breath.....

I was going to mount directly on the rail, not sure exactly what to do. Any reason I shouldn't? I can think of a few now.

Now to make it tougher, how can I get all braided line instead of rubber?

Thanks for the help guys!

from the tank to the fuel rail?

The part in bold confuses me. As I stated, you only need a 1/4-in. NPT to -6 an male fitting on the fuel rail. Use a braided line with two -6 an female ends, one on each end, or use a pushlock system with -6 an female ends. The FPR will have a -6 ORB to -6 an male adapter. That's it.

The bottom of the FPR is the return. You plug the unused side (again assuming an Aeromotive A1000-6).

mapvac.JPG You can see the plug on the side of the FPR, the end of the Pallnet fuel rail, the 1/4-in. NPT to -6 fitting and the braided hose. You can also see, if you look closely, the other end of the hose connecting to the FPR.

I was going to mount directly on the rail, not sure exactly what to do. Any reason I shouldn't?

Nope...

An o-ring boss fitting is no different than a regular -6 fitting except it doesn't have the flare on the end. The threads are the same. So, if you want to mount the FPR directly to the rail, get a 1/4 NPT male to -6 AN male adapter and an o-ring (you can buy them separately), and put the o-ring on the -6 AN end of the adapter and screw the adapter into you FPR. This is what I did and it's a lot cheaper than buying a bunch of extra fittings and hose for the short distance you'll need to mount the FPR elsewhere. Also, by using regular AN fittings, it's a lot cheaper than the arm and a leg they usually charge (or used to) for the hard anodized o-ring boss fittings.

railfpr.jpg

BTW, there's good reason to have the FPR close to the end of the rail:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=105772

Nigel

'73 240ZT

Also do you use sealant on any of the pieces? I know you don't need it on the oring parts, but on the others? Liquid Teflon work? or do I need sealant?

Bah, I'm having that same exact problem with my FPR. It uses the NPT fitting, and I've had so much trouble getting the fittings to properly seal into the Fuel Pressure Regulator.

You'll need at least a few wraps of teflon tape around the male threads of an NPT fitting to get it to seal. The white teflon tape works fine. NPT threads won't really seal without it.

Nigel

'73 240ZT