HybridZ

The Ultimate HID Headlight Upgrade the easy way!

FricFrac

Hate to point out the obvious, but this is posted in the Engine Components electrical section and HID's are more miscellaneous tech orientated........ That being said, I would like to see pics as I am not the biggest fan of the projector "look" but love what they do for HID's.

exactly! lets quit beating around the bush and just set fire to it already!!:mrgreen:

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrators

but this is posted in the Engine Components electrical section and HID's are more miscellaneous tech orientated........

Thread moved. :wink:

exactly! lets quit beating around the bush and just set fire to it already!!:mrgreen:

:lmao: Not quite yet. :wink:

This could become an informative HID thread, just giving it the chance to blossom... :burnout:

Edited by BRAAP

Wow I was really surprised when I did this little experiment/demo with the two cars. The car on the left is my 2009 370Z and the right is my 1972 240Z with the H4 HID conversion. The beam width/height/dispersion wasn't a surprise but I didn't think the "quality" of the lighting would be better on the 240Z. I like the whiter light from the 6000K bulbs in the 240Z compared to the 370Z. The 370Z also has a lot of discolouration at the cut off edge of the beam (you can see it better in real life - the flash washed it out a fair amount). I suspect this is actually from the defraction caused by the lens (a reflector doesn't cause colour seperation because it reflects not refracts). Its totaly minor but interesting to note. Also the beam has a very straight cut off on the 240Z compared to the two humps on the 370Z. The "humps" on the beam pattern on the 370Z are likely from the projector and/or the shape of the lens on the 370Z has a hump in it (you don't typically see it in pictures but seeing it first hand you'll notice it). The 240Z had two smaller humps as well but overall the beam was flatter. They are both very similar and by far the biggest difference is the colour of the bulbs. Beam width on both are well controlled. That's about all I had time for tonight for pictures but it gives you a good idea of the end results. Pictures are the same as seeing it in real life but it gives you a good idea of what's going on. Here are the low beam pics from a few angles.

attachment.php?attachmentid=17290&stc=1&d=1254462662

attachment.php?attachmentid=17291&stc=1&d=1254462662

attachment.php?attachmentid=17292&stc=1&d=1254462662

Low Beam - Left_thumb.jpg

Low Beam - Center_thumb.jpg

Low Beam - Right_thumb.jpg

Impressive!

I agree! This is by far the best reflector housing lighting I've seen so far. I do see some stray flaring off the 240 lights in the 3rd pic, but it's at a very minimum :2thumbs:

The last shot looks superb...

Also, can you take one with out the 370 lights on. They are merging in with the 240 lights. Thanks

Can you take a shot of how they look from the front of the car with the lights off?

Do they look just like a sealed beam headlight? I prefer the sealed beam look rather then the projector look.

Sorry just some quick ones in the garage before I head off ta bed... unfortunately the Tempest game is in front of the other headlight but you get the idea ;)

attachment.php?attachmentid=17296&stc=1&d=1254468064

attachment.php?attachmentid=17297&stc=1&d=1254468064

Headlight off 1_thumb.jpg

Headlight off 2_thumb.jpg

Doubters disproved for sure. That beam pattern is amazing. Glad to see someone finally found a quality "cheap" alternative to a projector retro-fit. Why on earth would you go through that trouble when these housings are out there? Well done, sir. I hope to follow in your footsteps soon.

What kind of warranty do you get with the bulbs/ballast kit?

i've been following this thread from the beginning and thinking, 'another hid kit that i can't build' but, keeping an open mind i kept reading and with the pics feel that this might find a home in my z. the lighting pattern looks fantastic!

it looks like purchasing the components will run; hid / bulbs /wiring $269, lenses $52.80 each [from truck werks] about $379.60 + shipping from both places. so somewhere around $400 for the parts.

it also appears that the install is not overly complex.

fricfrac, when you have the opportunity, it would be great to see pics of your housings, wiring and other pics you feel would help those of us that are less electrically inclined.

additionally, would you be able to arrange a group buy on the housings for us hybridz members?

Doubters disproved for sure. That beam pattern is amazing. Glad to see someone finally found a quality "cheap" alternative to a projector retro-fit. Why on earth would you go through that trouble when these housings are out there? Well done, sir. I hope to follow in your footsteps soon.

What kind of warranty do you get with the bulbs/ballast kit?

I don't know for sure what the warranty from the manufacture is on the bulb/ballast kit is but from our local Lordco auto parts supplier I was told they would cover the kit for one year including the bulb. I've never heard of a warranty on a light bulb so that seemed more than reasonable to me. The other thing to note is the size of the ballast on this kit. The ballast was originally designed by Phillips who are one of the leaders in HID technology. Alumina bought the designe from Phillips and is producing a very small high quality ballast system. I like small for mounting on the car and I like quality as they don't get burning hot and fail like the cheap ones do.

i've been following this thread from the beginning and thinking, 'another hid kit that i can't build' but, keeping an open mind i kept reading and with the pics feel that this might find a home in my z. the lighting pattern looks fantastic!

it looks like purchasing the components will run; hid / bulbs /wiring $269, lenses $52.80 each [from truck werks] about $379.60 + shipping from both places. so somewhere around $400 for the parts.

it also appears that the install is not overly complex.

fricfrac, when you have the opportunity, it would be great to see pics of your housings, wiring and other pics you feel would help those of us that are less electrically inclined.

additionally, would you be able to arrange a group buy on the housings for us hybridz members?

Mine purchased locally with my discount (most clubs can get a discount with Lordco) was around $400 CND but I didn't have shipping.

..... and yes install is pretty easy. Only real mod I had to do was drill the opening on the back of the buckets to accept a new grommet.

Pics are coming as I can squeeze them in.

Lol - as for the group buy I'm not sure if you are still thinking I'm associated with either of the companies - I'm not (but maybe I should approach them - jk ;) These are simply the products I used that the combination/price/performance seemed to be the best configuration. I don't have any group buying power nor can I vouch for any of the places that sells these. Possibly the manufactures would do a direct bulk purchase?

I wonder if this HID kit would work as well with the Autopal MSR H4 housings I'm running now http://www.autopal.com/msrhead-lamps04.html. They look almost identical to the one's FricFrac's using ( http://www.visionxusa.com/halogen/sealedbeam/). I guess if I went with this type setup I could try it first with the Autopal's, and change to different one's if they don't work well.

I wonder if this HID kit would work as well with the Autopal MSR H4 housings I'm running now http://www.autopal.com/msrhead-lamps04.html. They look almost identical to the one's FricFrac's using ( http://www.visionxusa.com/halogen/sealedbeam/). I guess if I went with this type setup I could try it first with the Autopal's, and change to different one's if they don't work well.

Definately the way I'd do it. Get the H4 HID kit and if the beam dispersion is poor on your Autopal you can always swap in the Vision-X lenses. You should have a really good idea of your beam dispersion with the H4 halogen bulbs you are running now.

The two humps you see from the 370Z is the cut off for the other side of traffic. It is made to shine lower as to not blind on comming traffic.

Wouldn't you want the humps on the low beams since if there is oncoming traffic you should be on low beams already or is it just incase you forgot to switch your high beams off?