HybridZ

(Misfire) Before and after side gapping the plugs - VIDEOS

cygnusx1

Wow I have been battling this misfire at idle, and part throttle issue for about a month. Last night I decided to try side gapping the set of NGK's that were in there. Listen to the difference. Car starts, runs, better and smoother.

I tried all kinds of mixture, timing corrections, and back flushing the injectors, to minimize the misfires. Nothing really worked until this.

LOL you can hear my 240Z clock mechanism in my 280 clock ticking in the "After" video.

Misfire.zip

It was still in warmup mode in the second video but yes, smooth after warmup and at 1000rpm's where my idle is set warmed up. You can still barely hear a misfire but it is almost inaudible and has little to no effect on idle or vacuum signal anymore. Side-gapping is probably better than indexing alone. Indexing would be a nice second step though.

Side gapping:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Save-Gas-And-Incerase-Horsepower-By-Side-Gapping-S/

Now, I might be masking a failing, weak ignition, or weird fuel mixture, but what it demonstrated to me is that side-gapping makes a heck of a difference in this car.

What happens if you drop the idle down to say 900? Still smooth? What is side gapping? Indexing?

Joe

To answer your question, Side gap is cutting part of the tip off the plug that would be above the diode. So it sparks to the "side" and not in a straight line.

Indexing is a little harder question. It evolves matching the direction of your plugs spark to your exhaust valves.

If you go a google search there are a few good pages on doing this and tests that show its affect. Very good info.

• 5 weeks later...