HybridZ

Car & Driver 0-60 Quote?

Mauisnow13

I was looking at this page from the FAQ's and saw that they quoted the 0-60 of the '71 240z with an L28 at 6.6sec. I searched for the info from Car & Driver, as that's where it said it was obtained from but couldn't find anything. I'm trying to figure out if that quote is for the NA L28 or the Turbo L28.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm kinda curious. Here's the link to the FAQ page.

http://zhome.com/History/zcarperf.html

I have that issue somewhere! It's an NA orange 71 with triples and a Supertrapp, and all the goodies (5speed, diff swap, swaybars, lowered, and running sticky tires for the day A001R's, Racer Brown cam, headers, etc).

The gist of the story was whether the old 240Z could keep up with the "new" 300ZX Turbo. I think the ZX got smoked in all tests. But of course it was much more civilized...

I was looking at this page from the FAQ's and saw that they quoted the 0-60 of the '71 240z with an L28 at 6.6sec. I searched for the info from Car & Driver, as that's where it said it was obtained from but couldn't find anything. I'm trying to figure out if that quote is for the NA L28 or the Turbo L28.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm kinda curious. Here's the link to the FAQ page.

http://zhome.com/History/zcarperf.html

If you are refering to the November 1986 issue of Car and Driver I am holding a copy as I am writing this. As bradyzq stated to a tee (good memery) An orange Z with all the goodies. Titled (Reader's Revenge "So you think your golden oldie delivers more smiles per mile, Mr. Degarzia? Prove it." The car is a 1971 240z compaired to a 1996 300zx Turbo. The 240Z had a 2753 cc low compression long block bolted to his early era head. There is a Racer Brown cam, competition valves and springs, triple Mikuni 44PHH, Header to a 2.5 inch pipe with a Supertrap. C/D estimates 155 hp @ 6000 150 lb-ft @4000. 0-60 mph. in 6.6, 0-100 in 18.7, 1/4-mile 14.9 @91 mph. With the fat sticky Yokohama A001-R in 225-60-14 had a road holding 300 ft. skidpad, G 0.89, 1000 ft. slalom, mph 62.8) ( Reader's Revenge. Ceppos, R. Nov. 1986 Car and Driver,)

My first rebuild of my car many years ago was a combo of How to Hotrod you Datsun/Nissan and this article. I used a 240 block and Webers, I had gold centered Enkie 92 15x7 with Yokohama 195-60-15 and a Supertrap.

I was temporarly living in Bellingham WA when I purchased my car In Calif. My room mate said I should go to the libary to do reasearch on my Z. So I went to the libary. When I walked in, there was a cart with magazines on it being given away. The Nov 1986 Car and Driver magizine was there. I went in and read the article and thought , that is what I want to do to my car. The magazine has been with me ever since.

See picture, it is the best digital picture I have of the car I that state.

summer 06 192_thumb.jpg

summer 06 191_thumb.jpg

Not really, time and performance marches on. The 'good old days'... really weren't.

But let me ask you one thing:

Does driving the Camry result in any sort of tactile feedback or sensory stimulation whatsoever?

I have driven really quick newer Corvettes. They are a hoot. But they are also sanitary. I get a similar feeling in some of the 350's I've been carted around in or drove. They're a realy hoot to drive, and relatively quick easily. But leave me wanting something they don't give.

As a second car, I'll take a 13 second 240Z over many of the current generation 13 second cars... Now, if I had to use it as an appliance, to get to and from work in stop and go traffic with A/C and a good Stereo... I might take that Challenger Hemi or Z whatever Vette... Frankly for that I'd be happy with a Mini Cooper S. Meh, it's like buying a refrigerator any more. It's all the same mishmash of crap out there, the market is pretty boring.

For smiles per gallon...I probably have to agree the older cars got the new stuff beat. You can always get a smile driving something to the edge, anything---but the older cars provide that at a lower speed in most cases. Probably safer, though not if you shunt and twist it hard! Then you probably fare better in the refrigerator you bought off the new-car lot this year.

But a Camry? Shoot me and stick me in the dumpster, I don't want to live!

No, newer cars dont to me either Tony, I have owned several older cars,a 70 fastback Mustang was my second car in 1985,then a 73 vega gt,a 73 oldsmobile omega,me and my father had a total of 6 mustangs at once in 1986.

