HybridZ

Rb30dett build up

wax

I was going to use a l28 in my car but then thought nah lets go rb engine

So i went and brought a rb26 head if your going to do it then you have to do it right huh

116.jpg

So it was off to get stripped down and hot tanked

115.jpg

The thing that always concerned me was getting a sump to work in my z car

After talking to people i found that the nissan patrol sump would fit

I started looking for one of those but was unable to find one

I did however find an rd28 sump of the diesel

Interesting enough it uses a rubber gasket on the base to seal it

006-8.jpg

004-11.jpg

The issue with this sump is that it has an extra bulge on the bottom to increase its oil capacity.

This would drag on the road in a z-car so it had to go.

002-14.jpg

003-13.jpg

006-9.jpg

009-5.jpg

Ok so time for an engine block, read it and weap every non australian rb fan

ebayrb30.jpg

Yes thats right i paid 10.50 for this engine. It cost more to actually drive and pick it up than it did to buy it

001-17.jpg

Then the block was sent off to be hot tanked

020.jpg

All painted up

The head is all ported now and just have to get the seats cut and start to bolt it all together

023.jpg

024.jpg

Thanks guys more pics coming soon

I have ported the stock exhaust manifolds. I have seen the aftermarket ones break all the time, you can get the stock to work almost as well with out the breaking

• 2 months later...

OK well engine is coming along nicely. I have got n1 turbos for it so I dont have the stress of having ceramic in the turbos blowing apart at high boost.

Just dummy fitting everything and will put it all together in the next week or so, Im still not sure in my head what colour to paint then engine yet

006-13.jpg

010-5.jpg

007-11.jpg

012-3.jpg

You can see the mount for the castlemain kit to fit the rb series engine into the 260z

OK well engine is coming along nicely

Got the n1 turbos for it

Just drumming fitting everything and will put it all together in the next week or so

Just not sure in my head what colour to paint then engine yet

You can see the mount for the castlemain kit to fit the rb series engine into the 260z

We have some basic requirements on this site for posting in clear, concise sentences using punctuation. I do believe you know those rules, but in case you don't... Have a re-read of the rules before your next post. ;)

Edited by Drax240z

I'm sorry to have offended you . Please in future can you send me a pm so i can fix the problem instead of quoting me and thus putting me in a position where i am unable to fix the issue.

Edited by wax
Spelling mistake

What model of RD28 vehicle did it come from? The diesel patrol? the RD28 I have from a diesel RD28 Laurel has a forward sump with the bulk of the bulge under cyls 2 and 3.

Yes it was the diesel patrol

The sump cost me 150 and then just took me some time to modify it

150 for the sump? thats a lot more expensive then the block it's going on :P

I got my RD28 for $10 for the compete engine, add a RB20DE head for $25 and I'm having fun trying to match the two up :P

People from NZ and Australia should not be allowed to post that kind of material on this site. That's just not fair. :-(

Looking good mate.

On the issue of us being able to get the RB30 blocks for cheap, yes that is great for us. However you guys can get V8 blocks for cheap where we cannot. So it is tit for tat. Keep up the work mate, I'll have to stop by and see this build sometime.

nice i wish it could get one for that price but shipping it back to the states is another thing... looks great! gl

If you're interested I have 2 RB30 short blocks for sale. Both in great condition. Not to far from you either. PM me if you're interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my covers back from being powder coated.

I'm very happy with the look, I don't want the motor looking too over done.

I still have to do some cleaning on the intake manifold but it's getting there.

004-24.jpg

Edited by Drax240z