HybridZ

Drums of DOOM!

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brake cleaner isn't nearly flammable enough. ;) I doubt there's enough volume behind the drum to make an explosion big enough to knock it off anyhow.

When burned brake cleaner can be converted in to dangerous gasses. Specifically hydrogen chloride and phosgene. Both are nasty stuff and can cause permanent harmful effects possibly even death being exposed to very small amounts.

Hydrogen Chloride

Phosgene

I'm not saying it happens every time with every brand of brake cleaner, but I wouldn't do it. Check the warning label anyways, and take it seriously.

I tried a hammer at first and then moved to a slide hammer. A large slide Hammer seems to be far easier, you can either hook to the fins or could drill a extra hole in the drum. Start hammering on one side and move to the other and keep alternating. Worked out well, where the normal hammer seemed like a lost cause.

Autozone loans out a crappy slide hammer i believe but i think it's only for pulling hubs and doesn't have any attachments.

Edited by goodoldjam

When burned brake cleaner can be converted in to dangerous gasses. Specifically hydrogen chloride and phosgene. Both are nasty stuff and can cause permanent harmful effects possibly even death being exposed to very small amounts.

Hydrogen Chloride

Phosgene

I'm not saying it happens every time with every brand of brake cleaner, but I wouldn't do it. Check the warning label anyways, and take it seriously.

Good to know. That must explain all the birth defects I've been having lately.

A good charcoal filter goes a long way when you're working with stuff you know if nasty, but don't know HOW nasty. I always play it as safe as I have the means to.