HybridZ

N 42 head to L 24 block

team_infidel

Most heads are interchangeable between the blocks although some say you might need some slight modifications. I personally have only delt with putting head on the F54 (L28) block, and they all work.

depending on what head you already have on(it should be a E88, but could be another if the engine was replaced at one time) and you put on the N42, the biggest difference will be the larger valves.

If you're going to replace the head, why don't you just drop in the whole L28?

Yes, you might have to eyebrow the smaller bore in the L24 block. A 260Z block had these 'eyebrows' in it already as they moved to larger valves in those heads.

It all depends on your head and how it lines up, some won't hit, others do. Mine did, but didn't bend a valve and only put maybe a 0.020" nick in the block where the valve went by...and then only on three cylinders.

A quick clearance with a die drinder with some grease to protect the top of the piston and rings from swarf falling in during the process, and you don't even need to pull the engine apart to do that!

A quick clearance with a die drinder with some grease to protect the top of the piston and rings from swarf falling in during the process, and you don't even need to pull the engine apart to do that!

At some point in this process, you have to turn the crank to drop the 'other' pistons down their bores for grinding........good luck with the timing chain!

Yes, you might have to eyebrow the smaller bore in the L24 block. A 260Z block had these 'eyebrows' in it already as they moved to larger valves in those heads.

It all depends on your head and how it lines up, some won't hit, others do. Mine did, but didn't bend a valve and only put maybe a 0.020" nick in the block where the valve went by...and then only on three cylinders.

This is what mine looks like, looks like the valves 'self cleared'

Nigel

18983_thumb.attach

• 3 weeks later...
will you have to clearance or "Eye beow" an f54 block if you put an N-42 head on it? I have an f-54 with flat tops that origionally came with a p-79. Will the valves hit the sides??? -dan

L28 block and head. No. (so long as there isn't any radically oversized valves in that N42).

• 1 year later...