HybridZ

How to do a RHD Conversion

280zjoel

Hey 280zjoel, sorry I took so long to get back to you. I am the one that asked if you still had the sheet metal supports that basically end up hidden under the headlight buckets. I found a pretty good picture of what I need and copied the address below. I need the part that is left sticking out the front in this picture. You are looking at the inside/backside of the part I need and I need it for both sides. Let me know if you understand my ramblings about the part and if you have it. Thanks in advance.

<http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp264/Aussie260z/09022009754640x480.jpg>

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not much giong on right now. I have been swamped with side work so the car has been on hold for a bit. I did hit a snag though, I installed the cracked RHD dash in the Z for the time being until I get the dash I am restoring finished off. The problem I have is that I need to extend a plug from my Sr20det harness to my Z harness, when I check the plug on the 280z FSM it makes mention that the specific plug im trying to extend leads to the Fuel Injection harness. it is a 6pin plug with only 4 pins being used. the colors are:

White w/red stripe

Green w/blue stripe

Black w/yellow stripe

Black w/white stripe

the problem I am getting is that on the RHD dash I do not see the same plug that would connect to it. I am assuming that they are different colors. Can anyone help me to figure out which plug to connect it to? I tried searching for a 78 Fairlady Z FSM but I cant seem to find one. Anyone know where I could download the FSM?

Not much giong on right now. I have been swamped with side work so the car has been on hold for a bit. I did hit a snag though, I installed the cracked RHD dash in the Z for the time being until I get the dash I am restoring finished off. The problem I have is that I need to extend a plug from my Sr20det harness to my Z harness, when I check the plug on the 280z FSM it makes mention that the specific plug im trying to extend leads to the Fuel Injection harness. it is a 6pin plug with only 4 pins being used. the colors are:

White w/red stripe

Green w/blue stripe

Black w/yellow stripe

Black w/white stripe

the problem I am getting is that on the RHD dash I do not see the same plug that would connect to it. I am assuming that they are different colors. Can anyone help me to figure out which plug to connect it to? I tried searching for a 78 Fairlady Z FSM but I cant seem to find one. Anyone know where I could download the FSM?

I dont know how you are wiring up your car. But I am temporarily going to run the stock ecu/maf/injectors to make sure everything is ok. You dont have to mess with any of the sr20 harness one small section off it. The sections is explained here.

http://www.frsport.com/SR20DET-Swap-Engine-Harness-Wiring-Diagram-Guide-SR-SR20_t_26.html

Its at the bottom of the website. Just cross reference everything that needs 12 volts with the body harness of your car. Remember that on FRsport, Red / Black stripe Red / Black stripe ECU relay This wire refers to the GROUND of the ECU relay.

• 1 month later...

Hey Joel How is the build going?

Nick

Its kind of on hold right now. Im in the process of getting a small shop opened up right now and money is tight too. Hopefully soon I will be able to finish it off. Honestly right now i just need a little bit of rewiring and it should be ready to start right up. Hopefully soon I should have an update.

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys, haven't had much progress lately since ive been self employed, but on a positive note I did end up opening up a small shop to do work on the side. I recently opened up and now I actually have some time and space to work on the Z. The dashboard is pretty much done, just need to spray it with texture spray and vinyl paint and I should be good to go. Hopefully soon I will have a video of me driving it. I did drive it up and down the shop parking lot with the biggest grin on my face. B)

0619002025.jpg?t=1277011483

0619002025a.jpg?t=1277011511

0619002026b.jpg?t=1277011534

If it's the connector for the EFI Relays, the Fairlday Z has it on the same side as LHD cars, it will NOT be by the steering wheel on the RHD Dash, it will be up near the glove box. My 76 and 77 are packed away now, but if you still can't find it I can go look where it is on my car and give you a general location with a photo or two.

I put a 76 280Z EFI harness into my 76 Fairlady Z, and the EFI relay plug from the LHD Car was a perfect fit to wherever the connector was on my Fairlady. The plug configuration was EXACTLY the same, and there was NOTHING nearby that had a plug even remotely close to plugging into it.

