HybridZ

'73 240Z LT-1/T-56 project underway

Ok, I'm starting a LT1 V8 swap into a '73 240Z. I was in high school when I first saw a Z car with a small block Chevy under the hood and have wanted a V8 Z car ever since (umm, that was over 20 years ago...). This summer I finally got serious about building one.

So I bought a rough '73 240Z for $450 as the project car and a very low mile LT1 for $2500 to put in it. Then I bought a '97 Camaro Z28 with a hydrolocked engine and T-56 to use as a donor. But, the project stalled because I ended up putting the LT1 into the Camaro and decided to keep it (too fun, too fast & too nice to part out). A couple of weeks later I found a '95 Firebird Formula with an LT1 and T56 and it is now the organ donor. Funny how things fall into place sometime!

The hydrolocked LT1 that was originally in the Z28 is now at the machine shop and will be getting rebuilt. It threw the #8 rod, but fortunately it didn't damage the block or the cam. The engine will be getting Edelbrock performer heads, Edelbrock cam, Edelbrock 52mm T-body, Corvette style water pump, Accel optispark dizzy, Bowers A/C relo mount and a power steering pump delete pulley. A Zoom high performance clutch will be used to put the power to the T-56. The stock R-180 has been replaced with a 3.90 R200. New urethane bushings, KYB struts and Eibach springs have already been installed.

Once the JTR mounts arrive, I'll be pulling the engine/tranny from the Firebird and start the swap into the Z. Then I can start sorting out the details, like how to mount the accelerator cable, clutch MC, PCM, wiring, fuel lines, etc... I'll also be able to make measurements for the drive shaft and take it to a shop to have it shortened. Then it will be off to the exhaust shop for a 2-1/2" single exhaust system.

After all this work is done, the rebuilt engine should be ready. At that point, I'll drop the drivetrain, refinish the engine bay on the Z and put it all back together with the rebuilt engine. Hopefully I'll have the car on the road by spring.

DSC03243_thumb.JPG

DSC03247_thumb.JPG

DSC03938_thumb.JPG

DSC03942_thumb.JPG

The fenders were rusted through in the usual spot. A little work with the MIG fixed them right up. I used USC Duraglass to coat the repaired section, then shot the fender with PPG 182 high build primer. Evercoat glazing putty was then used to skim coat the low spots. More high build primer, lots of sanding and the fenders are smooth as I can get them. I'll shoot them with PPG epoxy primer, top coat with Cobalt Blue, then a few clear coats.

DSC03311_thumb.jpg

DSC03319_thumb.jpg

DSC03342_thumb.JPG

DSC03352_thumb.JPG

DSC03360_thumb.JPG

The hood turned out to be in real good shape. I found one crack near the left front edge, and 2 dents that had a fair amount of filler along the front edge. I used a stud welder I got at Harbor Freight to weld studs to the dents and pull them out. Not perfect, but each dent will now only require a skim coat of filler. I used the MIG to fix the crack.

DSC03975_thumb.JPG

DSC03983_thumb.JPG

DSC04010_thumb.JPG

DSC04051_thumb.JPG

DSC04053_thumb.JPG

I'm currently working on the doors. The ones on the car are shot. Rusted through and dented up. I found a seemingly solid pair through an ad on Craigslist. The drivers side door had a couple of dents that the stud welder helped pull out, but is otherwise in great shape.

DSC04066_thumb.JPG

DSC04068_thumb.JPG

DSC04081_thumb.JPG

DSC04089_thumb.JPG

DSC04108_thumb.JPG

I sprayed the wheel wells with a Cobalt Blue single stage paint from PPG. Man, that was a messy job, getting the wheel wells cleaned up. I started with a heat gun & scraper to remove most of the undercoating that was there. Then I used laquer thinner & a Scotchbrite pad. The going was slow so I broke down and used a sand blaster. Even with plastic sheeting put up I still am finding abrasive everywhere in the shop!

I haven't done much with the actual underbody yet, as I have a few holes to patch. I'm planning to use a pair of seats I picked up at the salvage yard and will probably need to make changes to the seat mounts in the car. And I don't know if I'll need to make any changes to the tranny tunnel for the T56 yet. Once I get things sorted out I'll spray a little rubberized undercoating on the belly.

The information on this site has been extremely helpful so far. Without this site I wouldn't have known about the A/C relo kit or the power steering delete pulley kit. And it is great to see the V8 swaps that others have done.

It took me awhile to decide which way to go: carbureted or fuel injected. I'm an old skool kinda guy and dig the sound of a 4bbl when the secondaries open up and start sucking a lot of air! Ultimately I decided to go with a more modern approach with the LT1. I'm also a closet techno geek, so the thought of tuning the PCM and making small, modern upgrades to the car holds great appeal for me.

18831_thumb.attach

DSC03963_thumb.JPG

DSC03970_thumb.JPG

• 1 month later...

Ok, I have only been able to squeeze in an hour here and there, but I finally got the engine and transmission mounted in the car. The JTR mounts are in place for the engine and the tranny is currently held in place with a lug nut wrench (X shape) and a chain.

I made a cardboard template for the tranny crossmember, similar to one I saw here on the site. We shall see if my welding skilz are up to the task of fabricating it, otherwise I'll take the template to a machine shop and have one made.

I have a R/T diffy mount that is ready to go in once I remove the exhaust hanger bracket that is in the way. I don't have a drill that will fit into the tranny tunnel so I can't drill out the spot welds. Harbor Freight, here I come, I need a cheep right angle drill!

Once I get the tranny crossmember installed I'll take the car to a drive line shop to have the drive shaft shortened and the drive line angles checked. The next stop will be a muffler shop to get the exhaust system built and installed. I've got a pair of the Sanderson "D" port headers from JTR that I still need to test fit. Based on the experience of others, these should do the trick.

I picked up a Wilwood small clutch master cylinder from an outfit called Speedway Motors (http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Wilwood-Clutch-and-Small-Brake-Master-Cylinder,8567.html). I also picked up an adapter that will mount in the stock T56 slave cylinder and allow an AN3 fitting to be used. The clutch plumbing should be easy. I'll post pics after I get it plumbed.

I bought a radiator locally that should be the same as the one offered by JTR. It fit perfectly in the JTR radiator mount. I haven't got the radiator hoses yet, although I've got a few ideas on how to cut & plumb them. I picked up a 2-speed electric fan at a salvage yard from a '90's Merc (can't recall the specific model). It fit perfectly in the JTR mount. I drilled & tapped 2 mounting holes on each side of the aluminum uprights to mount the fan.

Here are a few shots of the recent progress.

DSC04331_thumb.JPG

DSC04344_thumb.JPG

DSC03965_thumb.JPG

DSC04357_thumb.JPG

Looks like you've made a good start. Like Bartman I used the Bower AC mount. You have to "adjust" the strut tower a little to gain some clearance but it works great.
Initially I just massaged the strut tower too, but eventually I had to actually modify the mount itself to prevent contact under some conditions.

• 6 years later...

Well, it has been quite some time since I started this project. Still not done, but the good news is I have the car running.

I mounted the PCM under the passenger seat, which required a lot of soldering to "stretch" the wiring.

The interior work is done. Seats, door panels, tranny tunnel, headliner and rear strut mounts have been done in leather. Added a power window kit from MS ACCESS.

I'll post more photos later, having trouble uploading from my phone.

post-6246-0-08126500-1469111573_thumb.jpg