HybridZ

Rubberized undercoating comparison

z2go

I bought a few cans of both Rustoleum professional rubberized undercoating, and a few cans of Dupli-Color professional rubberized undercoating, and sprayed them on some cardboard so that I could compare the two, and I thought you guys might benefit from the findings.

Both advertised the same benefits, that they were sound deadening, flexible, paintable, etc.

I found that the dupli-color went on thicker, and you could get much more build with it than the Rustoleum. The dupli-color also ended up being much more flexible. I cut a 1 inch square out of the middle of both test sprays, and the rustoleum actually flaked apart and was not very flexible. The Dupli-color was very rubbery, and seemed to hold up better.

Unfortunately I did this after spraying the rustoleum in a wheel well... so I will be removing it to re-apply with Dupli-color.

From what I've heard, dupli-color is comparable to 3m in its thickness and application.

I don't have any comparison with longevity, of course... does anyone have any info on how either have held up over time?

im planning on using 3m. hear good things about the 3m. good info, i will be staying away from rustoleum. i use the rustoleum rust eater and it works like crap.

I guess when it is Walmart's major brand of automotive repair materials, I should have known what I was dealing with...

The 3M professional rubberized undercoating is on sale at my local Advance Auto Parts for 2 for $12 which is a pretty decent deal.

The 3M rubberized is what I sprayed in my wheelwells on my Z and it seems to be ok. It doesn't match the undercoating on the car as the particulate is a little finer and its harder to build-up. The nozzle also seems to clog very easily but I was just putting the clogged ones in Acetone and rotating the tips out as each one clogged. It took about 2-2.5 cans to do each front wheelwell putting on about 2-3 thick coats each.

I haven't had the car on the road yet so I don't know about its durability but it seems like while the top coat has some minor flakiness when you scratch it, you can't get very deep with the scratch without truly digging in so it seems like it will hold up pretty well.

The Dupli-color is 6.99 for a 17oz spraycan, seems pretty good. The rustoleum was about 50 cents more for 2 ounces less.

When I went to remove the rustoleum, it seemed to stick pretty well, I ran a wire wheel over it, and it didn't do much except scuff up the surface and turn it gray. I had to get the heat gun out, and then it softened up and came off. I just didn't like how it didn't have much build, and it was not rubbery as I thought it would be.

how does the price of the dupli-color compare to the price of 3m? Also, is 3m available at the local auto partshouse?

I found 3m on amazon.com for $5 a can, but I have not found it anywhere else, at least not where I am. You might be able to find it regionally, though. The stuff I found on amazon.com wasn't the professional grade stuff, either.

I can personally vouch for the 3-m rubberized undercoating. I use it everyday at work. When we mount the rear end under the trailers all the steel has to be undercoated. That stuff last for ever to. I have seen trailers 10 plus years old and the undercoating still looks real good, and no rust issues what so ever. Couple years back some of the big wheels though they where going to save some money and switch to a cheaper brand after about 4 months of use we had some complaints up north of rust. So after saving a couple hundred bucks we had to pay out a couple grand for warranty work.

So my 2cents Dont step on a quarter to pick up a dime :mrgreen::mrgreen:

Anybody ever tried the spray on bed liner that they put in truck beds?

They make some that is self install...

John

Are you talking about using this for undercoating?

i dont know but i would think that stuff is pretty heavy, It gets pretty hard to so it might not block much noise.

I used the Dupli-color Rubberized Undercoating and compared it to the Dupli-color Bed lining spray, Almost Identical, except for cost, so I used the Rubberized undercoating on all of my sheetmetal interior under the carpets and spare tire area and it great reduced the noises I used to get all the time, now I need a couple more cans so I can do inside of my doors and the wheel wells, after I fix the small rust spot in the existing coating of rubber. Time for some sheet metal fun with a tig welder!

Are you talking about using this for undercoating?

i dont know but i would think that stuff is pretty heavy, It gets pretty hard to so it might not block much noise.

I guess there are two schools of thought on this, if your looking for lite weight product that will not scuff of speed then maybe the bedliner type material would not be the best choice.

If your looking to provide a nice undercoating that holds up over time (my goal) along with some sound damping properties then use it.

It's my plan of attack in an effort to prevent long term rust return and sound damping.

Thanks for the input.

John

Wal-mart has gobs of the professional grade 3M. I think it was $7 a can or so.

All of the Wal-marts around me stopped carrying the 3M undercoating and now only carry Rustoleum. This was a recent change, I don't know if thats the case everywhere.

Yeah, the three Walmarts near me have all switched over to Rustoleum. The Autozones here are starting to sell more and more Rustoleum products as well. I bought some Rustoleum aircraft remover and noticed it did not work as well as the one made by Klean Strip. boo, I'm not liking this.

Has anyone used Herculiner for undercoating?? Its available at Autozone in a 1 gallon jug and is well under 100 dollars.

Yeah, the three Walmarts near me have all switched over to Rustoleum. The Autozones here are starting to sell more and more Rustoleum products as well. I bought some Rustoleum aircraft remover and noticed it did not work as well as the one made by Klean Strip. boo, I'm not liking this.

Has anyone used Herculiner for undercoating?? Its available at Autozone in a 1 gallon jug and is well under 100 dollars.

The best aircraft remover I've used is Tal-Strip made by MarHyde. You can find it at Advance Auto Parts.