HybridZ

The Ultimate HID Headlight Upgrade the easy way!

FricFrac

I deal a lot of music instruments (especially violin bows). The difference in quality between a $5 bow and a $10 bow is extraordinary. I used to buy the cheapy bows that lasted a few months then tried out the $10 bows and for $5 more you get MUCH better quality wood, hair, and handle that makes a huge difference. So for paying a little more, I get a much better quality.

This is all up for interpretation. But most of the time in a normal (a.k.a. you are not getting screwed) transaction, the more value you put in, the more you get in return. If you buy a new car, are they going to give you the sport, premium, luxury packages for free? No you have to pay for them and those are the things that make your car better.

Off topic lol

HID kits should only be used in housings that use true projectors. That housing you posted is just a H6024 housing with a fake projector lens that does not do anything. A projector magnifies the light straight onto the road while that housing uses a reflective system which is hard to control the light spread (and you can blind people). With REAL projectors you can control the focus of the light (light spread).

Here is an interesting video on retrofit HIDs.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

Bi-xenon= high/low

I don't understand how people think a lens will focus (not magnify btw) light and yet a reflector will not. Its simple physics on both accounts. A reflector is perfectly capable of directing the light in a safe pattern as we have already demonstated in our pictures and as physics experiments have proven long long ago. It must, however, be properly designed and there are a lot of reflectors that are not suitable because of their beam pattern, etc, just as a projector lens must be properly designed for the same reasons. I just don't want there to be any misconception about reflectors providing a safe beam pattern but be aware that there are many that are not suitable. Personally I would tend to stay away from the cheaper plastic lens/reflector however someone may find one that is suitable so I'm not writing them off either.

I understand what you are saying about spending money and getting quality but that only applies in certain situations. The whole HybridZ community is centered around the fact that the Z car is easily modifiable to get very good performance at a fraction of the price of other vehicles and modifications. Spending more money on a product doesn't automatically give you a better product. That's why its important to weigh the data and find out what the best bang for the buck is.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

seems to be a lot of speculation on both sides here...

Like I said, AS SOON AS I GET THEM INSTALLED, ILL LET YOU KNOW THE FACTS (not opinions) on whether the 25$ lenses were worth it....

If not, its 25$. WHO CARES... No Huge Loss....

Hell, I'll spend more than that on an oil change when supplies and labor are factored in...

Man o Man...

Everyone just chill, the proof will be in the product... it will either work great, or blind everyone...eitherway, I'll let ya know!

-Dan

I don't understand how people think a lens will focus (not magnify btw) light and yet a reflector will not. Its simple physics on both accounts. A reflector is perfectly capable of directing the light in a safe pattern as we have already demonstated in our pictures and as physics experiments have proven long long ago. It must, however, be properly designed and there are a lot of reflectors that are not suitable because of their beam pattern, etc, just as a projector lens must be properly designed for the same reasons. I just don't want there to be any misconception about reflectors providing a safe beam pattern but be aware that there are many that are not suitable. Personally I would tend to stay away from the cheaper plastic lens/reflector however someone may find one that is suitable so I'm not writing them off either.

I understand what you are saying about spending money and getting quality but that only applies in certain situations. The whole HybridZ community is centered around the fact that the Z car is easily modifiable to get very good performance at a fraction of the price of other vehicles and modifications. Spending more money on a product doesn't automatically give you a better product. That's why its important to weigh the data and find out what the best bang for the buck is.

My bad, I did jump the gun on the reflection comment. You can have good light spread using reflective housings but I believe that the optimum/ideal housing would be in a projector. I just believe that there are ALOT of housings that have not been designed to provide a safe light output.

Spending more money does not automatically give you a better product but many times it does. I don't put cheap speakers in my car bc they will blow quickly. I put better quality speakers in which may be more expensive than the cheapies but not necessarily tons more money.

Best bang for your buck is the way!

In regard to the recent discussion (and so I don't have to cut-and-paste a big chunk) scroll up and re-read posts #53 and #63.

To summarize: there is no best. There is an optimum solution for your particular situation, taking into account your own taste and goals. A particular lamp produces the same luminous flux no matter what it is mounted in. How much of that light output gets where you want it is determined by the optics surrounding the lamp.

The assembly discussed above is not a "true" projector. A projector almost always uses an ellipsoidal reflector. That is why they are much deeper than the H4 envelope, which uses a parabolic reflector. However, both reflector types, when built well, can produce similar results in terms of optical performance. Note that a projector does use a reflector.

When we are discussing optics, unfortunately, cost and high performance are directly proportional. Good optics are made with costly materials, to a high degree of precision. That invariably translates to "expensive". That should, in no way, keep you from enjoying an inexpensive find. If it works for you and isn't a menace to others, then go for it!

What do you guys think of these housings? http://store.everythingcarparts.com/Universal-Fit-Parts/Universal-Headlights-Kit/601460156024-7-Round-Glass-Projector-Headlights-p8248411.html

They have a integrated projector lens along with reflectors, would the be like the best of both worlds? Its also darn cheap at $26 bucks a pair!

I currently have these and am not very pleased with them. They spread light like a prism ( all over the place) lol..

I currently have these and am not very pleased with them. They spread light like a prism ( all over the place) lol..

These are not a projector at all, despite the small central lens. They use a parabolic reflector, which has only one focal point, and that is where the lamp filament is (or is supposed to be).

