HybridZ

flywheel questions

I have searched and came to a bunch of random stuff that had nothing to do with my question. I was wondering if there is a difference in the 280zx 2 seater fly wheel and the 2+2 flywheel. I got a new clutch for free and it is for a 2+2 and was wanting to put it in a car I have torn apart right now. Before I open the package and try it on, I would like to know. Thanks in advance

If there is a difference any one in a state bordering KY have a flywheel they want to sell?

There is one in a junkyard near me but they are ass holes and I dont want to give my money to them

Guest Rolling Parts
T...The flywheels are identical as to boltiing and teeth for the starter.

Not quite.

The bolt patterns are quite different for the clutch (pressure plate).

You could use a free 225mm clutch disk on a 240mm flywheel (just not the other way around).

Guest Rolling Parts

There differences beyond the flywheel.

You better also buy the correct length throwout sleeve for that taller "turbo" clutch assembly. Otherwise you'll do all that work and the clutch won't engage if you don't get the shorter 48mm one...

EDIT: Wow, free clutches sure can cost a lot, LOL.

And: "search! And let me know what you come up with"

there differences beyond the flywheel.

You better also buy the correct length throwout sleeve for that taller "turbo" clutch assembly. Otherwise you'll do all that work and the clutch won't engage if you don't get the shorter 48mm one...

Edit: Wow, free clutches sure can cost a lot, lol.

lmao the bearing is the same its the collar that that is different. I need the smaller one.

There differences beyond the flywheel.

EDIT: Wow, free clutches sure can cost a lot, LOL.

I always assume that "one", replaces the thowout bearing when doing a clutch.

My beck arnly clutch assembly was a direct bolt on. No problems to date.

Guest Rolling Parts
I always assume that "one", replaces the thowout bearing when doing a clutch.

That's not what I said (because all bearings are identical).

That's why I use the word SLEEVE and not the word BEARING.

You have to match the throwout SLEEVE to the clutch assembly you use.

You have to match the clutch assembly to the FLYWHEEL that you you use.

The details are important to avoid the "oh crap" of having to re-pull a transmission...

That's not what I said (because all bearings are identical).

That's why I use the word SLEEVE and not the word BEARING.

You have to match the throwout SLEEVE to the clutch assembly you use.

You have to match the clutch assembly to the FLYWHEEL that you you use.

The details are important to avoid the "oh crap" of having to re-pull a transmission...

so true

Guest Rolling Parts
Did not know there was a problem for others

The "turbo/2+2/240mm" flywheel has a little more clamping force so the release fingers are a little beefier and stand up a little taller. The problem comes if you leave the longer sleeve on the transmission when you swap in a taller clutch assembly. The longer sleeve pushes on the release when you mate the trans back on the engine and so the clutch is in permanent disengage. You can shorten the slave rod to add some clearance but it's just so much easier to make all the parts match while it's all apart...

I really don't think you are going to have a problem with the clutch fork breaking a finger on an oem (turbo) pressure plate.

Rolling parts has a point so you will have to decide.

Even though it is hydraulic, my clutch pedal had no noticeable increase in pressure. (running stock sleeve and clutch fork, na)

So it will be up to you to decide what you are going to do.

I really don't think you are going to have a problem with the clutch fork breaking a finger on an oem (turbo) pressure plate.

That's not what RollingParts said at all...actually he explained it very clearly, better than I could have, which is good, so I won't try to repeat what he already said! LOL this thread is getting messy...

I've posted in the driveline section with links in order to find results for differences.

There is a particular link that shows flywheel deck to pressure plate finger distances.

For my self, putting the throw out bearing on the sleave that came with the transmission, using the fork that also came with transmission worked fine.

You can always drill two holes, one for flashlight, one for eye in the bellhousing to take a look.