HybridZ

Phlebmaster's 1972 C20 Evolution***56k- NO WAY!

Phlebmaster

Well, I did what I said and picked up an older Chevy truck after I sold my 240z. ;) I just got it home this morning.

I now have a 1972 Chevy C20 3/4 ton Camper Special. :) I paid $600.00 for this beast. She needs a few things but there is very little in the way of rust and I just happen to have an extra 350 sbc to throw in once it is re done. :D

I have not had time to look every little thing over...but the truck has a 350 and I am not sure if it has the TH350 or TH400 since it is a 3/4 ton. But it runs good, sounds good, and shifts nice.

Ok...here are the pics.

2053u3l.jpg

16c7swm.jpg

16iv5s6.jpg

21e7qyf.jpg

25fnp.jpg

25zpc0n.jpg

The obligatory extra parts. :lol:

nmcad4.jpg

oi8z68.jpg

I can tow stuff now. :D

200agcw.jpg

2v1vxn4.jpg

2ilhmbp.jpg

v3db9j.jpg

n4d40j.jpg

124k2s3.jpg

2imal2c.jpg

Not the prettiest example of a classic Chevy truck...but very functional and workable. :)

34hat7a.jpg

I picked this up! Edelbrock Performer intake.

2ynnu34.jpg

Got me some double hump 461 heads. :)

aa9iqp.jpg

fbajbm.jpg

The ZZ4 is coming together. :D

apfqkw.jpg

332cev7.jpg

2ljgq9x.jpg

I got me a 650 Holley on the cheap and a 1" spacer. Got everything mounted up on the Performer intake and ready for Saturday when I put all this on my truck. :D

x3spvq.jpg

15ujk9.jpg

2hz73b7.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, after much research and discussion with those who know about what I plan on doing with my engine I have decided to do this one step at a time rather than all at once.

Tonight I put my new intake and Holley 750 on. :D I will install my cam once I get heavier springs. I can tell you this about the stock crap that was on my truck...the intake had a bunch of loose bolts and all of the fittings were not tight either. It is a wonder it even ran! :P I fixed that though. :)

I will not be able to test this new stuff out untill I get a new water fitting that runs from the intake to the heater core.

Here are the obligatory pics of the swap!

So it begins,,,,

30wov84.jpg

2i78cwz.jpg

330xxt1.jpg

333brsm.jpg

2yuio9t.jpg

e6t0sz.jpg

Now that feels better already! Damn that thing is heavy!!

2ai29sj.jpg

15f0m7o.jpg

rviro8.jpg

All finished for tonight...I can't wait to start her up tomorrow! :)

29fpbbm.jpg

2s1szo9.jpg

I started to tear apart my motor tonight so I can put my new heads on and make sure my cylinder walls are ok.

2wechvp.jpg

zu0bhv.jpg

vqnlvl.jpg

bafc3.jpg

rhipu1.jpg

2cyr52v.jpg

2luuhaf.jpg

I have dished pistons so I can get away with the small chamber heads I am going to use. :D

1gmbuw.jpg

A little paint for show....

6r6iwz.jpg

The 624 heads that were on my truck are the 1.72 valve!! :( I am glad to not have to use them any more. Now I have a set of 1.84 1.50 valve 58cc heads. :D You can compare the old head on top with the 58cc head below.

2ez6x00.jpg

2mnqjkn.jpg

I got me a new Edelbrock 1404 500 CFM carb tonight that is actually NEW!! Thanks to Blackice280z and kamakazi620. :) I also have a good Q-jet coming tomorrow....so I will have two q-jets (one good & one worn out) and one new 1404 carb at my disposal. I am very happy about that. :)

68au8h.jpg

oaaicp.jpg

Funny thing...it says Weber on it! lol

xeg2hg.jpg

2rp48lw.jpg

Edited by Phlebmaster

• 2 weeks later...

I got bored this weekend so I decided to swap in my cam. :D The cam is a Comp Cams Magnum series 270H 112LSA with the 4/7 swap. This was actually easier than I thought it would be. I have no coil bind or issues with my rocker travel. The springs are new springs so will work with this cam until I can get my vortecs.

Here are the pics.

This picture was a big help!

2j17byp.jpg

I was happy to see this under the timing cover. :)

2lrl2t.jpg

Here is the old lifter...it looks like someone has replaced them along with the cam because the cam looks to be in great shape and these are definitely Comp Cams lifters.

112hh00.jpg

21ad0me.jpg

Here is the new cam all lubed up and ready to slip in.

2wf25vm.jpg

n350f5.jpg

Here is the old timing set, I am looking for a gear drive set up.

10p99hd.jpg

It was late so I was not going to rev the motor at 2000 rpm for 20 minutes...I will do this later today. :) Video to follow of course!

Edited by Phlebmaster

Here is the promised video. :)

This was my first time swaping a sbc cam. I left the 081 heads stock on my 350, but put new extreme push rods, 270h cam, and lifters. So, you can run a .470 lift cam on stock heads,(WOULDN'T RECOMMEND IT...but I did it). I spent many weeks looking for that answer ans now I have the experience for my self. I also could not find a good sound clip of this special grind cam online- so now there is one....enjoy!

Just so you know, I am running 305 (081) heads on my 350 and I am very happy with the results. I read way too many posts on way too many forums saying yes...no...yes..no....and I was like what the hell?? So I did this for my own knowledge and experience.

So, let's sum this up:

First Myth: you can't run 305 heads on a 350......

Can you run 305 heads on your 350? = YES! And you can get a decent flow with the right heads, stay away from the swirl port heads. Use the 081 non-swirl type. I would have prefered to used some 350 after market heads or maybe even vortecs....but I had these heads so I used them. 350 heads will out flow and out perform any 305 heads anyday, but if that is what you got...them use them.

Be carefull about your compression ratio, I have stock 12.5cc- 4 valve relief dished pistons and with 58cc 305 heads I am at about 9.74:1 to 10.00:1 compression so I will be running premium fuel. Flat top pistons will make your compression ratio bump beyond that and you may be buying expensive gas to drive your rig....so look out for that.

Next myth: max lift for stock heads is .450 or ?????.....

Can you run a .470 lift cam on stock heads?? = YES! but you must make sure you look for coil binding and clearance between the spring retainer and valve guide before you run the motor. DO NOT REV your motor the moon!! Stock springs especially worn ones will not handle the ramping at all, and you will have valve float. I recommend using the recommended set-up by your cam manufacturer.

I went through many weeks of looking for a simple answer online and never found a strait answer. I hope this information helps the next person who reads this post.

Edited by Phlebmaster

Getting ready to pull my 350 and rebuild the bottom end. I test fitted my headers to make sure of my clearance and they fit nicely with very few mods.

My gear drive is soaking in heavy oil pending install when I pull the motor. I will make sure to document to the entire rebuild including the cam gear drive in order to hopefully help the next guy out.

First thing I will do is make a video of my header exhaust sounds with the cam prior to running that noisy cam gear, then an after video is in order.