HybridZ

Steering universal joints

MetalThrashingMad

Does anyone know where I can get the small U-joints that are in the steering linkage? I've looked all over the net but I can't seem to find any information on them. I punched mine out and all the needle bearings are flat :confused2

Here are some ideas: 1. Locate and buy a usable used steering shaft and be certain that it fits your application or buy both the short splined end that bolts to the rag disc AND the matching longer rod that is splined and bolts to your rack. There are variations in the length of these two elements, but if you get them matched they are the same length for 240-260- and 280. S30s. 2. Buy an appropriate Borgeonson ujoint and build your own. 3. Try rebuilding the existing u-joint. The ujoint "cross and journals" from the 90's Subaru sedans [Think WRX body style] are very, very close to the same dimensions as the 240. The splines, however, do not match. Try pressing out the the "cross and journals" from the Subaru and pressing them into the Z's yokes.

If all else fails, I have a decent complete shaft from an early Series 1 S30 for something somewhat less than your first born or left arm. If you wish to purchase, PM me and we'll try to work something out.

Here is a picture showing the difference between steering shaft assemblies.

240z_steering_rod_spline.jpg

g

3. Try rebuilding the existing u-joint. The ujoint "cross and journals" from the 90's Subaru sedans [Think WRX body style] are very, very close to the same dimensions as the 240. The splines, however, do not match. Try pressing out the the "cross and journals" from the Subaru and pressing them into the Z's yokes.

This is going to be my first method of action. I have access to a complete machine shop so even if the WRX journals are slightly larger I can mill them out. I don't plan on buying a whole new shaft and everything, seeings the u joint is the only bad thing on it.

Thanks for everyone's replies :burnout: