HybridZ

71 240Z Too Low w/ Eibach Springs

Just recently got my 71' back on the ground. Installed Tokico HP Struts w/ the Eibach PR Springs from MSA. The front looks good, but the rear scrubs the tires (195/70R14) on any dip or bump. I have been searching alot on this issue. Most of the time it seems the springs were reversed or upside down. It is just not the case for me.

Here's the rundown:

Contacted MSA to verify proper installation:

They state part # 6305.001 are the front springs and 6305.002 are the rear -- I can see the numbers on the front and they match.

They state shorter coils should be at the top -- they are.

They state the longer spring should be in the rear -- as I remember they were. However, I found one post where someone stated the longer springs went in the front???

I can see that at least the first 7 rungs on the spring are compressed and touching in the rear.

As far as I know the strut housings are stock.

Alot of the posts state that the lowering springs are loose in the seats, I had to compress mine to get the seat and insulator on.

Spacers are new polyurethane and are in place.

I measured the ride height just behind the front tire and just in front of the rear tire to the rocker panel. There is about 3/4" difference between the front and rear.

No additions to cause a weight issue. R200. No spare tire.

Rear CV Axle COnversion.

All new poly bushings.

I have read about people using the 240Z Strut Insulators to lower a 280Z. Is it possible to do the opposite and use the 280 insulators to raise the rear? Any adverse effects if keeping the 240 struts & springs? It sure seems a waste to try and lower the car only to have to lift it to have a scrub free ride. I have a set of the 280 insulators and I will recheck the rear springs when disaasembling.

Anybody out there run into anything similar? I am frustrated and at a loss...

Spacers are new polyurethane and are in place.

What spacers?

I measured the ride height just behind the front tire and just in front of the rear tire to the rocker panel. There is about 3/4" difference between the front and rear.

If the front or rear lower?

No additions to cause a weight issue. R200. No spare tire.

R200 adds 35 lbs. CVs at 15 lbs, etc. Sure there aren't any more weighty items (stereo speakers, etc.)?

Where are the rear tires rubbing? Stock wheels? Are the wheels zero offset?

Flipping springs makes no difference at all except in the unsprung weight. Long springs go in the back, that other guy was wrong.

If you look, the wheel wells are actually cut differently in the front and the rear. It's normal that the rear should be lower compared to the front if the car is perfectly level because of this different cut. You can put the 280 insulators on and that will raise the back approx 1". If that makes it look better to you and you already have the parts it seems like a no brainer to put them in.

The best solution would be to get wheels with a different offset. You should have no problems running 195s on the back of a Z without rubbing anything.

John C:

Spacers referred to are the rear upper strut spacers. They go in between the insulator and the spring seat.

Rear is lower.

Tire are rubbing on the flat edge of the wheel well.

There is a speaker box (MSA) with 2 6x9 speakers. Possibly 20 lbs. total.

The wheels are the old Shelby Slotted Mag type. Zero Offset.

I wouldn't have a problem if the car just looked lower in the rear as long as it was functional.

I've read some threads where using the 280 insulators was talked about using to raise. There was no follow up and no responses from the initial authors. Just want to be sure this is a mod with no other ill effect.

Ok how long has it been since you installed your struts and springs. They may just need to settle which should take a few weeks.

If your having rubbing problems i would run either a smaller width tire. Or roll your fenders. What size tires are you running in the rear?

The tires all the way around are 195/70R14. These were on the car initially and are close if not a stock size. Would have thought there would be enough clearance even for these.

The car has been on the ground for about a month and actively driven for about 2 weeks. Everything should be settled by now.

Wheels/tires are on my list, although I was hoping to recoup awhile from initial restoration costs before anything else. May have no choice.

I know the diff is about 25 lbs more, it doesn't seem like the CV axles would be 15 lbs. heavier each than the old driveshafts. I'm figuring between the diff, CV axles, speaker box and the difference without the spare tire -- I probably added 40-50lbs. in the rear. Would this be enough to cause a 3/4" difference in height between the front and rear at the rocker panel (the difference is -- lower in the rear)?

I thought about rolling the fenders but I have seen some bad results from this.

Thanks for the response.