Parabolic reflectors produce a tight parallel beam pattern. In well-designed envelopes, they are paired with a spherical reflector, located in front of the lamp, on axis (this is sometimes called a "blinder"). Its actual purpose is to prevent rapidly diverging light from the filament from exiting the front lens of the lamp and spilling outside the beam pattern. Instead, this otherwise wasted light is reflected back through the lamp filament and onto the parabolic reflector, where it joins and adds to the parallel beam.

When this type of envelope is used for automotive headlights, either the reflector is segmented or the front glass is lensed to produce a desirable beam pattern, eg. wider than high, with a sharp cut-off on top. This alters what would otherwise be a tight conical pattern, much as a "pencil-beam" driving lamp produces.

From the picture of these lamps they use a single-segmented reflector with a clear front cover. The small lens is probably supposed to add a pencil beam to an otherwise conventional pattern. The first problem is that neither beam will be anywhere near as bright as a conventially-lensed envelope. The second problem is that the parabolic reflector cannot control the light striking the small lens well enough to avoid scatter. Add to that the diverging light direct from the lamp, and that lens is probably producing more "dazzle" than beam. A proper ellipsoidal reflector, which has two foci, can control light to make it work with a small convex lens.

To bottom line it: this lamp is more of a fashion statement than a serious headlamp. You could probably make this design work, but not for $26 a pair.

• 3 weeks later...

A reflector in a H4 lens is a concave dish. That concave dish is how the light is focused. Its exactly the same principal of bending light waves as bending light waves with a lens. Its simple physics.

As for the link for the VX-7HD lens well it doesn't exist - because there is no 7HD - I mistyped it - should be the VX-7RD lens ( http://www.visionxus...gen/sealedbeam/) sorry about that.

Just checking something on the thread and I noticed this link was broken - found a new working link for now....

=wmi|/phpThumb/watermarks/vxusa-watermark.png|C|60|0&f=jpg&q=95&hash=888443482dc616260014c8a4a65b33bb"]http://www.visionxusa.com/oscthumb.php?src=lLzczdrZ3JLVxd7Q6Nfd1pSb0Nji287RlKbUzd_ZzaXKtNybvcSuqpSpx5mqxq3CloHZ3No.&w=1000&h=&fltr[]=wmi|/phpThumb/watermarks/vxusa-watermark.png|C|60|0&f=jpg&q=95&hash=888443482dc616260014c8a4a65b33bb

• 2 months later...

Hella H4 housing has been bought. Also got my HID kit. I actually got a sweet deal on Alumina Conversion Kit (ALU-H4BXK6 - H4 BI-XENON-6000K). I was supposed to get it at cost through a dealer that I know but he kept on forgetting to bring it to me ... 5 days in a row. Soooo ..... he gave it to me for free! How nice of him eh? Still have to figure out some other details of this but I have plenty of time to figure it out. The car is in the shop until June anyway.

[Edit] Will lens covers affect the way the light is projected?

Edited by GodZilla

Okay, so whats the general consensus? I'm looking to go HID, but seems to be quite the argument in this thread as far as what to get. I want the headlights to look stock, but be good quality. I have a friend that had HID lights from eBay and they lasted two years with no problems! (He sold the car recently). Let me know what you guys think is the best combonation, links to the products would be appreciated, thanks!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

They would work if you already had lenses with removable h4 bulb. I'm sure you can piece something together from ebay for cheaper with replacment lenses. Still no cut off like a true projector.

Edited by loy

They would work if you already had lenses with removable h4 bulb. I'm sure you can piece something together from ebay for cheaper with replacment lenses. Still no cut off like a true projector.

Cut off depends on the design of both the reflector and/or the lens. Review the thread and you'll see reflectors with extremely sharp cutoffs.

Bixenon H4 HID kits with bulbs, ballast and harness can be had for under $100. Knockoff of the Phillips design and for the cost its worth experimenting. A good set of H4 bulbs can be close to the same cost.... If you already have H4 lenses try out an HID H4 setup. If the cut off is poor there are known good reflectors.....

FricFrac, you're using these, correct?

http://www.amazon.co...73758067&sr=1-1

Also, where can I find the HID kit ALU-H4BXK6?

Those are the ones and a good price too...

I've got these in my 280ZX and they look to be a direct knock off of the Phillips system and the Aluminas.... so far they work great and a third of the price. I suppose time will tell....

http://www.vvme.com/digital-slim-h439003-bixenon-hid-kit-p-128.html?cPath=44_46_35

Fric-Frac,

Thank you for testing this out. I was interested in buying a set of REFLECTORS that work well. Unfortunately the links are all broken. Even the links on Visionquest's site to buy them are all messed up. I am a bit worried that the items you purchased are not exactly what they are selling now... Can you confirm a site that sells the exact housings you found and tested?

I see that there are a lot of morons quipping about relectors vs projectors. This optical technology is literally 4 centuries old, so shut your chromatically-abberated pie holes for god's sake.

The largest, most powerful, most expensive, and downright world-view changing telescopes are ALWAYS MIRRORED REFLECTORS. So why can't you morons use them for your headlights. The problems that people encounter are because of the BULBS, not the type of housing used to control the light. You must use the right bulb for the housing you have.

Edited by bjhines

Awesome, thanks!

This is all I will really need other than some grommits and wire, correct?

I did a star ground on my car at the same time so I ran ground wires from the main ground point on the firewall to each light as well as an extra fuse block with a seperate circuit for power to the relay. Its optional but I tend to over engineer.....

Shouldn't need any grommits - you are tapping off the stock wiring harness to control the headlights so you don't need to run wiring inside the car. The harness plugs right into one of your headlight sockets on the stock wiring loom....