HybridZ

Cam for torque and stroker EFI

JelmerPatrol

What is the best cam to go with my stroker if I want torque? My Patrol weights 4000 pounds so I want bottomend torque instead of lots of HP at high rpm's.

My combo is L28 block 3mm bored, V07 crank, L24 rods, KA24 pistons, 2mm Tomei head gasket and N42 head.

This would give me a compression ratio of 10.222. I know that I have to use bigger injectors but can I run this setup with the stock ZX EFI? Maybe a bigger trottlebody?

• Administrators

Use the search function and search for "cams with stock EFI"!

In short, if are planning to retain the stock EFI, you will be going backwards with those mods. It might make a little more power, most likely wont! The only way to take advantage of any power increase those parts would yield is going to require after-market EFI or carbs.

If you are dead set on those engine mods, you better put aftermarket EFI on the very top of the list, other wise you will be highly disappointed. Trust me on me on this. Seen it played out first hand far too many times to count. :wink:

Use the search function and search for "cams with stock EFI"!

In short, if are planning to retain the stock EFI, you will be going backwards with those mods. It might make a little more power, most likely wont! The only way to take advantage of any power increase those parts would yield is going to require after-market EFI or carbs.

If you are dead set on those engine mods, you better put aftermarket EFI on the very top of the list, other wise you will be highly disappointed. Trust me on me on this. Seen it played out first hand far too many times to count. :wink:

I do love my carbies. :icon56: Nothing is better than burning a gallon of gas off throttle rolling down a hill with the engine braking.

Anyway yah, I agree. Stock EFI will go ape ♥♥♥♥ if you change cams drastically or send a ton of boost through. Somewhere on here lingers the "small port head" thread, discussing on how to make good low end power by keeping the velocity of the mixture up at lower RPM's. Its interesting.

• Administrators
Carbs are out of the question. If I'm on a steep hill the carbs will over flood and the engine stops running.

I do have an Megasquirt laying around but I'm not an expert in this kind of stuff!

But what cam is the best to use? Maybe I should stick with my stock Patrol L28 cam?

With the stock EFI, your only "best" option is the stock cam! Again, covered MULTIPLE times in the search I mentioned above. :wink:

Anyone seen my spoon... :shock:

Give him the option of metal, wooden, or plastic spoon beating. Thats what my mom use to do. Really bad behavior brought the metal weapon. :P

I want to know about this "Patrol" business. If its the one in your avatar it looks cool! I've been looking for an old beater.

Well since you have megasquirt get cracking! you have allot of reading to do. get the harness , and sensors and start building the thing. For cam Iam not too sure wouldnt hurt throwin in aftermarket cam or getting a re grind. Search up stroker set ups and cams. As Braap said there is a ton of info especially written from him in the stickies!

ya you can run on your stock efi , but remember the tune is different and your engine has been heavily modified for sure it will run but like Braap said its backward mods; if your intent on just getting it running than ya put your stock efi and you can start building your MS on the side and research.

I had to give the link for this one!!!

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=143259&highlight=small+port+heads

Read this....it's applicable to you. Carbs may not be as good as EFI because of the angles/slopes you might use your machine on. There are some Holley's that are off road compatible but if you already have a megasquirt.......then use that!! :burnout:

Cheers.

Called an MQ Patrol in Oz. Nearly bought one myself a few years ago.....had an L28 too!

A stock cam will give the most low rpm torque. With a higher compression ratio that you will have with your stroker, watch out for pinging with a stock camshaft profile. Backing off the timing because of pinging is definately the wrong solution. At lower rpm's, its a balancing act with cam, compression, fuel (Octane) and ignition timing. As mentioned, stock EFI won't work with this combination.

At this point a mild grind cam must be used to make it all come together properly. Just remember, your cam is your engines brain...get this wrong (over enthusiasm) and you're going to be driving a 'pig'........you need to keep low rpm torque man and that means a conservative profile. I've had good success with turbo grinds....they have minimal valve overlap. Check them out!

Cheers.

Best way to get it together is to build you MS, copy his program in, and swap units with him, to debug your system. Then build your harnesses modeled after his, and I'd go with EDIS as well, it's a great little system. This way, you know your MS will work, and you can swap out parts with the other guy if he's willing to help you get it all together. (swap out parts to check and make certain that everything works, I mean.)

Best torque will be realized with a MS, turbo cam, and a T3/T4 hanging off the exhaust manifold, methinks.

I was thinking of the stage 1 cam from the Z store. Or an Schneider stage 1 cam.
Those are the same cam - MSA resells Schneider cams.

But in your first post you said you were concerned with low end torque, not high rpm power. Why would you go with a cam with more valve overlap?

The stock NA cams all have a pretty flat torque curve at low revs and fall off pretty fast after 4500 or so. From what you've said you want, why not stay with the stock cam?

...But in your first post you said you were concerned with low end torque, not high rpm power. Why would you go with a cam with more valve overlap?

The stock NA cams all have a pretty flat torque curve at low revs and fall off pretty fast after 4500 or so. From what you've said you want, why not stay with the stock cam?

It really depends on your compression ratio. You will have detonation with a high comp. ratio and a stock cam because the stock cam creates a relatively high dynamic compression ratio. With a 10.2:1 ratio, I wouldn't go with a stock cam because it will be fairly likely that you'll run into detonation problems and have to dial back your timing. If you want to keep your low end torque which I would imagine you would, dial down the compression and go with a stock or similar-to-stock cam profile.

Altering the timing events has a drastic effect on lower end torque. An adjustable cam gear and some dyno time will maximize your power using a stock cam and some tweaking to get the torque curve down lower in the RPM range.

BTW, what is that on your bonnet? It...loooooks like....a Lincoln...Continental......hoood ornamentation.....

Hmmmm, and L28 Powered Truck... This could come in Handy in the USA. I will make a note of it, and put it on the list with the DOHC Opel Engine to put in the container...

Altering the timing events has a drastic effect on lower end torque. An adjustable cam gear and some dyno time will maximize your power using a stock cam and some tweaking to get the torque curve down lower in the RPM range.

Yes Tony, tell him about slipping a tooth on the cam sprocket like you did for those guys in Japan........

I did that by accident once on my dad's C110 L24........absolutely transformed it. :twisted:

Oh, and I can send you an MQ, an E32, a P65, Y70......:mrgreen:.......if you like?

Good eyes Tony! That ornament was an souvenir from a trip to the US years ago. And, yes, it was from a junkyard......:mrgreen::mrgreen:

But If you want one of those L28 powered Patrols, start looking already cause they rust faster than you can weld new sheetmetal in!

So, Tony, you recommend to get an adjustable cam gear and use the stock cam?