HybridZ

Using Coilpacks from a TecII Need help wiring

dirtbiker245

I am working on a 240 turbo setup that had a TecII ecu on it. I am converting it to a megasquirt setup because the ECU went out on the TecII. I am planning on using the coil packs that mounted on the TecII ( I have made a bracket out of plastic that holds all the coil packs and has holes to put pins into the connections on the back of the coil packs). the problem is that I cant tell which pin is ground and which is for the positive feed. NO, IT IS NOT MARKED. im not an idiot. lol. any and all help is much appreciated. Thanks! and theres a picture attached for reference.

coilpack.jpg

You would be better off getting an ICM (Ignition Control Module) from a GM 60 degree V6, since those are basically GM coils. A simple 7x ( AKA "6+1" wheel is all that is needed to run the crank signal to the ICM.

Then the MS just needs the simple "HEI" connection to inteface with the ICM. There is a specific section in the MegaManual that explains the connections and settings for the GM DIS ICM, and a diagram of the wheel.

This is the ignition system I am using on my Turbo L28, but I am using a GM ECM to run it, that is the only difference.

while that does sound like a good idea. Im trying to use what I already have. I dont want to be wasting a set of perfectly good coils. No need to go buy new ones when these work fine.

Basically, Im not trying to be cheap, but I dont feel the need to go buy new coils when I already have a set. hope that makes sense.

Any ideas on which is positive and which is negative? or anybody know a way to possibbly ohm test it to find out?

No, I didn't say to replace your coils, I said to use the GM ICM...

This installs UNDER the coils. This gives you the interface for the coils, ignition, ground, triggers, and the ICM will decipher the order to fire the coils, due to the crank trigger wheel design.

Sorry, I can see how that may not have been clear in my previous post.

This is what it looks like:

D1998A.jpg

Your coils would mount right to that.

geez, i wish I would have known about that before hand. Being that I have already made this really custom CLEAN looking plexiglass bracket that holds all the coil packs and looks really good in the engine bay as well... i still think im gonna go with this custom one, so I need to still figure out which side is ground and which is for power.

• 2 weeks later...