HybridZ

Can someone educate me on headlight specs?

PanzerAce

The FSM says I need a 6012 headlight for the Z. But every headlight company I've checked has the H6024 instead as the headlight for the Z. What (if anything) is the difference between the two?

On a semi related note, what's the max wattage recommended to put through the stock '73 headlight wiring? I'm not really looking to install relays right now (that's down the road for when I have more time), but am interested in more light...

The 6012 is 50/40 watts High/low beam.

The 6014 is 60/50 watts high/low beam.

The 6012 is difficult to find any more. The 6014 was used as a replacement for the 6012 over the years and can still be found.

The H6024 is the Halogen replacement for the 6014 and is rated at 65/35 watts.

If your headlight wiring/conections/switches are in good condition, you should have no problem using any of these with stock wiring.

Be carful when buying the H6024. some bulbs are rated at a higher wattage than the H6024 standard.

In all cases, your headlights will be brighter and your light switch will last longer and run cooler if you add relays to power the headlights.

Steve.

The FSM says I need a 6012 headlight for the Z. But every headlight company I've checked has the H6024 instead as the headlight for the Z. What (if anything) is the difference between the two?

On a semi related note, what's the max wattage recommended to put through the stock '73 headlight wiring? I'm not really looking to install relays right now (that's down the road for when I have more time), but am interested in more light...

Take a couple hours and do the HID upgrade - you'll reduce the draw on the system from 55W to 35W, add a single relay that controlls both lights and greatly increase your light output - win/win!

Take a couple hours and do the HID upgrade - you'll reduce the draw on the system from 55W to 35W, add a single relay that controlls both lights and greatly increase your light output - win/win!

I was under the impression that there was not currently a 'drop in' projector setup. Has this changed?

I was under the impression that there was not currently a 'drop in' projector setup. Has this changed?

As far as I know, this is true. However, do not assume you have to have a projector setup to have HID. There are a number of HID conversions for the H4 envelope.

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=154268

There are also quite a number of technical tricks (relays first among them) which will get you more light from incandescent/tungsten-halogen/xenon light sources, mostly by reducing voltage drop to the bulbs.

HID Conversions in the USA are illegal.

This is true, but enforcement varies widely from place-to-place. Unless you are really stupid about it, you probably won't have a problem with it. If you are worried about it, there are quite a number of other light source options, some legal, some not.

You can also increase light output by using better optics. The H4 envelope which fits the Z varies greatly in quality. The better designed and built envelopes do put more light on the road. Some folks like the Euro-spec envelopes better than the DOT, but note that this, too, is technically illegal.

http://www.rallylights.com/hella/HeadlampsMain.aspx

Note that the bulbs you have discussed above (eg. 6012) are sealed beams (the envelope and bulb are one inseperable unit), where the H4 is an envelope only, with a replacable bulb. The optics in just about any H4 will be superior to a sealed beam, and will produce more light.