HybridZ

Safe boost levels for sr20det

jessejames

I've got an S13 Blacktop sr20det. I'm running a walbro 255 pump, a FMIC, and 3inch full exhaust. I've been reading that 10psi is the maximum safe boost levels. Two local shops. Saisan motorsports and SG Motorsports say I should be able to run 13-14psi on my setup. Any recommendations?

On a side note I'm switching to an electronic boost controller. I've decided to go with the Blitz SBC ID, just not sure if I should go with the Spec S or the Spec R. The Spec R has two solenoids. Does it really make that much of a difference. My plan was to eventually switch my turbo to a GT2871r. Any suggestions help. Thank you.

I've got an S13 Blacktop sr20det. I'm running a walbro 255 pump, a FMIC, and 3inch full exhaust. I've been reading that 10psi is the maximum safe boost levels. Two local shops. Saisan motorsports and SG Motorsports say I should be able to run 13-14psi on my setup. Any recommendations?

On a side note I'm switching to an electronic boost controller. I've decided to go with the Blitz SBC ID, just not sure if I should go with the Spec S or the Spec R. The Spec R has two solenoids. Does it really make that much of a difference. My plan was to eventually switch my turbo to a GT2871r. Any suggestions help. Thank you.

Do some research on the turbo boost levels. Your question about the boost controllers, however, is an opinion. Buy a manual boost controller and save the ~$500 from the gizmo-tronic boost controller, IMHO. It has lots of blinky lights and pointless graphics, IMHO, but a certain crowd seems to approve of that sort of thing. Nothing beats a mechanical boost gauge or a high speed stepper boost gauge, so you can see pulsations, etc in the signal. The Blitz LED setup won't give you (or rather your tuner) the highest degree of feedback on what's going on.

I used to operate a speed shop specializing in turbo imports, so I've used most of the EBC's sold over the last 10 yrs. If you gotta have an EBC, I'd recommend the GReddy Profec-B.

If you want an opinion to reinforce the Blitz choice, go check out zilvia.net, nicoclub.com, etc. There are a million SR20DET cars on there that have already answered these questions many times.

I personally have owned four sr20 swapped s13s. I have ran 14 psi on them 24 hrs 7 days a week for yrs and even in 120+ degree weather here in the desert valley. Never ever let me down.

This is assuming you're still on stock fuel injectors and stock t25. As for ebc's I've had the most luck with the HKS EVC series boost controllers and the Apexi AVCR, I know the AVCR is not the smallest boost controller out there but it is one of the best out there! I used it for its fuel injector duty cycle, throttle opening/closing adjustment, and maf monitoring feature.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can jump in here and give some words . .

I have had a S13 Blacktop for over 4.5 years. I myself have put around 85K miles on it. Of those 85K miles I was running 13-14 psi boost, on a stock end with the same setup as you, for around 79K miles! I actually just tested the compression of the engine yesterday and here is what I got . .

When I bought the engine

Cylinder 1 : 155

Cylinder 2 : 154

Cylinder 3 : 156

Cylinder 4 : 155

Compression numbers from yesterday

Cylinder 1 : 153

Cylinder 2 : 153

Cylinder 3 : 154

Cylinder 4 : 155

Now, that just means my engine has been having no problems thus far with the boost. But, the turbo is another deal. Luckily, my turbo hasn't been giving me any issues, but the max psi you would want to run on this is 14, and even then you are pushing it. My car is a weekend driver and hasn't seen any continuous high revving, and I change my oil every 2,700 miles. In my mind, I was lucky and got a beast of a motor but then again our engines (bottom end) can handle 400HP easily. This has been documented MULTIPLE times.

In the end what I am saying is that 14 psi is the MAX you can run your stock setup at, but you need other mods to do so. EBC, fuel pump, exhaust, intake, downpipe, elbow, etc. etc. Good luck and be safe!

(PS. I too am in the process of putting on a GT2871R A/R .64 With some 660cc injectors, a Z32 MAF, and maybe some cams and supporting head work. These cars are fun with a stock SR in it (210HP)and with 300 - 360HP . . . you better know how to handle a go kart!)

Edited by New-to-240z

• 1 month later...

Turbo and engine can handle 12 - 14 psi under normal street car applications for a very long time with a good tune. As my 94 black top SR 180sx did ( purchase it with 60000km on it sold it with 120000KM). By street application i mean driving through traffic 7 days a week and flooring it to full boost maybe once or twice a day.

Personally i prefer electronic boost controllers because they reduce the risk of boost spike. Where you set your boost leave to 14psi and it may spike to 17+ under different driving situations.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, engine can easily handle upwards of 18PSI stock. The turbo . . . MAX is 14 psi. I've seen people push over that . . . but their turbo goes out pretty damn fast! I have a friend who is running a GT2871R at 19 psi and making some good numbers 340+HP on stock block. (of course he has Z32 MAF, 740cc injectors, front mount IC, etc etc. . )

• 3 months later...

You should check what kind of boost the T25 should be able to run based on its compressor map.

With your current setup, I would believe you should be able to run optimal boost level; injectors & stock MAF might be your restrictions there if they are still stock.

Stock turbo should handle 12-13psi of boost.

How much PSI depends on what turbo you are running. My last car, I was running 22psi daily on 93 with a gt35r and never had a problem. You need to make sure the car holds a good a/f ratio through boost. Ive used many boost controllers and the Profec E01 has been the most user friendly and very easy to setup. You can pick one up for 250 used spending a little bit of time looking for one.

• 3 weeks later...