HybridZ

My first Z!

Well with the 1jz powered FC RX7 I built for sale and all, today I picked up a car I've been dreaming about for years.

Shes a little worse for the wear right now, been sitting 3 years or so inside. Minor rust issues, 140k needs some lovin!

Thankfully, the car is very complete and I wont have to source many parts.

I'll fix what needs to be fixed in order to get the car drivable, then restore the interior and body, paint and then maybe a crazy swap in the future... 2jz? maybe.

On to the pics :D

loading.jpg

leavingtheforest.jpg

leavingtheforest2.jpg

home.jpg

home2.jpg

home1.jpg

interior-2.jpg

Going to start cleaning her up tomorrow :D

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BTW i have this perfect ct26 turbo charger laying around. wonder how that would match with the l28? hehe

GUYS, i just found out this might be a 280zx

not sure how to tell, but the vin/engine plate under the hood says 170hp, which I think was zx only?

it's a 75 according to the title etc

so the 75 280z had the 170hp engine? i thought it was 149 or something.

Followed me into the Z territory eh? :mrgreen:

You bought the T2 hood from me a while back for your FC.

The car you have there is a 280z, the ZX wasn't around until 1979? if i'm not mistaken. The horsepower on the door plate is exagerated, back then they measured horsepower in a different way that yeilded more power than the way they do it today.

Basically on an engine dyno, in an air conditioned room, with no accessories and anything else they could do to help pump up the power to sell the car. The 149 flywheel horsepower is the more correct amount of power that the car came with.

Anyways, glad to see there's another Z in town. Was getting kind of lonely as the Z's that I do see around do notice my Z but won't wave back...

Let me know if you need a hand with anything.

Followed me into the Z territory eh? :mrgreen:

You bought the T2 hood from me a while back for your FC.

The car you have there is a 280z, the ZX wasn't around until 1979? if i'm not mistaken. The horsepower on the door plate is exagerated, back then they measured horsepower in a different way that yeilded more power than the way they do it today.

Basically on an engine dyno, in an air conditioned room, with no accessories and anything else they could do to help pump up the power to sell the car. The 149 flywheel horsepower is the more correct amount of power that the car came with.

Anyways, glad to see there's another Z in town. Was getting kind of lonely as the Z's that I do see around do notice my Z but won't wave back...

Let me know if you need a hand with anything.

Yeah you got an extra electric fuel pump? lol

Your pops hiring? I need a full time job.... hey you asked if i needed help lol

took apart the fuel pump and cleaned it, got it working :D

Fired right up! but had a massive fuel leak, spraying fuel 6 feet in the air LOL

Fixed the leak, tried filling the cooling system with just water... water everywhere!

Block was missing a freeze plug for whatever reason. Put a new one in and am currently waiting for the silicone to cure a little before trying again.

looks like i might be able to take it around the block today!

engine sounds awesome at idle, very smooth... not even any smoke from the exhaust (yet, lol)

Well i took it around the block today, runs like ♥♥♥♥. suspecting spark problem or maybe weak fuel pump. maybe both.

it runs crazy rich at idle, hesitates when you give it more then a tiny bit of gas, sometimes back fires etc. Hard to start sometimes, others it starts right back up.

The coil looks good but there is this ceramic isolator thing under it that is cracked. The power wires for the coil go through it, might be the issue or at least a issue.