2 69 Mach 1's and three 70 fastbacks,and a 66 coupe .He currently is restoring a 77 corvette and me the 76 280z ,the older cars just have a totally different feel to them the moment you sit down in the drivers seat,the body contours and design just have something to them that is lost in most newer cars .

Iunno, I hear about a camry doing a 5.x second 0-60 and for at least a moment i have to wonder "how". Indeed technology does move on, but thats what i like to know. I concur entirely about the thrill of driving our old cars, much more "machine" and raw like than anything else. But I want to understand new technology so I can make my old car better- as is typical with the hybridz mentality.

But the point i was really making was in relation to the 0-60 times others have posted. If a simple camry can do such good times, surely our cars can do better with some proper thought and work. Granted in this case its mostly tire and a moderate traction control system- Its just neat to think about how far cars and their technology have come from our 40 year old cars.

Im sure you guys could post much much better times than that!

Like that modifed L28 with the mikunis only doing a 6.6sec 0-60mph, gees who was driving.... miss daisy?

My daily r31 wagon, which has a lightly moded RB30 N/A with 120rwkw (~160hp) & weighs 300kg (~666lbs) more than a zed pulls 0-100kmh (~62mph) in 6.7sec!

So im pretty sure you could do alot better with a zed! (my zed runs 0-60 in ....well i cant push it that fast! lol)

Yeah about the new car thing, they arent as fun to drive, a very sterile generic feeling! Even my mums new maxima is faster then my r31, but not as fun or as communicative! But the r31 is not even a spot on the feeling i get from driving my Datsuns (as long as im not stuck in heavy city traffic)! New cars are even begining to look the same too!

Its just neat to think about how far cars and their technology have come from our 40 year old cars.

I'm on the other end, I'm rather disapointed that the aftermarket has pretty much not moved at all from where it was 25 years ago when the L-Engine went out of production. The power hasn't changed... There really are very few ideas for maximizing horsepower. Many talk of this or that as a 'new' innovation, but really there are only so many ways to skin a cat...

Really, nothing startling has happened to make power levels rise above where they were in 1984 for an aftermarket engine setup.

I guess I'm just a pessimist.

As for the OEM's... argh. IMO they are forced to go in the wrong direction, and being in Japan right now I see a whole plethora of Kei Cars I'd buy and drive back home....if I was allowed! I got to stop now...I'll get into trouble, as I'm in a foul mood to begin with anyway!

Not really, time and performance marches on. The 'good old days'... really weren't.

But let me ask you one thing:

Does driving the Camry result in any sort of tactile feedback or sensory stimulation whatsoever?

I have driven really quick newer Corvettes. They are a hoot. But they are also sanitary. I get a similar feeling in some of the 350's I've been carted around in or drove. They're a realy hoot to drive, and relatively quick easily. But leave me wanting something they don't give.

As a second car, I'll take a 13 second 240Z over many of the current generation 13 second cars... Now, if I had to use it as an appliance, to get to and from work in stop and go traffic with A/C and a good Stereo... I might take that Challenger Hemi or Z whatever Vette... Frankly for that I'd be happy with a Mini Cooper S. Meh, it's like buying a refrigerator any more. It's all the same mishmash of crap out there, the market is pretty boring.

For smiles per gallon...I probably have to agree the older cars got the new stuff beat. You can always get a smile driving something to the edge, anything---but the older cars provide that at a lower speed in most cases. Probably safer, though not if you shunt and twist it hard! Then you probably fare better in the refrigerator you bought off the new-car lot this year.

But a Camry? Shoot me and stick me in the dumpster, I don't want to live!

I agree. We had a Mini come into the shop and I did some suspension work on it which "required" me to take it out around the block to let it settle down. Right hand drive, sitting low, tiny buzzy car. Slower than my Z but it was ridiculously fun to drive. Just the whole right hand drive thing got me bouncing off the walls...

Oh and I believe it was Tony who explained to me how in Japan, the production of the L20A-L28et really took off compared to America. You used the analogy that here in the States we know all sorts of trick ♥♥♥♥ for pushrod V8's because thats our thing. With that said:

11.03 Second 1/4 mile off of a street NA Z. So I mean, take it how you wish.

Like that modifed L28 with the mikunis only doing a 6.6sec 0-60mph, gees who was driving.... miss daisy?

Agreed. That sounds pretty slow considering the parts list. Probably a combo of bad carb tune and that muffler choking things up. Supertrapps really aren't a good idea (sorry to the guy who posted pictures of his, but it's true).