You may want to look for an Australian or UK Spec FSM (if such a thing exists separately) as I have not had much success finding mush service manual information on the FZ.

Edited by Tony D

If it's the connector for the EFI Relays, the Fairlday Z has it on the same side as LHD cars, it will NOT be by the steering wheel on the RHD Dash, it will be up near the glove box. My 76 and 77 are packed away now, but if you still can't find it I can go look where it is on my car and give you a general location with a photo or two.

I put a 76 280Z EFI harness into my 76 Fairlady Z, and the EFI relay plug from the LHD Car was a perfect fit to wherever the connector was on my Fairlady. The plug configuration was EXACTLY the same, and there was NOTHING nearby that had a plug even remotely close to plugging into it.

You may want to look for an Australian or UK Spec FSM (if such a thing exists separately) as I have not had much success finding mush service manual information on the FZ.

Im going to have to check that out.I know what you mean about the FZ FSM, ive looked everywhere for it too.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

what kind of spoiler are you using under there? Is it a g-nose specific airdam, or a generic one you installed with some adaptations?

(Got the top half of a nice G-Nose, no bottom tho...at least not as in as nice shape as that top half...)

what kind of spoiler are you using under there? Is it a g-nose specific airdam, or a generic one you installed with some adaptations?

(Got the top half of a nice G-Nose, no bottom tho...at least not as in as nice shape as that top half...)

yep, its a stock gnose bottom, its just not bolted on in the picture,It needs quite a bit of fiberglass work, but I am pretty good with that stuff.

• 2 months later...

Hey Guys, its been awhile since I had an update. Ive been really busy with opening up a small automotive shop with my brother and some friends. Kind of suck since we have been broken into 9 times in the last 5 months... but oh well, Things lately have slowed down so I had some time to work on the Z!!!! B)

there is just a teaser shot of whats to come:

2011-01-07_22-35-37_434.jpg?t=1294474845

These darn competition hood scoops keep coming up this week! Its fate trying to remind me that I can't find one! Mind if I ask where you got yours?

Actually when this Z belonged to my brother he found the hood at the local Junkyard and got the hood and scoop for $35. Super rare find, especially for finding it at the junk yard.

Update time!!! Almost done with the body work, got to finish off the dash today along with the *New* driver side quarter panel and door. Almost done, I cant wait to get this thing back on the road!!! Here are some more pics. I'm in love with the dash board right now it looks AMAZING!

2011-01-15_20-06-12_322.jpg?t=1295160509

:P

2011-01-15_20-06-43_727.jpg?t=1295160569

2011-01-15_20-06-20_196.jpg?t=1295160614

2011-01-15_20-06-28_464.jpg?t=1295160652

In all of these pics the dash looks kind of shiny, that's only because the primer has not dried yet. Not bad for $80 worth of materials and a poop load of labor.the nice thing is that since its all fiberglassed i'm pretty sure it will never crack..... hopefully B)

Here are some pics of the quarter panel and the driver side door:

2011-01-15_21-04-15_595.jpg?t=1295160798

2011-01-15_20-07-02_556.jpg?t=1295161187

2011-01-15_20-07-11_319.jpg?t=1295161226

All I need to do is body work the driver side fender, Gnose front end, rear hatch, and roll pan, and pass. side door. Then I will be done with the bodywork. I will post pics of the work on the Gnose soon, it needs ALOT of work to look good. If anyone has an extra set of Gnose hinges for a good price, please let me know. I really need a set.

got some more work done today on the Z. I set the dashboard in the car to see how well it looks, ill let you all be the judges of that:

2011-01-17_16-23-49_334.jpg?t=1295337223

Here are a few pics of the whole car, almost done primering the it.

2011-01-17_16-18-46_999.jpg?t=1295337380

2011-01-17_16-18-53_824.jpg?t=1295337522

2011-01-17_16-17-45_334.jpg?t=1295337555

2011-01-17_16-17-35_468.jpg?t=1295337589

2011-01-17_16-17-23_358.jpg?t=1295337642

There you have it, once I finish the bodywork on the Gnose and Hatch then I will work on getting the jams cleaned up and primered as well.