HybridZ

White Smoke Coming From My 93 300zx Please help?

Broclnder

Smoke Coming From My 1993 Nissan 300zx.. Please help!?

I just got this car..When I test drove it, it ran fine.. no smoke, nothing... some dings here and there, but thats it.

Anyways before I bought it I made sure it passed smog with the owner. I took it to a guy and it passed and failed. Passed visual.. Passed CO test..Didn't Pass NO test. The guy said that it was easily fixable and to give him $100 dollars and afterwards it will pass smog. I Left and came back and he gave me the paperwork and i left. i had my buddy drive the car to my house while I followed in my car. When we got to my house I drove it to my dads to show him. On the way about 5-6 miles from my house all of a sudden all this smoke was coming from underneath the car. The Temp was normal, no check engine light, nothing. I get off the freeway and pull into a gas station. I look underneath the hood and no smoke was coming from there. I drop down to the floor and notice that the smoke was coming from exactly between the back of the engine and I think the tranny would be. It was exactly underneath the automatic shifter and the armrest would be. There was no leaks coming from underneath the car. All I seen was white smoke coming from that spot between the motor and I think the tranny. My buddy told me to move the car forward. He noticed that there was 2 little droplets of liquid on the floor. It was pink in color. Called the previous owner furious and he told me nothing should be wrong, and that the smog place must have did something. I drove to my dads about another 5-6 miles and on the way I was hearing a thumping almost grinding sound coming from below the arm rest only when I would be at a complete stop and then drive. After I drove for a second and picked up speed, I wouldn't hear that sound anymore. The car smoked still as I got there. Dad told me not to drive it anymore and get some tranny fluid. Bought some and put some in and car was still having the same issues. Grinding at a complete stop from underneath armrest just until I picked up speed and smoking from underneath the car. Just to not make this story long, what do you think the issue could be?

SYMPTOMS:

1: White smoke coming from between the back of engine and believe tranny ( below auto shifter and armrest)

2: Noticed pink droplet on the floor (believe its tranny fluid)

3: Grinding at complete stop when I accelerate. When I pass 10mph or lets say 20-30 ft it would stop.

I need help.. what can the issue be?

Possibilities: ( Dad Thinks)

Tranny mount, Tranny pump.. Can this be it?or is it something worse?

What does the smoke smell like? Oil or coolant? Have to checked the tranny fluid level, or did you just add more in? Have you checked your engine coolant level?

1) Could be leaking coolant from the heater hoses between engine and firewall. Engine rear main seal, or tranny/torqueconverter seal could be leaking.

2) Are the pink droplets at the front or back of the tranny? There are also some tranny oil cooler lines that could be leaking. Can you jack the car up and find out exactly where the fluid is leaking?

3) Grinding is bad. You need to isolate where the noise is coming from.

you mention auto shifter. sounds to me like a problem with the torque converter, when it locks up the sound stops, when it's not locked up and there's that grinding thumping as misaligned bits hit each other. I suspect if you check the bearings in the tranny for slop there will be a buggered front bearing/seal somewhere.

thanks for your reply bro. I took it to a shop today and the guy told me that the issue with the grinding was the tranny mount and the white smoke was coming from the seal or gasket of the transmission. Like i said before the grinding noise only happened when I was at a complete stop and then I would drive forward at the light about 10-15 ft and then the noise would stop. The guy also told me that i needed to change the cat converter and rack n pinion in the future. I just don't have the money now. He also told me that because of the seal or gasket of tranny thats why it's leaking onto the pipe and thats why I see the smoke. Is that true about everything he said? He told me he would replace the gasket and mounts with a oil change( not sure if engine oil or tranny oil) for $110 and $75 for the mounts thats with labor. Do you think this would resolve the issue?

• 1 month later...

sounds like a lemon... I would talk to the PO and see if maybe they'll cove 1/2 the repair costs. If they balk, tell em you'll be hearing from a lawyer. give the car back and get your $ back. The steering rack is a $800 job. Converter, I dunwanna know. even used parts aren't cheap. my 92 is $600 bucks everytime I take her in.