HybridZ

280ZX SBC Conversion. 350 V8

shawn83zxt

How's it going everyone.

I've been converting my 280ZX into a SBC powered street machine for just about two years now. I had to take a rather large break during this time frame to deploy to Iraq, so don't think I was just procrastinating :)

I'll start by describing the stock L28ET removal. (28DEC07) This was pretty simple, drained fluids, and started removing the harness and labeling things. There's not much that you have to pay attention to. I went the way of a carb'd 350, so I left a bit of the stock wiring harness in tact. In particular, I utilize the stock starter wires, and the (+) going to the stock coil. This will give you the 12v switched line for your MSD units and so forth. Keep all of the alternator wiring together as well. Next is engine removal. Self explanatory, consult your manual.

Everything you need for this swap can be had from http://www.jagsthatrun.com . The engine mounts run around 250 USD, and this includes a trans x-member. Initially I was going to use a 5 speed Tremec, but in the end I found a great deal on a 350/350 setup. I needed to purchase a little extension plate so that the supplied trans x-member would bolt correctly to the TH350. The radiator that is available through JTR is great, and will bolt in just like the stocker. Built-in trans cooler as well! My drive shaft is being built by Santa Maria Driveline in Santa Maria, CA. My measurement was roughly 26 and 1/8 inches. The proper adapter for getting a Chevy drive shaft can also be found at JTR!

Here is a list of all the fun stuff:

• Trick Flow 23 Aluminum Heads
  • Edelbrock Performer Intake
  • Comp Cam 268xe
  • 2200 Stall Converter
  • Scorpion Roller Rockers
  • MSD 6AL / MSD Dist
  • 1.5" Primary 2.5" Collector Sanderson block huggers. Ceramic Coated
  • Battery relocated to the rear
  • SS brake lines all around
  • Hurst full ratchet shifter

The to-do list!

• Wire my alternator correctly. I don't know which wire in the terminal needs to be hot!
  • Figure out how this shifter is supposed to bolt in!
  • Electric fan (Black Magic most likely)
  • Exhaust
  • Bleed all my lines
  • Cut hood, low profile scoop.
  • Throttle linkage. The Lokar kit I purchased was WAY too long
  • Arizona Z Car big brake kit

Pictures Coming soon.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...